Roll cage

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by MR D, Oct 6, 2004.

1. MR D Forum Member

Safety devices no-01353724202 based in soham ely .Hope that helps

Here is a pic of me fitting rear cage

[​IMG]
    Edited by: MR D

2. Nurburgring Forum Member

removable diagonal or fixed? That is my debate at the mo...................

Any opinions?

3. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

I have gone for removable as i need to fit my drum-kit in.

The shear strength rating of the 2 bolts holding the removable rear diagonal in is 8 tonnes, so it would take massive force to snap them - so it's still pretty strong. ;)

4. Nurburgring Forum Member

yeah was thinking removable diagonal just incase i need a bit of room.

Think i will go the removable route then if the mounting's are that strong.

does the rear cage truely give 200% more rear stiffness?

5. barny Forum Member

the stiffness increase is massive - but recommend getting the front too, with door bars. They all compliment each other immensley.

6. GT2 Rocco Forum Member

How easy was that to fit, cos I want to do get one for my mk2 rocco aswell + the front section can you bolt it to the rear with no problems such as dash damage?

7. MR D Forum Member

Will keep you posted mate have taken all interior out now as it says in instructions.As for the front bars you have to cut off both ends of the dash where the vents are for the legs to fit.As for it fitting the rear legs fit flush to the rear arches but there is about one inch gap either side where the door pillar bars are where it connects to the inner sill did mention this yesterday when i e mailed s-devices . and said i would be able to get them to fit with a push and they havn`t said anything today when they e mailed me back so must be ok ? anyone no other please let me know:p

[​IMG]

P.s anyone for a swim in my indoor pool ?

8. MR D Forum Member

Iwant some of thease but v expensive and only 5 stud i think

[​IMG]

9. MR D Forum Member

With regard to hacking the dash up this is what i have done .Not sure what i will do to tidy it up yet but i will sort something out. Not sure if i will completley remove the end sections or stick it back together? With duck tape

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:lol: :lol:

10. fthaimike Forum Addict

Blinkin hell thats harder than the mk1's as they come down infront of the air vents.

11. vrbanana Forum Junkie

[​IMG]

goes through the air vents when you fit the MK4 dash in the MK2

12. MR D Forum Member

Yes it`s made quite a mess ! but should be well worth it,just for the amount of strength it will give chassis.Pain in the ar#e fitting it on my own though get the back all lined up then try and position the front and the back pops out again,deffo a 2 man job methinks !

13. MR D Forum Member

Well got the cage in place this arvo bit of a struggle but it`s there ready to mark up for the reinforcing plates.Then it`s gotta come out again while i weld them in.Gotta take the plastic out the rear arches which should be fun ! (NOT)

Not related but have seen a couple of smart golfs in houghton one with ronal turbo alloys on vv low both club gti members and only just down the road from me ;)

14. altern8 Forum Junkie

what do you get with the Full saftey device roll cage (130)

15. MR D Forum Member

You get rear cage with or without fixed diag you get two front arms and a bar that goes above the screen.If bought new i think you get a fitting kit which has just cost me 70 quid and have just spent another 90 on two door bars it`s all good ! just got lowere front str brace too.And then your going to need some padding some people use pipe lagging but i don`t fancy smacking my head on solid steel thats only got very thin protection,so will also be getting some fia approved padding from s devices 2 12 a length i think:)
    Edited by: MR D

16. MR D Forum Member

Well i am getting there slowly.Restricted by weather and light as doing this outside,Holes are all drilled for plates need to get a 25mm drill bit for the captive nuts to fit in. Great the chuck on my drill only takes upto 10mm bits so going to try and use a conical grinding bit to enlarge them there are only 3 each side so will hack them out with a grinder if i have too ,as there will be a big metal plate over so should be ok :lol: :lol:

17. MR D Forum Member

Super Smashing Great !! Well i am all ready to set about my pride and joy with the mig .Wioll post a couple of pics when it`s done so you can all laugh a my chicken pooe welding havn`t done any welding since 1991 when i restored a ford zepher . :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

18. Mike_H Forum Addict

Bolts / captive nuts? I thought you were welding it in?

No point welding the cage to bolted plates...weld those in too...

And if you want real stiffness think about multipointing it to the Pillars...probably need to take the windows out though...

When you come to weld it, tack it all in to check it's fitting properly, before you apply any serious metal to it...and check where the mounting feet are relative to fuel lines / pump / tank... Many's the man who's burnt his pride and joy to a crisp welding a cage in.

If you're thinking of doing any competition, read the RAC technical regs on fitting cages before you start. Size + Thickness of mounting plates is all specified.

Best to employ a lookout to keep an eye on things while you're welding.

19. MR D Forum Member

Nay worries not welding the cage in but welding the captive nut plates in to bolt the cage too the plates all came from safety devices so are fia approved.put the plates in place then tack welded as you said then ran a big thick seam weld round them quite impressed with my weldinig as it`s been about 16 yrs since i last did any no holes and only 2 small fires that went out when sprayed with anti spatter spray !!And did have an industrial co2 gas that i borrowed from work and didn`t use as was using flux cored wire that i could of used as fire extinguisher if it went wrong. only be doing track days so should be ok.Must say that it`s a very tight fit had to put my back on one side then push with my feet on the other bar to get it to line up with the bolt holes got a bit worried that it was wrong at one point but all ok PHEW !! [:$] And s devices said it`s a very tight fit so nothing to worry about.More fun tomorow small plate to weld behind drivers seat should i weld it inside easy or from underneath hard ??? going to be covered in ally grip plate so won`t see it ?? and

20. MR D Forum Member

Well it`s in. My god it was hard work getting the front legs and the bar that goes above the screen in almost imposible was on my own which didn`t help .Will take some pics when the light is better and post them here.Also welded up small hole in floor to say the metal was thin there is an understatement . [:D]