Toyotec's How to install an ABF engine in your Mk2 Golf. Revisit of KJet car 180610

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Toyotec, Jul 4, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

In the picture from post 1/122/124 the engine from the ABF-KJet vehicle was shown. This is a running vehicle even to this day as reposted in post 112.
    Remember this was a replacement an head and block with the original K-Jet dress kit refitted.
    The oil sperator on the later engines is made out of plastic. The high load/partload crank ventilation system from the KR was just simply reused with no issues.
    Flywheel bolts you can use either ABF ones or the ones on your KR w/AGC/AYK gearbox.
    Arnau, I would suggest studying the ABF KJet conversion and pictures in post 1 carefully. The answers are all there really.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

I can get them from the owner.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  3. arnau Forum Member

Right, everything's pretty clear to me now. I've only left a question to ask: what size are the flywheel bolts? If they are non hex bolts, I'll need to buy the propper tool for my ratchet and as I'll be doing the transplant on sunday that will be impossible... What torque should I stretch them?

Sorry about filling your post with questions [:s] but they may be of help to someone in the future :p

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

9mm 12point, so a ring spanner will undo them, though you'll want a proper socket for your torque wrench to do them up again. torque spec is 20Nm (14 ft lb)

5. arnau Forum Member

great!!! I'll buy the socket, that's why I was asking :) or maybe I already have it...

thanks!"!!

6. golf16vgti Forum Member

Think may have found it.
    Also do you have a part number for the GTD airbox as there are several listed on etka.

7. rubjonny

the best one is the SEAT ABF airbox, it has the connections you need for inlet temp and isv. plus its actually available ;)

8. Doogle New Member

Hi guys, great thread.
    I am just starting my ABF conversion on my 1990 GL (CE2 but non GTI) so my question is what do I do with the wiring, its not my forte and seems confusing though have been told that 'its simple just plug and play'...?
    What do I need to do to fit it all in my GL, Im guessing I need to strip out some of the unecessary wires but what do i still need and where does it go to etc? Can it just be plugged into my mk2 fuse box or do i need to cut and connect/splice in the mk3 wiring to the mk2's engine wiring?
    Just looking for some help and advice really to keep things smooth as need the car back on the road asap.
    Thanks,
    Doug.

9. arnau Forum Member

well, I hit a bump :(

I'm in the middle of the abf transplant. I'd like to know just two things:

1. are kr and abf timing belt covers interchangeable?
    2. can a g60 oil sump gasked be used in an ABF engine?

thanks!!

10. murph81 Forum Member

T-belts are different, not sure about the sump gasket, if using a steel sump I'd say you're ok.

11. arnau Forum Member

thanks for your reply.

I wasn't refering to timing belts... I was talking about timing belt COVER :]

12. murph81 Forum Member

sorry its getting late [:$] pretty sure they are different!

13. arnau Forum Member

yes they're different but can I use KR covers in ABF?

I bought the top ABF one as I thought that the ABF lower I have was in good nick but it's knackered... and I need the car running by tomorrow.... I hope I can use KR covers :S

14. rubjonny

no the abf is taller so kr covers dont fit
    if the sump gasket is the rubber one it should be ok. the cork ones should be ok too though tbh

15. arnau Forum Member

ok. I've just ordered an ABF belt cover. thanks

16. arnau Forum Member

does it make any difference the way that the oil pressure senders are plugged into the oil cooler housing? I mean, in this pic you can see a black one and a white one. I've got them swapped over. is that okay? I think yes, but just to make sure...

btw, abf flywheel weights 9.6KG and corrado KR one 7.5.

17. rubjonny

nah it doesnt matter

18. arnau Forum Member

:thumbup:

19. arnau Forum Member

dropped the abf engine in, just to realize that PAS pump sits too far from the crank pulley that I'll need a longer belt, as well as PAS Pulley not being aligned with crank pulley and so I'll need to use some washers in order to move it away from the pump.... no comment there...!!!!

water pump pulley needs to be mounted the other way round so it lines up with crank pulley.

is there anyone who did an abf swap into a KR corrado, keeping KR k-jet and all kr pumps etc????????????????????????????????????? I was told it was pretty plug+play but it's not!

20. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Sounds like something is amiss there, KR Corrado and KR Golf have the same setups aswell so should be as stated on the original page.