Roll cage

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by MR D, Oct 6, 2004.

1. altern8 Forum Junkie

pics pics pics :)

2. MR D Forum Member

Ok no worries see if it`s any lighter tomorow only using my phone to take pics so gotta wait .Sorry

3. thegeo

thegeo Forum Member

I had a saftey devices 6 point bolt in in my old GrpN mk2.

I just have to fit it in the replacement shell now.

I have a few comments though:

I have the cage with the removable rear diagonal bar. I found a set of split folding rear seats, which have enough flex in them to fold them up and down past the bars that locate on the rear wheelarches, but i removed the hinge screw from the back/squab on the 'little' side to make it that bit simpler. This means that you can take the bar out and have passengers, although it's hard for them to get in and out with the door bars and rear vertical legs in place on a 3 door. This is especailly true if they have to also avoid standing on the extinguisher system as well. The downside of cages and rear passengers is that there's a lot of steel tubing around for them to biff thier heads on, should it all go wrong. A bit of extra FIA spec padding may be usefull.

The other point is that the bar across the top of the screen makes it hard to move the sun visors. an alternative arrangement is required. either that or a coin toss to chose up or down mode.

I would also suggest that you bolt the cage in with the nuts inside the car. having the threads outside makes them vulnerable to dammage on 'whites' and a bugger to undo afterwards.

As far as I remeber the FIA spec is that each of the main mountings must have 30cm square of at least 3mm thick plate on the inside of the car and I think that they like it on the outside as well. The 2 diagaonals to the rear arches are not main mountings, but I do the 30cm thing there too (as well as seam welding the turrets inside and out). The FIA also specify that you should use M10 bolts with washers and lock nuts. The bolts must be ISO 8.8 spec i.e. have 8.8 stamped on the head, but then my local DIY store sells these so I guess it's not a big issue.

One of you wouldn't be able to tell me the homologation number of a new/recent Safety Devices 6pt bolt in for a Golf 2 with sunroof? I my cage is a bit vintage and i would like to check that the numbers are still good.
    Cheers

4. MR D Forum Member

Sorry havn`t had chance to get pics yet light has been non existent yep have put the threads inside have only used the brackets that came with the cage and the bolts have 8.8 on them with nyloc nuts.not going to bother with visors will get a screen tint thingy also need to stick my rear view mirror back on as i clouted it with a big hammer while trying to get the bar in i have a s/roof so that might be why, can only get 3 bolts in the top bar last one won`t have any of it [:^(] not going to bother with rear seats good excuse to not ferry people back and forth to the pub ! [:D] Also was painting my welds with hammerite the other day and the mounting plates that r outside put the lid back on tin put tin where back seat used to be along with my tools and nuts bolts leccy drill etc carried on working on other stuff turned round 5 mins later to discover i had knocked tin over and spilt it over everything took me ages to clean everything off with petrol and paper towel [:x] [:x] [:x]

5. barny Forum Member

:lol: keep up the good work makes for interesting reading ;) !!

6. fthaimike Forum Addict

Mk1 golf rally car roll cage:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

7. MR D Forum Member

I have got loads of dissaster stories ! will try and sort out some snaps tommorow so fingers crossed it`s sunny ish whats best to stick my mirror back on with ?

8. MR D Forum Member

well it`s all back together and interior is back in yey !! plenty more to keep me busy though before it`s back on the road.lower front strutt brace to fit got my crimbo pressie to install nice jvc kd-lh401 and a fusion 12" bass pack big noise!!

9. barny Forum Member

Pics man !!!!!

10. MR D Forum Member

Ok geez will go and take some snaps this arvo it`s not very bright outside so u will have to make do :p :p

11. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

[​IMG]

Would there be a perfromance advantage from this with regards to a tighter stronger 'shell rather than the with the rear cages that only go from the top of the b-pillar down to the strut tower?

Or was this just the regulations of the time to keep the back end from caving in to much in the event of a crash?

If you get what I mean [:$]

12. MR D Forum Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Please bear in mind i am only using my phone !not sure whats happened with image size used my phone for the last pics and they are much bigger? will get some more detailed pics of the mountings when it`s better weather ;)

13. MR D Forum Member

Here is a pic of the mounting just behind pass seat .[​IMG]

And a pic of one of my cats after a heavy session ![​IMG]

14. Armour

Armour Forum Junkie

Looks good Mr D, was that cage for a sunroof specific car or did you have to modify the sunroof mech to get it in?

Alan

15. MR D Forum Member

Not sure as bought 2nd hand ! you can use the s/roof just a bit of a squeeze. the bar that`s above the screen is v v tight fit i can only get one bolt in on pass side.Am hoping that once i have driven it then it will pop into place so am assuming that non s/roof cars have a bit more room up there ?

16. Polo Classic Forum Member

Received my wiechers cage last friday, made in chrommolly (CrMo4) and weight is 23 kg vs the 17 kg of the alloy cage. Is supposed to be easy to bolt in. Mine does not go throught the dash and is of the Version F

17. MR D Forum Member

Cool chrome ! good luck with the fitting !