Stealth Results - Graphs up!

Discussion in '16-valve' started by harryc, Dec 9, 2009.

1. chrismc Forum Junkie

The improvement in the way the car drives is the main bit so as long as you are happy then dont be alarmed;)

On a stock 1800 the peak power is around ~6300rpm with limiter at ~7200rpm. By swapping the inlet cam for an exhaust cam it isnt going to alter the stock power band a great deal (as the lift/duration of the 2 cams are pretty "similar") unless the cam timing has been played with or perhaps set a tooth out (retarded 1 tooth) to allow for the increased rev limit...

This would make the car very peaky with no great urgency until well up the rev range.

I speak from experience having owned a 2L 16v Jetta with the exhaust cam mod & also an ITB'd 2L 16v Golf, both previously fettled by Vince:)

As an aside...I take it your block has ARP fasteners or similar, as it wont thank you for being revved to nearly 8k regularly. I used to suffer with flywheel, clutch & PAS bracketry problems when revving to those levels in my ITB'd Golf[:s]

2. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

:lol:
    [​IMG]

3. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

[saved][:D]

4. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

As above!

Cool pic, hehehe

5. harryc Forum Member

What would people suggest for extracting a bit more torque across the rev range?

6. vegabass Forum Member

Increase the capacity.

7. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Fit a VR6 :lol:

9A 272 cams, shed head JE pistons on K-Jet vs VR6 2.8 with 268cams

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  8. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Diesel 95.5mm crank.

Mike_H had a bottom end, but not sure if he still has it.

9. harryc Forum Member

@ GVK thats some tasty torque from the vr! Would be happy with the numbers from the valver plot tbh!

@ Chris Eyre, Have only put 1000 miles on the new 2l so looking for bolt ons at this point, really happy with the way it drives and the peaky power band just thinking it may not be fullfilling its potential!

10. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I've not read everything on the car, but the KR cams are in there, the 50mm inlet mani. Double check the WUR mod is done also.

Could be worth a separate thread, asking for more ideas?

Enjoy the motor in the meanwhile :thumbup:

11. chrismc Forum Junkie

Not sure if Vince checked the cam timing? but the numbers could certainly point at it being set to something non-standard...

It's very hard to compare if Stealth have got a new RR but sub 130lbs/ft peak torque from a 2L sounds lowish compared to the numbers you will see in old 2L 16v threads.;)

If the cam timing IS out then resetting it will give more midrange torque and most likely shift the powerband down the range

Something definitely doesn't add up when your power is still climbing at the point your average valver has hit it's rev limiter!

12. Mike_H Forum Addict

Long gone.

I think you might have a bit more potential in the engine you've got - you should find someone to double check the cam timing with DTI gauges. where did the modified exhaust cam come from? Reputable source?

13. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

they had a retarder rewound earlier this year and when refitting it found not all of the coils on the old one had been wired up.
    My ibiza kindly burnt off its new paint off the retarder mid year working the dyno to the max (pegged it big time) - literally smoking like a trooper (dyno not car)
    no idea what it made but it was >dynos max kw @ wheels with some discrpency between the digital readout which feeds the aquisition dynoplot software and the dials. digital stopped at a max lower than the dials did.

14. harryc Forum Member

I hope so! [:s]

I got 2 sets of cams along with the ones in the engine when i bought the 9a, i measured all the lobes and identified all of them. One was an exhaust cam with the key way cut etc for use as an inlet. Think i may have an abf inlet at home as well, will have to double check. Adjustable cam pulley and another rr session worth a shout?

15. chrismc Forum Junkie

If the cams are standard VW items then Id just whip the cam cover off & check all your timing marks line up with #1 @ TDC on compression...

Should be no need for a Vernier Pulley TBH;)

16. Mike_H Forum Addict

Thing is, if you don't know who cut the keyway in the Exh cam, can you be sure it was done right? A couple of degrees out could make a big difference.

I wouldn't be bothering with adjustable pulleys on VW cams, tbh. Better spending the money elsewhere.

Maybe you should start by ringing Stealth up, and checking what they did. Also ask what Vince thinks, as he's seen a fair few of these engines, and should know what sort of power they're making on his dyno, these days, as opposed to 4/5 years ago when my old car was there.

You'd need inter-cam verniers to get the inlet timing right, if it's been cut slightly out.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  17. davidwort Forum Member

just to compare, I had my 6A+KR head (and standard KR cams) engine on Stealths rollers the other week, last time was about 2005. Nothing has been changed on the car, standard ex manifold internally polished. The injectors are now 20 years and 165K old lol!

in 2005 after setup on rollers:
    peak 175bhp (139 ATW)
    150 lb/ft

couple of weeks back:
    peak 167bhp (135 ATW)
    147lb/ft

7,200 red line

there's very little in it, but from all the cars running on there it seems the 'drivetrain losses' figures are a little lower now on stealth's setup.
    BTW, old and new plots almost perfectly overlay, just with a few % lower figures

18. harryc Forum Member

Thanks for that it's good to a have a similar setup to compare against. Need to get to the bottom of my low torque figure as I'm down 20ft/lbs on your results.. Do you have pics of the curves I could have a look at?