track rubber

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by pol, May 23, 2008.

1. altern8 Forum Junkie

camskill price incl postage if i rember chris

2. D-systems New Member

I can't remember which magazine it was in (might have been practical performance car) but they did a tyre test supplement about a month ago with toyo R888 and yoko's and a few other legal slicks and they were tested on a mk2 golf and a westfield or caterham and from what I remember a tyre called the silverstone R came out best. I'm sure they said that the golf was running in the mk2 series.

Here's a bit of someone elses thread who must have bought that issue.

"There was a track tyre test supplement with Mays issue of PPC magazine where they tested a load of track tyres (Toyo R888, Yoko A048, Dunlop D036, Kumho V700, BF Goodrich G Force Profiler, Silverstone RR).
    Tests were carried out at Donnington with two different track cars (factory Westfield and Mk2 Golf Gti) and performed by two championship winning race drivers.
    The results were a bit divided but...
    6th place - BF Goodrich (it's really a road tyre but stood up well to track work, good for beginners)
    4&5th place - joint places for Kumho V700 and Dunlop D036
    Top 3 places were close call between them...
    3rd place - Yoko A048 (good but a soft compound, provides same grip as the top two but the top two were intermediate compound so will last longer. Also the Yokos are more expensive than the top two.)
    2nd place - Toyo R888
    1st place - Silverstone RR (not much between the Toyo R888 and the Silverstone, both drivers agreed the Silverstone was better but when price is taken into account the Toyo can usually be found for a cheaper price.)

3. D-systems New Member

Just found this on Pistonheads as I was sure I remembered seeing this tyre test supplement somewhere. I'm pretty sure that the Golf they used was from the Mk2 race series

"There was a track tyre test supplement with Mays issue of PPC magazine where they tested a load of track tyres (Toyo R888, Yoko A048, Dunlop D036, Kumho V700, BF Goodrich G Force Profiler, Silverstone RR).
    Tests were carried out at Donnington with two different track cars (factory Westfield and Mk2 Golf Gti) and performed by two championship winning race drivers.
    The results were a bit divided but...
    6th place - BF Goodrich (it's really a road tyre but stood up well to track work, good for beginners)
    4&5th place - joint places for Kumho V700 and Dunlop D036
    Top 3 places were close call between them...
    3rd place - Yoko A048 (good but a soft compound, provides same grip as the top two but the top two were intermediate compound so will last longer. Also the Yokos are more expensive than the top two.)
    2nd place - Toyo R888
    1st place - Silverstone RR (not much between the Toyo R888 and the Silverstone, both drivers agreed the Silverstone was better but when price is taken into account the Toyo can usually be found for a cheaper price.)"

4. jamesa Forum Junkie

fyi ...

195/55 x 15 (7" rim) DO1J - 185/60 x 14 (6" rim) AO32R

[​IMG]

AO32R in 15" only available as 205/50 IIRC

On the road the DO1J are fairly quiet, the AO32R are not .... both cope with wet conditions OK as long as you`re sensible ;)

5. gillm

gillm ***** User

camskill were 264 to my door for 4

6. jamesa Forum Junkie

7. Hypermonkey Forum Member

8. jamesa Forum Junkie

Last edited: May 24, 2008
  9. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Simply Tyres would have been 244

10. POL

pol Forum Member

anymore thoughts on tyres boys? very tempted to call up and get a set of these dunlop's at 55 a tyre. camskill only list them as a 195/55/15 though and 136 a pop. :O

anyone heard anything about the hankook trackday tyres?
    HANKOOK R S2 Z212

11. mickey marrows Forum Member

I'll be rebelious and say I really don't like my R888's.. I'm running 185/60R14's on my mk1 and I'm not impressed. I bought them when they were cheap, but I'll revert back to Avons or Dunlops soon and sod the cost.. I didn't put all this time into building this car to compromise it with cheap tyres...

12. jamesa Forum Junkie

Update on Silverstone RR`s

Just spoken with James at ServiceandSport - 01704 898940

Details:

- Road legal
    - Motorsport construction (a la touring car), stiffer sidewalls etc
    - Choice of four compounds including a `wet`

Prices:

185/55 x 14 - 85 + VAT retail - 80 + VAT to ClubGTI

195/50 x 15 - 95 + VAT retail - 90 + VAT to ClubGTI

Collection from Lancashire base available
    Delivery via TNT 30 + VAT for four tyres

HTH`s

13. jamesa Forum Junkie

Hi,

What suspension are you running ?

Cheers

14. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Unless I've been blinded, I thought the 888s pretty much had the road-legal market locked up. It looks like there's a few others creeping in though, but they've all got to undercut each other - and be just as good...

FWIW, the Reeves Mk2 was out on 888s a week or so ago, and they were raving about them being not far off a slick. I was expecting to be asked to use them up after they'd failed the test, but no such luck!!

15. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

There are more than one compound of 888 though I have heard - anyone know details ?

There's lotus elise's running on 888s in mod prod when they could use slicks and the feedback is just that - not far off a slick performance

not as fast on my car though - tested em back to back with avon slicks at Aintree a few weeks back and at least 1 sec slower over around 53 secs. But my suspension is probably not got enough camber on for 888s running quite upright for crosspilies - so not optimum for their use - so it could be quite close......

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  16. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

17. IanCarvell Forum Member

I used slicks in an all comers race at Snetterton last year then switched to the Toyo's for our race.

The Slicks did 1:24.99 and the Toyo's did 1:26.65.

I think the Dunlop D01J's are the best road tyre for the dry, they have a much stiffer carcass, but the Toyo is much better in the wet....so is a better all rounder....and cheaper.

18. mickey marrows Forum Member

Short competion Bilsteins, rose jointed TCA's up front..

19. jamesa Forum Junkie

Thanks Mickey,

Reason being - I`m interested in the suspension vs tyre carcass design aspect now that I`ve changed my own suspension.

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  20. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

http://www.toyo.co.uk/releasedetail.php?id=88&identity=latest_news

march this year press release from Toyo

That explains it - Gary Thomas is one of the Elises I was referring to - very quick driver and car and a very good recommendation if he's using them

My time of about a second slower than slicks was comparing my 'medium / GG' tyres so I bet the SG's rock big time, and would allow all weather running as my GG's were ace in the wet so softer should be better still