retarded Air Filter question

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by wotsgoodinthehood, Mar 13, 2007.

1. muppet9966 Forum Member

Here, you can just make out my hot air feed, its placed on the manifold as I have no shoud to connect the feed to.
    [​IMG]

2. westonamission Forum Member

Yer sorry, That pic is how mine was, ran fine at speed but idled like a bag o' crap but that was cos the floats were out of alignment and the it was full of scale. i did put a gti cam in after the carb rebuild and got rid of the stuid flexible intake. was well worth the cam, with hind sight i would have bought a new carb. I was just about to buy 1800 jets when some one lost it round a bend and hit me full frontal!!
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WEBER-DMTR-DM...ryZ36680QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
    thats the filter iwas on about BTW will fit these carbs, so will the plenum. the top of the carb where the box' goes on with sealing ring can be removed, see the adapter on the plenum type thing? that goes inits place. the filter box on the sprint fujimiwhatsit mounts below the adapter plate. see the cut out? all amtl and dmtr carbs have this shape body under the top plate. wasn't sure if you knew this.

3. westonamission Forum Member

P.S the only problem i could see with the sprint filter would be bonnet and rocker cover clearance. the alernative to all of the aboove is to drill holes on the intake side of the box. this will give a minor reduction in resistance and a great sound. the orginal filters aren't actually that pish and with o.e ones my dmtl sucked well without holes. I think aftermaket ones are a waste of time, especially when you haven't done much else have you? PPS if you haven't already buy a gti camshft, right now it is the cheapest and v.effective way of getting more out of the 1600. also before the insco wrote her off i was looking at maybe putting GTD pistons in my driver ?? if you can find a set any where !!

4. wotsgoodinthehood Forum Member

I am considering a GTi camshaft in the near future...I'm planning on having the angriest driver on the Wirral!! [:x] :lol: ...one day i will just wake up and buy a GTi (when insurance allows)!!

How big would the holes have to be? What are GTD pistons? first i've heard of them!![:$]

5. andypaterson Forum Member

I've got a replacement panetl filter, and i think it will fit the 1.6 driver. Let me check the specs.

It's part number 33-2001, which k&n say will fit 1990 VOLKSWAGEN GOLF 1.6L L4 DSL - All. here's the k&n website:

http://www.knfilters.com/search/applications.aspx?Prod=33-2001

[​IMG]

Yours for 15 incl postage if you want?

i bought it off eBay months ago, as the seller told me it would fit my 8v GTi. Suffice to say, it didnt :p

6. muppet9966 Forum Member

Yeah that looks like the right filter for a carbed 1.6/1.8.

7. andypaterson Forum Member

I could measure the dimensions if you're interested.

8. wotsgoodinthehood Forum Member

Cheers atomic. it's worth having a butchers. But i'm pretty sure its No.33-2092 that fits my model. I will check your dimensions against my filter still.

Just double-checked the model number on K&N site. It is the 33-2092 that I need; its a lot deeper than the one in your pic. Thanks for the offer though chief!!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2007
  9. andypaterson Forum Member

Ok, i'll take some measurements with my trusty ruler later and leave it up to you. Cant be arsed buggering about with postage if it's gonna be the wrong one :p

10. maxmo

maxmo Forum Member

I think the DSL part on the K&N site means it fits a diesel. MK2 golf diesels are 1600.

11. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

:lol: You're not wrong Barkstar, but maybe not appreciating all of the 'intent'?

Peeps want to spend money on extra bits that'll make their motor more 'their own creation' if you get what I mean. To take a different example, I work in electronics, so to build my own hi-fi amp is a 'no-brainer' or nearly so. But I'm hugely proud of what I've made, it is unique, and to me it sounds gorgeous. Rigorous testing might well reveal it to be nothing special at all 'on paper', though. Not tempted to get it tested, 'cos that might change how I feel about it...

Seriously considered K+N panel filter myself a while back, the re-usability appeals to my 'environmental' attitude.

Pete

12. eamon1.3 Forum Member

Was having a look about the scrap yard today and was looking at the engine of a 1.6/1.8 mk3. Looks like the complete air box assembly would fit ok, if the bolts holding it to the tb would be the same as the carb, had a cold air feed going down through the body aswell, might be an option??

13. westonamission Forum Member

actually what i meant was gtd con rods and maybe bottom end. 1600 diesel, more compression!!

14. golf2 Forum Member

I bought a K&N bolt on kit for my old 1.6 carb, and to be honest it was a complete waste of time and money.

It didnt make any difference to the sound at all. To get a proper roar u'd be better off making a few holes in the airbox, it seems to echo the sound more if you know what i mean.

Also the K&N bolt on kit doesnt come with any breather pipe fitment, so you will have to modify that in some way.

15. golf2 Forum Member

16. wotsgoodinthehood Forum Member

17. westonamission Forum Member

18. Barkstar Forum Member

Oh yes, been there and done that, but as I've been involved in motorsport for 20 odd years I'm much more into buying oily bits that no one gets to see. And once the new motor is finished I'll get a deal of pleasure from going bl**dy quickly in a Driver that looks totally std under the bonnet. We all like to put our own stamp on a car but if fitting a bit of expensive 'bling' makes it run cr*p then doing it is Muppetry.

Ohh! All that old oil and solvents going down the drain when you clean it - that's done for your tree hugging credentials. :lol: My rubber and paper number should rot down nicely ;)

Barkstar [:D]

19. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

:lol: Paper it is then!

Cheers,

Pete

P.S. Still wanting to know if there's an easy way to tell whether or not a GTi camshaft has been fitted in my driver by a previous owner...

20. maxmo

maxmo Forum Member

Can you find out what the timing is set at. You need GTI timing settings with a GTI cam.