Toyotec's How to install an ABF engine in your Mk2 Golf. Revisit of KJet car 180610

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Toyotec, Jul 4, 2007.

Tags:
  1. arnau Forum Member

yes, that was my thought. I'm using PAS as well as A.C., if that makes sense

2. chrismc Forum Junkie

Eddie- any thoughts with this?

I did have my car set to 2% CO at idle but have now richened it up a bit to 2.75%

WUR has been tweaked to give a 48psi control pressure too- so overall it's fairly rich IMO

A richer idle setting caused the idle to hunt though the car felt a little more punchy in the mid range....

As I don't want to adjust the mixture out of MOT limits- I'm thinking a further reduction of WUR control pressure would have the effect of richening it up further, then idle could be reset

Does this sound like a plan?

It needs a proper setup ideally.

Chris

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

you have done something wrong, if you want to use kr alt/pas setup then you need to unbolt EVERYTHING off the kr, including all the crank, waterpump pulleys and brackets, all pas brackets and pump etc then swap them over. all the bolt holes on the ABF and KR blocks are in the same place so it will swap straight over.

its far better to keep the ABF alt and pas setup if you can though. you can use everythign off a 2.0 8v mk3 if the abf was bare, except the crank pulley needs to be abf. waterpump pully needs to be ac if you are runnign ac, or non-ac if you arnt

4. timotei1980 Paid Member Paid Member

I'm hoping to carry out this conversion soon but want everything there ready.

Can someone tell me what gaskets i will need ie. ABF inlet manifold gasket or KR gasket, ABF exhaust manifold gasket or KR gasket etc.. or are they the same.

Thanks.

5. arnau Forum Member

I rechecked it and water pump pulley is okay, as well as a.c. and alternator.

the problem remains in PAS pulley which isn't aligned with crank pulley at all.

I've used everything off the old kr, pumps mounts, pulleys, pumps, belts....

6. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

if ever a thread needed splitting its this one from page 4 onwards lol.. it's become it's own subforum

7. brownvanman New Member

Thanks for starting this thread, it's a good starting point.

I'm currently doing this conversion on a 90 spec 8v car using a 3.2 digi engine and loom from a late MK3 golf.

I've got a few questions that I can't see answers for. I hope someone can help.

I have posted here but Toyotec has kindly pointed me to the relevent parts of this thread.

First questions are regarding the engine mounts.

My ABF is as removed from the donor car, I am using my MK2 front cross member and subframe and have bought new engine mounts, using the expensive gearbox, and cheapest of the others route, so 1300 front rubber.

I'm planning on using the 02A gearbox for my conversion, using the Seat Cable parts from a Toledo Sport, and the corrado G60 gear linkage.

Do I need to remove the mount to subframe mount bracket from my 020 and place them on my 02A?, do I need to change the ABF rear engine mount bracket to the one from my PB? is it OK to use the MK3 front engine mount bracket to attach it to my MK2 front cross member (sorry if this has been answered, but in one of the pictures it looks like a MK3 front cross member is used, hence wanting clarifcation)

In this pic

[​IMG]

The white plugs on the left loom are G1, G2 and F on the fusebox, is that correct?, what are the remaining plugs, as I didn't remove these from my loom when preparing my base car for conversion, and I'd like to pass on what ever is needed to the lad that's digi'ing the 8v I sold him.

My ABF loom is as removed from the donor car and I'm a bit confused as I appear to have a LOT more plugs that that, with a thick black cable, thick brown cable, and a number of yellow, green and blue plugs. [:s]

I'm also planning on using MK3 clocks, I understand that I can use the MK3 clock loom and bridge two cables on my fuse box to allow me to use them on the car, meaning I'll use the speed sensor and ECU feed for rpm.

I'm not planning on using the MK3 coil pack, prefering the MK2 coil. does this present an issue?, if so how can I combat this with my chosen combination.

Am I right in thinking that if I continue to unbind my loom I'll be able to unpick these parts of the loom and be left with what's in the picture on the right? and that this plugs into my fusebox and I'm about set to go?

From what I can fathom so far, parts of my three plugs seem to branch off into other plugs on the MK3 loom, this is confusing me some what, do these wires simply splice into the same coloured wires on my MK2 loom, or do I discard what I can't see in the picture.

If it helps, I can provide pictures of what I've got at the moment, and I can cut out and document for other people that are planning to take the route I am taking.

Thanks for your help so far.

8. rubjonny

1. no you need to keep all the 02a brackets and drop it right onto the 1.3 box mount.

2. yep f, g1 and g2 are the main fb plugs. there will be a large yellow plug with a red wire which is the injectors feed to Z1. there will be some other random plugs, theres a single pin for diagnostics, 2 or 3 pin for the dash clocks, plus a few others for speedo sensor and other bits you dont need.
    mk3 also has the battery live and earth cables in the engine loom, wheras on the mk2 its in the lighting loom. if its a late mk3 loom all the lighting plugs will be in there too, which i also strip out.

i remove the battery cables from the mk3 loom, once the fan controller and lighting loom is stripped out you should end up with the ecu earth with nowhere to go, with that i splice it into the tci unit earth after converting the abf loom to use the mk2 TCI unit. to make the mk2 tci unit work chop the mk3 coil plug off, bin the black and brown wires then splice the red/green wire to the mk2 tci unit pin 6. if the tci loom was from a carb or k-jet 8v, there will be 2 more wires for the dizzy which can be chopped out. then all you do is run the black wire for the coil +ve and plug the tci unit in as it was on the old car. the red/black wire is for the rev counter, but you wont need it as you'll be using the mk3 ecu rev counter signal for the mk3 clocks.

best place to start is remove the lighting loom from the engine, then work from there. you can also remove the carbon canister wiring, plus the spare 2 pin plug on plastic pipe on the side of the engine with the brown and black wires

9. brownvanman New Member

I think the lad I got the engine from removed the lighting loom when he took the engine from the car.

The loom is at my house, rather than the workshop, so I'll take pictures tonight.

I think I'll have another night of loom stripping tonight, :), will post pics as I go along.

10. brownvanman New Member

Oh and thanks Jonny :), your help and feedback are appreciated.

11. brownvanman New Member

First of all, scuse the crappy pics taken on my phone.

[​IMG]

So these are the ones I want to keep yes?

I hope so..., the grey one goes off to the immobiliser unit (I've not done that bit yet), not sure what the blue/white stripe one is. The white three I think are the ones that'll go to F, G1 and G2.

This one is the speedo/clocks feed, I had to chop a couple of the cables as they went off into a yellow plug, so I guess that I splice these wires into my loom in existing car?

This is confusing me, I cut it out but have put it back in because I guessed it's one of the sensor plugs, engine isn't here for me to check.

[​IMG]

Top plug was at the fuse box end, or at least close by to it.

Cables are blue/brown stripe and solid brown (earth?)

the blue/brown stripe cable ties into the yellow plug.

The yellow plug then has a few more cables on, there's a thicker blue stripe on brown cable that goes to the black plug (this was near the large circular plug on the loom engine end) and a green cable with red stripe.

[​IMG]

And this one is at the engine end of the loom, I've coiled the red thick wire and brown thick wire here, as I'm not sure if they still need to go to my fusebox? I guess again brown is earth, and red is a live feed.

at the end of the brown wire is a black cable with an eye mount, looks like engine earth?

Thanks again for any help.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2018
  12. paultownsend Forum Member

13. rubjonny

anything on the yellow plug isnt needed, thats for brake fluid warning and things like that. the 2 plugs to the right with the thick brown and red are for the radiator fan, this can all be binned as you can keep the mk2 fan setup on the mk2 lighting loom. the chunky brown plug is the main battery -ve to the fusebox, again this can be binned as this is in the lighting loom on the mk2.

mk3 immob ring clips straight to the mk2 90spec ign lock, not sure on the pre-90 as never tried. that key will do you, what i did was i got a remote central locking kit with a mk4 fob from rclick.co.uk and put the chip in that. they do mk2 style key blanks too, cost me a couple quid to get cut in the local locksmith place

14. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Just to add clarity to the advice from John, the picture above shows the original Digifant 2 engine control loom on the left and the 'cutdown' Digifant 3.2 MK3 unit, ready for MK2 installation on the right. Regarding immo ring and transponder both are shown in the How to thread, stuck together as that specific car had a cat 1 alarm system.

15. brownvanman New Member

Thanks for the clarification guys.

I didn't get any time to work on the car this weekend, as I was wrestling my brothers Passat B3.

Hopefully it'll all get put together on Saturday.

16. paultownsend Forum Member

transponder and chip sorted. could not have been easier! nice secure car now

17. Alex mac Forum Member

I have just completed the kr k-jet to ABF k-jet conversion but it will not fire. Checked ht lead number 1 and it sparks and so does the king lead from the coil. But number 2,3,4 ht leads do not spark. I have tried two dizzies one of witch is brand new. I have taken the dizzie cap off and cleaned all the points up and the rotor arm. All ht leads work fine on number 1 and so do the plugs. When the engine is at TDC the dizzie is spot on the timing Mark, I can't think of anything else. Can someone shine some light on it?

Cheers, alex mac.

18. danster Forum Addict

You need to use a KR dizzy, not an ABF one as it only has one window for the hall sensor. Hence only firing on one.

19. Alex mac Forum Member

That didn't work, it back fired in the air box twice. I'll have a look and see if the spark plugs are sparking tomorrow. The leads do go 1,3,4,2. 1 starting at the bottom left going anti clockwise?

20. danster Forum Addict

What dizzy are you using?