The Old Timers Thread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Savagesam, Aug 25, 2021.

1. dragonfly

dragonfly Paid Member Paid Member

Talking about phones - I remember having a phone card (basically a pre-paid card to use on a public phone if ypu had no change). Paying by credit card and using that machine to imprint the details which you also signed and got a carbon copy. Popping to Blockbuster to hire the latest film on VHS (later to be DVD) and getting in trouble for not rewinding the tape upon return. Going to the supermarket and not worrying if you have a £1 for the trolley.

dodgy likes this.
  2. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

So an update on my GTI after being back in the Emerald Isle...........................it's the same.

The distributor was completely removed and a brand new bosch unit put in it's place.......SFA so that rules that out (incl. hall sender).

I went back to basics using information and guides from here:

Battery and voltage is good (brand new alternator was installed previously)
    All the HT system was already replaced but it was re-checked again - no issues found there.
    Fuel filter was replaced again just in case but no difference found on changing it the second time.
    Connections to ECU and ignition module checked and re-checked, copious amounts of contact cleaner used - nothing
    Engine bay earths were checked again - all appear good and solid and no evidence of corrosion.
    Blue temp sensor resistance checked (it is new and original) no issue found there.
    Internal and external fuel pumps connections/condition checked - no obvious issues found
    Previously replaced spark plugs removed and checked - all look good and no sooting/fouling seen
    Car does not smell 'fuelly' when running and there are no excessive levels of smoke.
    ISV confirmed as running and was previously cleaned and a spare one also tried - definitely not that.
    Timing is all good

There are two more things to try one of which I only thought of when I got back and that is cleaning the throttle bodies with throttle cleaner and the other is the AFM which I deliberately stayed away from as it's cover was definitely removed before and I was utterly P.O. with the car and just couldn't be arsed.

I will take more time off in 2023 and spend longer with the car as between that and getting everything else taken care of while you're over it's just not enough time - I also hit the Killarney Historics rally on the Saturday and that was a long but enjoyable day.

Next time it's the AFM and other jobs I need to attend to:
    Replace starter with a brand new Bosch unit
    Install digifiz USB charger near the radio
    Soundproof the boot due to the godawful s/steel exhaust
    Headlining immediately by the windscreen is starting to seperate so that will need tidying and gluing

Last edited: Dec 12, 2022
    dodgy likes this.
  3. costel1969

In keeping with this particular thread and the season that’s in it- I wish ‘Bah! Humbug!’ to you all.

The weather is currently what I can only describe as lawless in Calgary - it is -40C with windchill - if I was a brass monkey in Alberta I’d be pretty nervous right now…

dragonfly likes this.
  4. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Screenshot_20230104-215728_Facebook.jpg

KeithMac likes this.
  5. dodgy

Yesterday I heard that it was 33 years ago the first episode of One foot in the grave was broadcast, at first I didn't believe it (sorry, had to be done), but then it dawned on me that everyone else in the workshop wasn't even born when that aired.

6. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Cake and chips???

7. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Fish cakes dear boy

8. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Well happy new year and hope you all had a good Christmas chaps

valvemiester and GVK like this.
  9. dodgy

On that note, I'm still not quite 100% on Yorkshire fishcakes, two slices of potato with a slice of fish between, battered and deep fried.
    Screenshot_20230106-165941_Chrome.jpg

Mind you, a nice bit of Victoria sponge with some skin on fries might be alright, mmm

Last edited: Jan 6, 2023
  10. costel1969

What is a Victoria sponge Dave?

11. dodgy

Screenshot_20230107-072937_Chrome.jpg

I mean obviously I wouldn't have vinegar on the chips, that would just be weird.

costel1969 likes this.
  12. Dougie Paid Member Paid Member

Someone who may unexpectedly be a little old-fashioned..

I think it's alan sugar I hear in a radio trailer which begins "This is not a game, it's the opportunity of a lifetime!" My reaction was 'ahh, piss off', but the few times I've heard the whole thing, it ends "one of you will be home (from Antigua) before your postcards"

Given the postal situation, everyone may be back before that, but a) I thought he works contestants too hard to have time to write home, and b) what's a modern go-getting feller like that referring to snail-mail for?

dodgy likes this.
  13. costel1969

54 years old today - Sweet Divine God, this getting old shite just has to stop, it's not funny anymore.

[​IMG]

dodgy likes this.
  14. dodgy

Not that far behind you @costel1969, hope day has been good old man :)

costel1969 likes this.
  15. costel1969

Cheers Brother (deliberately ignoring the 'old man' jibe...)

dodgy likes this.
  16. GVK

I was 51 on Sunday - just had a call from Drs. saying my recent blood tests are showing type 2 diabetes. Great! :(

17. costel1969

Sorry to hear that GVK but sometimes the readings can be out and it can be a false alarm - you might have to do a fasting test and they will check levels again under those conditions and get a better baseline reading of glucose levels.

18. GVK

Thanks, I have an appiontment next week for guidance.

19. Dougie Paid Member Paid Member

For each of the last two days, I've ended up behind (and not too close behind) a small white car with only the brake lamp in the window working. My recognition skills with modern cars may only consist of 'ugly thing, very ugly thing, hideous thing, bl**dy tank, and ulfor (ugliest little ****er on the road)', but I could tell it wasn't the same one. Not being on anti-social media, could this be some trend among the younger set?

When the 3rd brake lamp began appearing, filtered over from the u.s., I used to remark 'only toms have red lights in their windows', but maybe now I'd concede it may be worthwhile.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2023
  20. costel1969

So I went for haemorrhoid (pile) banding #6 yesterday, the last 5 were OK (well as OK as someone shoving fingers and implements up your chutney can be...)
    Not sure what's the story with this one but man, discomfort levels are are pretty high at the moment. Literally feel like if I crack one off a sizable portion of my ring is going to make a break for the border.