Steve jobs r.i.p

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Wez, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Admin Guest

This thread makes me laugh, the lovers are often blinkered and the haters just cannot see the wood for trees.

I'm a lover and a hater of apple products at the same time, I love the products aesthetics, design, function etc, they work very well and are very silky smooth in operation and have made good changes to the way I live and go about my days. The iPad has made surfing the net and checking emails a breeze. But I do still have to use my desktop to upload pics to sites etc and sometimes I have difficulty in writing responses on here with the iPad, much easier and faster to use a desktop.

So I love the products and using them, but I hate a huge amount of them too. The iPad for example (the latest flaw ivp have found) missed out on not having a USB or sd card slots, but then apple sell them as add on's - hate. I have just bought these so I can upload my camera pictures and save them whilst I'm on holiday, a back up which would be very handy. But apple decided that the iPad will shrink the images and only save them at a small resolution which means I loose lots of detail and would not be able to crop them on return home. So all in I have just spent more money and gained nothing! I'm sure another brand of tablet would allow me to do what I want and work just as well as the apple iPadin all other respects. So what makes the iPad the best? In my opinion nothing I think it works well but has many more flaws or missed opportunities that other manufactures don't. So this, plus the lack of flash and many other little niggles make me hate the IPad.

I also hate the way apply advertise and the way the fans bang on about this or that, having owned and used many of their products I struggle to see how they better the competition. They often cost more and have flaws.

Im not going to start about sustainability issues and built in obsolescence as someone else has made goods points earlier in the thread. The iPhone 4 winds me up, I have seen so many cracked screens it's unbelievable and unacceptable, a flaw in the design. But it seems the lovers are just not bothered and it's an excuse to buy the newest product.

So the apple products I have I love using but find they have missed out here or there, or find apple will charge me for a new feature. I get on much better with an android phone over the iPhones (and cannot understand the lovers and their,' it's just better' responses - what a joke!). the android phone is still smooth in operation and works very well (but apple does have slightly better interface sometimes) it also has flash, can tether, has free satnav app ( way before apple), bigger screen and does all jobs of a phone just as well.

For me and the way I use apple products I find they cost more and are not as good as other manufactures in their functions or lack off.

As I upgrade phones, mp3 players etc i find I'm steering away from apple products and when the time comes the iPad will be replaced with another manufacturer.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2011
  2. N/B

N/B Forum Member

Agreed, I had hoped the 4S would have a CF or Aluminium rear panel.
    Would have been a lot more robust, imo.

[​IMG]

Pity Snow Peak only made 300 of these...

[​IMG]

3. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Not TomTom, the GPS capabilities of the 3Gs. It would sometimes lag a few seconds, and was slow to pick up another satellite when coming out a tunnel.

This.

4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

iCanwait 2 secs v 1.0 :thumbup: :lol:

5. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

Why in living **** should I have pre ordered other than to grantee myself be ahead of the class with the new shiny toy?

This is the one thing that winds me up with apple fan boys. You lot would have pre ordered it even if it turned out to be a massive load of pap. Literally, had apple re-released the Nokia 6110 in a new case and called it the Iphone 4s, people would have preordered, queued and paid good money for it before realizing it was ****.

I, however think I am a fairly balanced consumer and thought that I would make a considered purchase on what was on the market before signing myself up on an 18 month contract and/or spending good knows how many hundred pounds on something there is next to no reviews about. Maybe I'm tight and southern in that way, but I never spend more that 50 without at least some consideration as to whether it will be worth the money.

I certainly wouldn't have though "ZOMG!!11! New Iphone out, must spend 600+ even though I know nothing about it"

As to having enough ready for release day - do me a favor. Apple are a massive, MASSIVE company. One that spends god knows how much on market research - they intimately know there market. They will know their market better than you know your wife. They will have the experience from previous Iphone launch days, other apple launch days (ipad etc) as well as having exact data on who will upgrade because its a new product, who is coming towards the end of their current Iphone 4/3GS contracts (like me) etc etc etc. As well as having economy experts advising them on the state of the local economy in each country of launch to be able to gear up their manufacturing and distribution networks to have enough in the right places. And having enough to commit to the launch in the rest of the world weeks later.

And if they don't know that information, Senior execs would be fired.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not necessarily Apple bashing here - any large company bringing a new updated model to the market will know all this information and I am sure many will hold back on stock to creat a buzz. Playstations and Xboxes spring to mind. But there lack of product on the market smacks of artifically inflating demand (and therefor Price) up. However, Apple are the biggest that market there products not only as damned good, but also as an aspirational product - and that is why the fan boys sit outside the O2 shop at 3am on release day.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  6. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Mutually exclusive. Tight and Northern, yes - and they're a pain the backside! Get a round in, you short arms and long pockets brigade!

As for the rest of your post, I concur entirely. In simple terms, I will not play the game of being used as a pawn in Apple's cynical marketing games. As you say, it's a market they understand and manipulate so well - so I flatly refuse to be any part of it.

I see them for what they are - I'm oot, and staying oot :thumbup:

7. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

To most people that's reason enough

8. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

iDonthinkso :p :lol:

9. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

10. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

Finally had my Iphone 4s arrive this afternoon. Not bad - only a month after its release. And a cynic would say that was because at the start of that lucrative christmas market it would make sense to have more available.

I am quite impressed however. Siri even understood and printed out my poor mackam impression of asking wee's Keys are these keys? Even if he couldn't tell me whos keys they were.