Stealth Results - Graphs up!

Discussion in '16-valve' started by harryc, Dec 9, 2009.

1. harryc Forum Member

Went to stealth yesterday to get alignment and a rolling road session. Setup is;

Reconditioned 9a
    Twin KR exhaust cams
    S/S manifold back exhaust including 4 branch
    Lightened flywheel
    50mm inlet manifold
    K and N panel filter with drilled air box

Initial run;
    139.7bhp @ 7533 and 111.5ft/lbs @ 5403.
    After a little tinkering with the timing and fuelling (about 5 mins!) second run;
    170.1bhp @ 7633 and 127.3 @ 5422

The torque curve resembled a mountain range pre-tune with big drops at 4k and 7k but this got smoothed out with the tune. Impressed with the power but would have liked a little more torque. Car feels transformed both in handling and a massive improvement in the power delivery, highly recommended!
    I realise the car must have been running pretty badly before but i was really surprised in the 30bhp gain just by correcting the fuelling and timing!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  2. KentGTiKR Forum Member

May i know, what engine management do you use ? Or is it a KJet one ? :)

3. Aphex Forum Junkie

Good stuff, I remember when I took my mk2 there, similar spec to yours with a similar end result. I was an extremely happy chappy

4. mookie Forum Member

How much did it end up costing? Me and a mate are both doing 2L 16v conversions (one ABF one 9a) and are planning a trip there next year to get them setup properly.

5. harryc Forum Member

Standard K Jet, I ended up spending more than i planned as the car was too low and the coilovers were seized but rolling road tuning is 65 + vat per hour and is usually done in an hour.
    Can't recommend this enough the car feels completely different to drive and im more than happy with the figures! Am i right in thinking the torque is a little low though?

6. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Ultimately if you feel the car is quicker that is what matters.

Shows the differences in dynos.

DD units measure poorly calibrated ABF motors at around 127-130lbft, with healthy units at 145lbft of torque. RPM accuracy is key to have more represenative bhp measurement.
    Note though that 16v engines that achieve 127lbft on the DD dyno still feel very quick to drive.
    Your bhp peak RPM is quite high as well. Have you had mods done to the ignition module?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  7. altern8 Forum Junkie

what'd DD units?

8. harryc Forum Member

The car feels much quicker and is much more fun to drive. Vince did ask whether the ecu had been played with as it rev'd over standard, its nothing i've done will have a look through the book of receipts to see if i can spot anything.
    Is it likely its just had the limit raised or something else as well?

9. paultownsend Forum Member

DD is Dyno Dynamics rolling road

10. arnau Forum Member

8-| if there only was a garage like this in barcelona... :(

11. MJR89 Forum Member

that seems to be very good results from them setting the car up yesterday, bet you are over the moon with it. how long did it take vince to set it up. when i last had mine on the rolling my max revs were 7412rpm so it isnt much behind yours and it is still running the standard ignition module etc. am i right in saying that the standard limiter is at 7200rpm?

cheers Mark

12. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Generally 7200rpm is max for KR ignition 'ecu'

13. GVK

harryc - best I got with similar spec to yours but with shed head was 183hp 145ish lb/ft, few years ago now though!

Interested to get my mk2 VR6 on a DD rolling road, be lucky to see 195-200hp I reckon!
    215 @ Stealth.

The closest one to here is near Cheltenham.

http://www.ajecracing.co.uk/racing/road.php

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  14. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

7600rpm does seem uber uber high

15. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Maybe its time to plan a London day trip, and that fast boat anchor on the "London CGTi hall of fame board". You know I would make sure it measuring right:lol: :lol: .

16. Mike_H Forum Addict

I was just thinking it would be interesting to see how much the power increased with a ported head. I think Stealth have had a new rolling road since yours was done - not sure what type it is. It's allegedly a bit less optimistic than it used to be.

@harryc, I'd have said the torque fig seems a bit low. My old 9A on KR cams (not twin exhaust) made about 135 lbft at Stealth. Have you got the printouts to put up? The shape of the curve is more interesting than the peak number.

I'm not really surprised at the gain between the runs. Kjet cars seem to be very sensitive to ignition advance, and they tend to run on the lean side as standard.

17. Hilux Forum Member

I used to have a 944 Turbo and we in the Porsche Club always used a Dyno Dynamics RR year on year and back to back.

They are very accurate and allow for rolling resistance and temp and humidity when calculating bhp.

Problem is they tend to read low (accurately) where other `max power` set ups dont mind if theirs read high (if you know what I mean) and can be up to 10% out but strangely enough its always out 10% higher ;)

18. GVK

19. harryc Forum Member

Photos of graphs added! Really happy with the improvements in the torque curve.

20. harryc Forum Member

Quick question; Didn't get a chance to ask but when the fuel pressure was checked and altered was this the WUR mod being carried out? Wasn't sure if there is a difference between setting the correct pressure and WUR mod? Apologies for my ignorance, didn't get on the rollers til quite late and didn't get to ask all my questions!