Roll Cage Advice

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by gofasterpinch, Apr 26, 2006.

1. gofasterpinch Forum Member

roll cage opinions wanted!

right so, got some cash for christmas and im gonna use it to get my shell prepped.

after seeing an OMP cage fitted and thinking [xx(] i tried to get a safety devices one. no onei spoke to dealt with SD any more and even so, the cup spec cage for my polo was 750+VAT :o [8(] which i thought was a tad expensive for a bolt in cage!

so the only way forward is bespoke cage. ive been recommended this place by loads of the rally boys http://www.protectionandperformance.co.uk/ have a look on their site at some of the cars theyve done they look really good!

although now i have to decide what spec to go to! bolt in or weld in? should i get the front legs extended onto the front struts? i know i definitely want X door bars and X diagonal with harness bars. any other suggestions?? please post pics of your cages if you have them!!

[:D]

2. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Click me...

Use these guys to get a SD cage - if it can be got at a good price they will find it for you. Amazing service :thumbup:

3. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

I know one or two people that use this guy:

http://www.robinson-race-cars.co.uk/

He usually makes cages from dragsters etc but has done road cars too. Anything he doesn't know about roll cages isn't worth knowing about :-)

However, cheap probably it won't be.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2007
  4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I'd look at budget, and potential future use for the car. Some race series rule out extending to turrets, and you ain't going to want to saw through those.

Track days: I'd say extend to turrets: it can save your shell for you.

Sprints: Dogwood/RobT can probably comment on any rule trip wires for multipoint cages and sprint class implications (if any).

5. gofasterpinch Forum Member

the car is being built for stage rallying so the cage has to be MSA approved. blue book has diagrams in it of whats allowed and whats not so i am going to be following that. the entire shell is getting seam stitched and gusseted where necessary (chassis legs, strut tops) im looking to run in the 1400cc championships so i will check the regs for those, thanks fro pointing that out

6. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

For rallying, turret links ideally if the regs allow.

7. gofasterpinch Forum Member

means i might have to get myself a red top 20 battery and put it behind the navigator seat then :)

8. Yoof Forum Member

you need a plastic roll cage in your life pinchy, mine cost 12 from b&q :lol:

[​IMG]

Good job i just ordered my CDS to replace the plastic, should work a little better me thinks.

Mk3 polos need all the help they can get on the front end, spoken to alot of people about cage designs (seems there are as many vary opinions as any other subject), steve reccomended extending through to the turrets, but like you say, requires fusebox and battery to be relocated.

Do you have to keep the dash in for your regs?

9. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Quite a good thing to force yourself to do though :)

5kgs, or whatever they weigh, moved back and 3/4 a metre lower.

10. gofasterpinch Forum Member

dash is staying in. basically because i think it looks cack without. AND my new dash is flocked, so would be rude not to.

i'd forgotten about the fusebox, not really an issue, as i'd planned to mount the fusebox on the dash anyway and im going to get a red top 20 dry cell battery i think

11. kayeabl Forum Member

Rollcentre Racing

Evening,

Going by personal experience have a word with Roll Centre racing in St Iver (Cambridgeshire).

They built the cage in my Mk1 track car and know what they are doing, are reasonably priced and extremely helpful.

Personally safety devices i found a nightmare to deal with and got fed up with them in the end.

might be worth a phonecall.

Cheers

Ash

12. gofasterpinch Forum Member

roll centre is too far away!! protection and performance is about 40mins away from my house.

i phoned them today asking for a quote, they are ringing me back tomorrow

13. Yoof Forum Member

Is that owned by Martin Shaw?? They prep LMP cars etc?

14. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

Martin Short and yes, Mosler, Radicals, LMP's etc.

15. jamesa Forum Junkie

Protection & Performance

....emailed re. a quote for a Mk2 GOLF GTI a few days ago, awaiting reply.

16. vwd40 Forum Member

I'd be interested to know exactly what spec you have asked for and their price?

17. jamesa Forum Junkie

Spec:

Sunroof model - six point bolt-in - rear diagonal - rear strut brace - harness bar - door bars - painted ...price 950 + VAT installed.

I did ask for the front cage to go through the dash but this was not identified in the quote so would have to clarify. Also enquired about seat mounts - welded bars across the floorpan attached to the sills - they would need to see the car before quoting.

They do not have an `off the shelf` design for the Mk2 and would want the car for 2 to 3 weeks.

18. gofasterpinch Forum Member

i was quoted "about a grand" at autosport when i spoke to them, this was a multipoint weld in cage, X diagonal, X doorbars, harness bars, and extensions to the front turrents through the bulkhead, and my non sunroof roofskin fitted

19. IanCarvell Forum Member

Custom cages now do a reasonably priced bolt in kit for the Mk2, but you will need to weld it together yourself before you bolt it in. Which is a bit of a pain for pigeon crap welders like me, but could save you a few quid.

20. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

P&P quoted me 600 last year, this year it was 1200.

I'm going to see their workshops shortly and hopefully book my Corrado in for a full weld in. everything I've seen so far that they have done has been very very good.