Too much power? No traction!

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Cooper_Gti, Dec 16, 2008.

1. 85mk2golf1.3 Forum Member

anything to do with final drive gear in the diff???70mph at 4200rpm in 5th gear meaning it doesnt do as high a top speed as it should but it gets to a good speed very quick??just a thought

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Ah well thats a different story... You must have a really low diff , which would make for really fast acceleration in the gears.

3. paul_c Forum Member

Probably a combination of 1.6 box with no preload on the diff, and wet roads (its not been dry roads for about a month now........)

4. Cooper_Gti Forum Member

Like i say, flat out in second is about 40mph, then third is about 60 or so.

It sounds almost like a motorbike, the way it flies through the gears!

So i take it that this is not the standard gearbox??

I had a little play earlier with a stop watch and the sat nav speedo. Seeing how low i could get the 0 to 60 time. Obviously there is no degree of accuracy and the roads were a bit damp so it was spinning.

But i managed to get it down to about the 7 second mark (give or take a bit). Now that does seem incredibly quick for a little 8v!

Flat out will just about hit 100mph, but its absolutely screaming so i try and keep it around 60mph on the motorway if i can.

5. paul_c Forum Member

Totally meaningless mate. Can't work out what's going on from your description. If you yourself don't know if its a standard box or not, etc.

6. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

sounds like a short ratio box but without the code, who knows

7. Phil. Forum Junkie

Park the n/s up on a high kerb (if you can't be arsed jacking the car up).
    Take a wire brush to the bottom of the gearbox and wipe with a rag then read the code. Something's not right going by those in gear limits you said.

8. TurbTech Forum Junkie

Course it doesn't, not with all that weight over the front wheels! ;)

9. Cooper_Gti Forum Member

I must say, ive never owned a vag before, so i dont really know too much about them.

I havent got a clue what gearbox it is, whether it is standard or whether it has been played with. Im not even that sure about what engine its got in it to be honest! Something about a 2E bottom end and a 2.0l head.

I'll have a look for the g'box code tomorrow, because im fitting a new "zorst" on it, so it will be jacked up.

Also, does anyone have any idea what the hell a "blitzchip is" and where is the rev limiter (if any) on these "digifant?" engines?

10. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

blitzchip is just a replacement chip for the ECU, i think in testing these chips they just overfueled up to about 5k then ran abit lean[:s] The rev limiter will be 6800rpm I think.
    Its likely that you have the 2E 2.0litre bottom end from a mk3 golf 8v gti, and the standard PB head from the original 8v, which you said has been modified.
    I dont know what gearbox you have but its defiantly not the standard one with the speeds you've typed, enlese your heavily short shifting....all will be revealed with a check of the gearbox code.

11. Cooper_Gti Forum Member

Thanks for that bud! Thats cleared up a few little things!

The guy said the head was a 2E bottom end with a 2 litre 8v head! But what i couldnt understand was why wouldnt you put the whole 2.0l engine in and what could the head be off?[:s]

Well i can assure you im definitely not short shifting. In each gear im holding it out to about 6000 rpm, as i believe that is roughly where peak power is? Please correct me if im wrong!

Is it possible to put a pair of twin 40/45 carbs on this engine?

Are the inlet manifolds easily obtainable, has it been done before, what were the results etc etc...?

I'll report back tomorrow with the gearbox code!:thumbup:

12. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

Holding it to 6k is plenty, I didnt think you would be short shifting, these efi engines make peak power a little lower down usually but as you have a higher lift cam im not sure. You can put carbs on but its a squeeze and you have to have a heat shield above the exhast mani as its pretty close. You can get a xflow head off an 8v mk4 golf/beetle with the intake at the front but these are desirable and not always cheap and as you have a flowed head already its a step in the wrong direction.
    He may have used the whole mk3 8v engine but using the 1.8 PB head is more likely. I recon you have either a mk2 16v box or something off a smaller engine, we will see tomorrow.

13. keith_lemon

keith_lemon Forum Member

on the edge.... also north wales, close to rhyl
    gererally we use a 1.8 8v head on a 2 litre block because the 2 litre head does not flow as well - and it makes the conversion as simple as just swapping the cylinder block and internals.

carbs are silly on a 8v as they draw air in from the rear of the engine - but a lot do it - so yes it can be done

14. Cooper_Gti Forum Member

Got ya! Well thanks for the insight into the world of VW!

Im intrigued to see what gearbox i have now!!

With regards to carbs, surely some kind of air box can be made, with a couple of direct cold air feeds into the box?

I suppose a lot do it for the noise they make, which is perfectly understandable.

I suppose if you want insane power its best to go with a G60 or fettle with the 16v rather than the 8v, although it does seem very torquey!

15. Mike_H Forum Addict

Sounds like your box has been rebuilt with a lower diff, or had a lower ratio box fitted.

Worn suspension bushes could also affect traction a bit, if the alignment and castor is out as a result. Too much negative camber could also make a difference.

Post a pic of the engine, especially around the inlet manifold and injectors, and we'll tell you what sort of head it is. The Mk2 and Mk3 use different manifolds.

Big carbs on an 8v isn't a perfect solution for a road car, but can work well for competition. Being over the exhaust manifold, the carbs tend to cook in traffic, and there's not a lot of room for air filters and such.... then there's the MPG to think about.

16. JayRyder

JayRyder Forum Member

ive just put a 2.0 8v on my 1.6 box and it eats the gears. Spins 1st and 2nd toooo easy and the engines standard. New box and clutch after xmas!

17. paultownsend Forum Member

sub 7 second 0-60 with 3 gear changes! you must have skills!

18. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

im sure mr hilclimber's 8v isnt silly

19. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

What a predictable answer :clap:

20. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

It's not a mk2 16v box. That'll do 120 @ 6k.

It's got to have a really low 4.x diff in it to be doing 100 flat out, then there's the speedo drive to think about, is the speedo massively under reading?