Tornado motorsport cage - one used one?

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by M7R, May 14, 2010.

1. Tim8v

Tim8v Forum Member

That is why i asked the question, albeit wrongly lol. I was looking at one for my Golf and it seems a great option, especially as its being used in a few cars in the current championship series.

2. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Do you know if they come with any paperwork? Wouldnt the MSA or FIA want to see somthing on the cage before they let it out on the track?

The auction description is a bit short, Ive no idea between the MSA & MSA+ cages they offer apart from price. E-mailed them yesterday but nothing yet:thumbup:

3. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

That would appear to exceed min requirements laid down by the MSA. If so, subject to installation being up to scratch, the car would then be ok for UK racing I believe up to national level.

There is a cage thread stickied in Track Tech & prep.

4. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

MSA+ is X door bars not single bars and extra bars in the rear diagional, B pillar brace, and harnesses bars too.

I plan on having a MSA cage but with the B pillar brace and harneses bars, this should be more that enough safety for trackdays etc with out adding masses of extra weight (ie X doors bar look nice but cost an extra 50 a side and must be double te weight....)

5. mat-mk3

Yeah, I just want a single door bar, X on the rears instead of the hoop and also a harness bar.
    When you say harness bar you mean what you mount the harness on right?[:$]

6. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

yep you have a X in the rear going to the wheel arches and between the X and the hoop they add 2 straights, for the harnesses to be attached too,

I am hoping I can still get mine fitted when I get back from hoz, as its the one thing missing from the car

7. mat-mk3

Bought my cage today. A tornado job from Dave.
    He's going to weld up the mounts for me and supply a bit of metal to weld up the rest of the base plates.
    One thing about the harness bars, won't you need a really long harness from the rear cross to the seats?

8. danster Forum Addict

Apparently Tornado have never done a cage for a mk1 golf yet, so he cannot supply me a rear hoop till he has the dimensions.[:^(]
    Sounds like someone needs to put a mk1 in there for a cage and they could get a deal as it would then open up his range a little.:thumbup:

9. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

My harnesses are already going to the rear seat base mounts, and then double back 1/2 way so they are more than long enough..any FIA ones should be good enough for the job.

10. mat-mk3

So would my cage pass scrutineering if it was to be entered in a race?
    I just want to make sure it's done right.
    I'm having the X in the rear stays and nothing in the main hoop that I know of.
    I still can't picture what the harness bars on the rear X look like though. He said there was 2 of them. I thought it would have been one bar.
    Hope it doesn't look silly with a really long harness!

11. jamesa Forum Junkie

Want some measurements ?

This is a SD rear with the diagonal modified (lifted) to accomodate the harness bar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. jamesa Forum Junkie

As Chris has said, have a look in that thread ...

The two harness bars - they will each locate between each diagonal of the `X` and each `45` stay that locates from the `B` pillar to the rear wheelarch ...

Nothing against Dave / Tornado but I`d be extremely careful on the positioning of these in relation to the seat - harness apertures ... again, consult Chris`s thread

Also:

Post 202

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118597&page=9

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  13. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

harness bar in a mk2 -

[​IMG]

looking at that pic its purely just a loop over bar with the harneses still being bolted to the rear mount... might be worth asking if its a viable option to use the bar as a proper mount and loop round it and back ala

[​IMG]

A bar in the middle would prob be useful too... one harness on the left of the X and the other on the right on the new middle bar, and then poss brake the harness bar to the tunnel as they ddo on the old mighty minis which have harnesses bars fitted

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  14. mat-mk3

Cheers for he info guys.
    I've read the rollcage FAQ 100 times now:lol:
    I don't see anywhere in there about mounting a harness or a harness bar at all.

Thanks for the pic, makes sence now and I did think I would have a problem with the angle of the harness on both sides.
    So what's the options. I want mount the harness on the cage rather than the floor.
    If I didn't get the 2 little harness bars put in could I just mount them on the rear strut brace?
    Cannot find any info on if they need to be shorter then x amount or they need to be mounted at a certain height in relation to he seats.
    Cheers guys
    Mat

15. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

rear strut brace is a no, no... some say its ok but the egninerring wise folks will just cringe.

as for harnesses height.. the rule of thumb is no more than 45 deg down from where it exits the seat and no more than 5 deg up.. best thing is as horizontal as poss. (some harnesses makers say that even 45deg is too low.. so check what your seat / harnesses make says)

16. mat-mk3

What would the rules say if i was to continue the harness bar right accross the X section?
    So you have the 2 little bits left and right and then a bar in the middle of the X.
    This means i could mount right arm of the harness on the little bar & the left arm on the middle bar.
    This would mean splitting the harness arms apart by the X though.

17. mat-mk3

Should have read that really:lol:

Just spoke to dave, He is putting a middle bit in too:thumbup:

18. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

if your using it for racing then I would double check its allwowed in the regs... also does he say its stong enough to be used for anchoraging the harnesses? and are you having the brace to the centre tunnel? this is the min one..

http://www.minisport.com/mini-spare-parts/info_SAFRBN096HB.html

but I cant find any pics of it fitted...

19. jamesa Forum Junkie

Those in post 33 above are incorrect !

Harness thread ...

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191416

My harness bar has always passed scrutineering for hills / sprints / trackdays but I was told by a racer that it would not for circuits as it is effectively just bolted in ... to the backstays / rear arches. Apparently it should be welded to the shell, completely.

You may wish to consider additional locations in addition to the standard 6 point fixing, could always be unbolted if disallowed by regs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. mat-mk3

He said he has had cars that have passed with it so i think it should be ok. Not having an extra brace.

Not going to be racing, But would like to have to have it there for future use when i sell the car etc.
    Im sure it will be stong enough for attaching the harness to, Its going to be very strong.
    Just did a quick measure and its going to be about 500mm from the back of the seat to the bar so not too bad.
    Lets hope the X doesnt fall right where i want to put the harness!

Forgot to ask him but do you think it will come with a brace built in between the struts or do i need a strutbrace for it?