track rubber

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by pol, May 23, 2008.

1. POL

pol Forum Member

i've been looking for some high performance road legal rubber to put on my new 15" rims for the road trip to the ring. r888's seem to be the weapons of choice due to cost and performance per . anyone got anything else to add to the mix?

i've seen the avon zzr, yoko a048 etc but they're a good bit more pricey than the r888's. is there something i've missed or anything not so track focused i should consider??

best price i've seen so far was 245 for 4x 195/50/15 2g rated r888's delivered from www.tyretraders.co.uk

2. gillm

gillm ***** User

go for the 888's mate . a few mates run the yoko's on minis and are now trying to find out if they can get some to fit the minis now as they think they are better

3. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

4. Hypermonkey Forum Member

They look quite good.
    I use 888s though as have a set on the rears atm that have done 8 days on the fronts and 2 on the rear and still have another1-2 days left in them. These do about 130-150 miles per track day in serious anger and always perform amazingly (see Trackmasters Spring Blast vids) and tbh are not too expensive when friends run the Avons and have replaced the full set 3 track days ago.
    I'm looking into a company from oop North who are trying to get new 888s in for 55 each (195-50-15) for new and 20 (same size) for ones that have had 2-3 track days done on them.
    These are good for people like me whoo have a different set for the road so they don't have to be road legal as long as there is still tread on them and the marshals at the track are ok with them...which they have been:) .

5. POL

pol Forum Member

federals look interesting. can't find any reviews online for them though. not sure id be willing to risk them without an objective opinion.

hypermonkey, whats the deal with the 55 r888's?

6. Hypermonkey Forum Member

This company does a lot of work on track days...they take their van and do fitting on site. A lot of wealthy people go there, have track rubber put on their rims, use them for the day and then have their road rubber put back on. The 'used' rubber is then sold on at a discount.
    Because they do this 2-3 times a week they have a good raport with the manufactures, especially Toyo so they can get the rubber at very good prices. I'm speaking to them later today and will ask what they can do for multiple sets as I'm sure people here will jump at some discounted new or used 888s.

7. Hypermonkey Forum Member

Ok then, I've just spoken to Jason at Protyre and he's offered the following to Club GTi folks.

The 888s are in silly demand at the moment and the lowest he can do is 70.50 for 195/50/15s each. He can do delivery for 24 for 4 and will take 2-4 days to get them delivered. The 55 was only for the trackday I was at as had some surplus and wanted to get rid...I'd just bought 2 so left this offer...doh!!
    He has however offered what looks like a really good deal on some new Dunlop tyres. The DZ 20G are a harder tyre than the toyo 888s with a harder compound and stiffer tyre wall. These are still road legal and are meant to be 120-140 for the 195/50/15s. He has 20 coming in next week and will do them for 55 each inc vat plus delivery.

Hope this helps:)

8. vrbanana Forum Junkie

Try Simply tyres, think they were 58-61 each and free delivery, ring and check the prices though

9. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

No longer at that price, I phoned up about 3 weeks ago and the price had gone back upto around 70 a tyre. Tyre traders were hte cheapest I could find delivered, think it works aout as 61.25ish a tyre.

10. fthaimike Forum Addict

Car you get tyres at reasonable prices for wheels 10x15 / 9x15 for a mk1?

11. jamesa Forum Junkie

I think the Dunlop DZ20G is the replacement for the older DO1J [:?:]

Have used the DO1J on road, hills and tracks (sprints) and find them excellent. As said, not the softest however the stiff sidewall provides great steering response / feel.

The DO1J was not available in 195/50, only 195/55 and 205/50 ... maybe just check the size again.

12. Hypermonkey Forum Member

Bloke defo said 195/50/15....but will ask again ;)

13. seanlazyass Forum Member

14. jamesa Forum Junkie

50 or 55 ... that`s a superb price :thumbup:

15. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Simply Tyres?

Did you quote CGTI?

16. gillm

gillm ***** User

try camskill thats where i got mine , more then happy with the service

17. Hypermonkey Forum Member

He's only getting 20 Dunlops in next week at that price so if you need any be quick.

Speak to Jason on 01782 411001 and say you're from Club Gti (golf forum as he says lol) to get the price.

18. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

The point of the Simple Tyres discount was that is was the cheapest rate around. We spent a long time negotiating it :)

Thread here in the member's section.

19. gillm

gillm ***** User

camskill were the only place that had them in stock at a good price when i ordered / wanted some

20. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

So what were they, to the doorstep?