Rx8, 20vt swap

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Suicide-racer, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Suicide-racer Forum Member

Not really much to report, took the front bumper off & stripped the radiator out. Was a bit of a nightmare, due to car spending some of it's life by the sea in the north of Scotland. Let's just say I have a FEW bolts to drill out. :(

Cheers john

2. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Bought an RX-8 project myself. Not a clue what I'm going to do with it yet..............
    Jon

3. Suicide-racer Forum Member

One of the best handling cars out of the box I've drove, with lots of toys. Just a bit underpowered for track.

How's yours running?

4. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Its not, it was bought as a project, and I hope to start working on it mid march
    Jon

5. Suicide-racer Forum Member

Jon what's your plan for it. You rebuilding the rotary?

Cheers john

6. Suicide-racer Forum Member

Well the plan for this week, while I'm waiting on parts. Is to get this cleaned up & ready to put in for the first of many times this weekend.
    [​IMG]

Cheers John

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2018
  7. Suicide-racer Forum Member

Got the engine decluttered a bit for fitting in. Also cleaned up a bit too.
    [​IMG]

Also cut down the front pulley & mounted the RX8 trigger wheel. This is needed to send a signal to the RX8 ECU & should make the Rev counter, power steering & ABS work. ;)
    Original pulley
    [​IMG]

Cut aircon belt drive off
    [​IMG]

Got a stroke of luck to centre it. When I put bolts through the original mounting holes, they are a tight fit into the centre of the VW pulley. There for centering the trigger wheel. :thumbup:
    [​IMG]

All done.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers John

Brookster and Sirguydo like this.
  8. Suicide-racer Forum Member

First part ordered turned up today, can't wait for the rest so I can get engine in.

[​IMG]

Cheers John

9. Suicide-racer Forum Member

Manifold turned up today, just a cheap eBay one at the moment. Will be upgraded, if conversion turns out to be worth it.
    [​IMG]

Looks a tighter fit than it is. Engine has to go back over to the right & dropped down a bit. Have the engine mounts back off to do a small mod. Will make a heat shield to protect brake & clutch master cylinders.
    [​IMG]

Just flywheel to come, then I can put proper engine in & start the hard work of piping & wiring.

Cheers John

10. Suicide-racer Forum Member

Love it when I get to play with big boy toys. Got the plasma cutter out to make stronger plates for the engine mounts. Using what's left of the steel from the adapter plate.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Should be strong enough this time. 10mm steel. Will update times & costs tonight.

Cheers John

Brookster likes this.
  11. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Still following this with interest.
    To answer suicide's question, I bought on a whim, not really sure why, but I have always admired the engineering and wanted to play with a rotary.
    Alll my mates think I've lost the plot. Truth is I never had it in the first place....
    Anyway, its an 04 with 80K and a reasonable amount of history. Standard condition. Lots of toys (satnav, heated leather, 6 changer, etc etc) and is in reasonable, not pristine, nick.
    So, joined the very enthusiastic and friendly owners club and have spent a few quid on it on service items and it now purrs..............and roars when you rev it.
    So my daily 61k miles 2 door 6N2 polo 1400 16v may be up for grabs soon.
    Not sure what else to do with it, except track it. Probably be a good option as they come with dinner plate brakes, double ali wishbone suspension, 225 tyres, 50:50 weight distribution. (better stop as I'm forgetting I'm a VW man)
    Jon

12. Suicide-racer Forum Member

I've still got another RX8 that I've not decided what to I want to do with it. Not had a play with a rotory engine since collage. So I'm tempted to rebuild it, but parts alone for that would add up to over 1000 & that's if the housings & rotors are ok. As you say they handle great, just lack any grunt in a straight line. That was its downfall on track for me. The main straight at knockhill is after a hairpin & uphill. Didn't mater what I done, just couldn't keep enough to speed through the that section to get up the straight.

Also joined the owners club, yip they are mostly a good bunch of guys. I started the Scottish meets for them, but a few people on the page fell out with me when I started the convention. Most of the guys up here think I shouldn't have done it, but can't wait to see the outcome.

Cheers John

13. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

Please keep the updates coming, I'm enjoying this.

There are around 20 RX8'S at Donington on Saturday, I've always found them a friendly group. Generally, quick in the corners but no grunt which is why I think this could be a great solution.

14. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Rotechnics are quoting a rebuilt engine exchange price of 1500 and that's drive in service. Sounds like a reasonable sum to me, so if I needed one, I would do the donkey work of getting it out/in and just courier it down to them. And it comes with a warranty.
    For comparison, even getting someone to rebuild an VAG 18T/KR/ABF will not be a cheap option, as labour is a big cost wherever you go. So maybe they are not the 'dead end' technology they are made out to be.
    Think I must be 'turning japanese' (sorry to the vapours...)
    Jon
    Yes, keep the story coming

15. Suicide-racer Forum Member

Yip, it's the owners clubs AGM this weekend at donington Was planing to have this done for it. Then didn't touch it for over 3 months.

Out on the road I love driving the rotory powered car. Really smooth, just a bit thirsty (coming from a guy that drives a cosworth, t5 & t6). That's a good price for a rebuild. As the seal kit alone is around 800, then I'd want to replace the bearings & a few other bits & bobs. If I was building it I would fit a sohan adapter too & do away with the oil metering pump putting used oil in the combustion chamber.

Cheers John

16. Suicide-racer Forum Member

Re did the engine mounts.

First go just didn't look strong enough
    [​IMG]

Looks a bit better now.
    [​IMG]

Also fitted the RX8 alternator to the Audi engine bracket. Using the RX8 starter & charging loom.
    [​IMG]

Cheers John

17. Suicide-racer Forum Member

Car looks like it's went backwards this weekend. But got engine bang centre in the bay & holes drilled in subframe for the engine mounts.

Before removing the mockup engine hopefully for the last time.
    [​IMG]

Bay looks very empty now. Also cut out the support for the battery, I'll make a new one as coolant pipe has to change direction & be mounted higher.
    [​IMG]

Oil coolers & pipework also removed, for the moment anyway.

Cheers John

Savagesam and Nige like this.
  18. Suicide-racer Forum Member

Modified flywheel turned up today, so I'll need to get it all cleaned up & fitted to proper engine.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope to have a go at fitting engine this weekend now. Possibly firing it soon. WISH ME LUCK

Cheers John

Sirguydo likes this.
  19. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Nice progress, good luck :)

20. Suicide-racer Forum Member

The proper engine has made it into the garage now. Flywheel & clutch fitted, almost ready for the big lift tomorrow.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Think I'll have to clean the breathers out first.
    [​IMG]

Cheers John