simplest way of converting a 1990 mk2 PB to VR6

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by G60KG, Jan 20, 2010.

1. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

maybe Ive got the company name wrong?? I have noly removed the engine and box so far. Still need to cut the rear mount down. So is the cross member swapped over for height issues? I thought it was because of the angle/position of the mount itself?

2. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

vibratechnics do make a vr6 conversion mount so you can keep the mk2 cross member. they also make them for the vr6 x member too...of it's got a stepped bottom and 2 bolt holes is for a mk2, if it's round with a flat botom and single bolt it's for a vr6

same x member on seat toledo's of the same era, cheaper to buy than corrado parts...

3. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

now hoping its the right mount, will end the x member hunt.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  4. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

well here is the mount, can anyone varify that it is the one for the mk2 vr6 conversion. It was bought from TSR in 05 and the invoice does say mount G2 VR6 part number EM/800M. Everything points to it being the right mount but if someone can confirm that would be great as I dont want to be stuck without the right mount or x member.

[​IMG]

5. nealey Forum Junkie

If you look in the entrepreneurs section duff sells mk2 vr6 conversion front mounts

6. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

I know, but I have managed to get hold of this one so just looking for confirmation before exploring other avenues

7. mk2vivs Forum Member

thats a mk3/corrado vibra front mount so to fit that you would need a corrado x member or seat but not sure which model

8. mk2vivs Forum Member

just to check it does just have the one bolt underneath?if so its deffo mk3/rado mount looks it to me.What x member do you have?

9. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

its only got one mounting bolt at the top and one at the bottom. Looks like TSR may have supplied the wrong part in the first place even though its the conversion part listed on the invoice. Before anyone suggests getting an exchange - this was originally bought in 2005.

10. mk2vivs Forum Member

its deffo a mk3/rado item then only suited to rado x member,where are you based?do you have a rado x member?

11. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

Im in Slough berkshire and do not have a Corrado x member, even then it has to be a vr6 x member doesnt it?

12. mk2vivs Forum Member

im not too sure mate havent seen any other rado x member bar the vr6 one that i used.Phatty might know.I did see a seat toledo on an m reg that was a 2.0 8v that had the exact same x member as a rado vr6.Shame your not any closer to leeds cos i think its still in the breakers yard

13. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

well I think Duff's solid conversion mount is my best bet as corrado vr6 x members are over priced and the others are hard to find

14. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

thought Id ask here rather than opening multiple threads. I know the corrado vr6 is a better fit in the mk2 but I dont want to spend the money as I already have the mk3 rad. Question is do i stick with the mk2 fan and cowling as the mk3 cowling is one big panel including headlight surrounds etc..

15. mk2vivs Forum Member

the mk2 one wont be good enough to keep that cool and would need faffing to fit the mk3 rad.you take the plastic surround off the mk3 rad and trim it right down to the point where there is just the fans and the mounting points to mount it to the rad left.youll need to modifiy the mk2 front panel and probably the tab that comes off the front of the xmember(the bottom of the mk2 front panel bolts to this)as the mk3 rad is a fair bit taller

16. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

I have decided to go with the corrado rad and fans, cant be bothered with the extra complications

17. mk2vivs Forum Member

good choice much easier and looks factory too!now fit hydro clutch set up;)

18. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

the hydro clutch still seem sto complicated for me and time consuming as I would need to find someone who can weld and know what to weld etc..

19. mk2vivs Forum Member

its nothing major really but its up to you

20. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

another question, will the VR6 arb fit the mk2 wishbones as I have decided not to go widetrack