Stuff needed for ABF into MK2?

Discussion in '16-valve' started by thebluebus, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

We need to speak on MSN soon mate! ;)

The idea was to give me a cheaper mapable system than TB's.. but then allow me to fit TB's at a later date on the same mangment. So the re-mapping will not cost too much and less to install each time.

2. prof Forum Addict

guess so, have you had a quote on the mapping time? sure there have been some 16vers mapped so Vince should have a starting map at least if that is who is going to map it

3. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

No quotes on mapping yet... gonna speak to a good local RR'er see what he recomends.

Vince isn't doing mapping on stand alones anymore is he?

4. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Well i'm lost now :lol:

5. NormanCoal Forum Member

Thats strange, mine had more clearance than an ABF on K-Jet

Any questions on the ABF bit I should be able to help

6. damogti Forum Junkie

Could be doing an ABF swap on my 8v soon so thought i would reserect this thread, some very good info he but has anyone got anything else they want to add??

Couple of questions.........

1. How much am i looking at paying for a Pre-96 ECU and where is the best place to buy???

2. Clearence issues..... is there any way of getting an ABF in to a MK2 without having problems with dents in the bonnet..... Im gonna be keeping the standard injection system so no chance at swapping to K-jet......

3. What are the best engine mounts to use??? Uprated or are the standard ones ok??? Mk2 8v ones or MK3 16v ones???

4. Any mods to the Mk2 8v Subframe needed when fitting the ABF to it???

5. What work is involved in fitting the MK3 cable change box to my Mk2 and will i need any extra bits over and above what is fitted to the donor car??

6. Depending on the answer to Q5, Will my MK2 8v box fit ok on the ABF with the Mk2 8v flywheel and clutch?? Will it last once fitted???

Think i'll leave it there for the time being!! Probably gonna have more q's as i start work on this!!

Thanx ;)

7. 1990

1. I'm not sure the early ECU works with the later loom [:s] I would become instantly erect if this worked!!

2. Chop a bit of the bonnet strengthening this off if it catches.

3. A mix of mk2 ones I think, ask Andy947.

4. No, just the rear left mount needs to be swapped.

5. You'll have to swap the gear selector unit thingymybob, then you'll have to do something (i dont know what) with the hyrdraulic clutch (i think passat pedal box)

6. I reckon yes if you uprate the clutch.

8. damogti Forum Junkie

1. Any idea who would know the answer??

2. Anything that can be done without butchering the bonnet??

3. Will pm him at some point.

4. Swapped with what?? 8v to ABF or vice versa??

5. I heard that it was Seat Toledo parts that were needed along with a Passat pedal box..... really need confirmation that this is correct or not.....

6. I've got a new clutch fitted to my 8v box (Sach's 8v Power Clutch). Is that uprated enough or would something beefier be required??

Thanks Ian :)
    Edited by: damogti

9. 1990

1. 800gs, chrisp??????

2. Close it and hope for the best????

4. the mk2 one needs to be bolted onto the mk3 block

5. ???????

6. ?????????

7. What about fitting the whole lot and running 5 stud?

10. damogti Forum Junkie

1. will try them....

2. rather not just in case i end up needing a new bonnet [8(]

4. ok cool

7. Because i have all new 280mm brakes, ball joints etc.... basically everything is new..... also have a set of Oz Turbo's that are 4x100 PCD and i may have some new winter/daily rims which are also 4x100 PCD....... Have thought of going 5 stud before because i already have all the parts needed for 5 stud sitting about but decided against it for reasons above....... [:s]

11. 1990

7. Then i'd like to make you an offer on the mk3 subframe, rack, and everything else that comes off with it [:D]

12. damogti Forum Junkie

You got a pm.... ;)

13. NormanCoal Forum Member

First off why do you want to change to the early type?
    Yes its possible, the late ones have a slightly different plug, but there is a way around this, bit hard to explain mind. Mine late loom had to run with the early ECU for a while as I needed a replacement immobilisor ring from VW
    I have a complete loom with ECU, immobilisor unit and key if you are stuck.

Your car is currently a PB engine 8v on digifant right? So you will be using the MK3 ABF loom, and injection system
    If this is the case, there isnt any need for any dents in the bonnet frame as there isnt any interference. The tb on the ABF manifold is turned 90 towards the bulkhead so it wont foul anywhere

Whatever you have ie new standard, or uprated. There isnt any particular need to fit the MK3 Subframe, unless you really do want the engine that touch lower, and it will be only a touch

No, its just the same in terms of the block, still a 4cyl at the end of the day

Yes, passat/corrado pedal box, and the clutch master cylinder, or the seat quadrant to change the cable into hydraulic

Yes, this is how I ran mine. Just buy a decent new clutch, preferably uprated

14. damogti Forum Junkie

Excellent!! Thanks Chris :p

I not certain but i dont think the car has keys.... not the end of the world i suppose as i can get an ignition key cut and have it programmed to suit.... i assume that i will need to fit the Mk3 ignition lock and column or can i fit the reader thing on the Mk3 column to my Mk2 column???

I currently have a brand new MK2 GTD front mount and G60 Gearbox mount which i was going to fit to my 8v, would these be ok to use on the ABF?? Will they fit etc???

Definately no clerance issues is good to hear!!! that did worry me!!!

Would i need to buy another clutch if using my Mk2 020 Gearbox??? Mine has only done 2.5k........ its a Sach power item......

thanks mate [:D]

15. 1990

The ring fits the mk2 barrel superbly [:D]

16. 1990

I need to do this on mine. My chipped key is f**ked [8(]

If you ever get chance to type how you do it i'd love to see it.

(That blue bonnet flew up off the rallye shell and bent [8(])

17. NormanCoal Forum Member

Huh? Explain

18. NormanCoal Forum Member

If you want to do it properly then all you need is the MK3 key with the chip, the reader and the ignition barrel. Change the ignition barrel from the MK2 one to the MK3, fit the reader, BOB's your uncle, but then you will need to change the lockset to match

Easiest way to do it, is hide the MK3 reader along with the key. This also means you have another immobilisor unit

Yes that should be fine

Again, should be fine.....I only had a prob with mine as it was more worn than that, and I put a new cable in which wasnt adjusted correctly. Giving it some stick meant that it wore premeturely [:^(]

19. 1990

The shell phatty picked up from DD, that bonnet you put on it slipped its straps while they were driving back up [8(]

20. damogti Forum Junkie

So is it just a case of taping the transponder key under the dash so it turns the immobiliser off each time i start the car??