track rubber

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by pol, May 23, 2008.

1. mickey marrows Forum Member

I notice that the silverstone 195/50 R15 is only recommended up to a 6.5" rim, seeing as these have a true competion sidewall has anyone got them on a 7" rim?

2. mickey marrows Forum Member

Just as an update, went to see James at Service and Sport to have a look at the Silverstone tyre range and discuss applications.
    He was excellent, took the time to show me the various compounds and treads etc and was very knowledgeable. He also answered my question above regarding my 7" rims.

So if anyone wants a set of nearly new (100miles on road max) R888's in 185/60R14 then get in touch :) I may even sell then mounted on the rims (StilAuto Sigmas)..

3. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

Mickey, I spoke to James today about a set of FTZ Wets, he was very helpful and I`ll probably be getting a set soon.

4. steved Forum Member

I run Silverstone Slicks on my 15's, I've not had a chance to give them a hard time yet but will report back when i do, Practical Performance Car run a Tyre test in May's issue i've not seen it but apparently the Silverstone tyre came out on top.

5. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

R888s vs Hankook RS-2

Has anyone used both of these tyres on the same car to compare?

My R888s are pretty much dead after the 'ring trip and once again pondering if to get the cheaper Hankooks. Asked Camskill if they'd had any feedback, they said the RS-2 last a bit longer, better as a 'road tyre' but not the outright grip of the Toyo - As I use my car daily on R tyres, the wear needs to be taken into consideration I guess.

I've used R888s for the last two yrs.

edit - I could always use normal road tyres on a day to day basis, but need to get rid of other mk2 as it's sitting on my o-z wheels...

195/50x15 Hankook RS-2 x 4 sub 200 delivered.

6. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Sounds worth a look indeed at those prices.

I had some Toyos fitted yesterday and the pressures needed to bead them up p155 me off, big time. Twice now, and different fitters...

Keen to find some others, plus 888 prices are creeping.

7. GVK

When fitting R888s I put loads of soap inside the well of the wheel, never had a problem yet popping on the rim.

Worth mentioning.

8. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Yep, tried that. Unless it's the wheels [:s]

9. GVK

How much pressure was req'd Chris 70+ psi or?

10. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

90 psi and same-ish when I had them beaded last time

11. GVK

Ouch - i'd be shaking a bit at that - commercial tyre fitting cage needed there !!

12. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

I know the bloke that fitted my R888s to my Compo's had a hard time getting them on, something to do with the internal shape of the wheel apparantly.

Gary have you checked www.tyretraders.co.uk I got mine from there and they were by far the cheapest, and really quick delivery as well.

13. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

my tyres have needed >100psi previously.. BANG! and whincing by ProTyre..

Even Worse trying to get the bead over on the slicks!

14. mickey marrows Forum Member

My car is sat on axle stands at the moment as when trying to bead my Silverstones on my 15" E50's the outer rim blew... very scary moment... now waiting for new rims to be made :(

15. c8dhc Forum Member

16. altern8 Forum Junkie

136 each ouch

17. c8dhc Forum Member

I don't pay that much for them! (I actually pay less than that for a 2nd hand set of 4!) I have a contact who preps cars for ginetta junior series.

[​IMG]

The top one shows how I receive them - the one underneath has done a day at Blyton. The tyres I get have usually been used for a practice/test session and still have loads of tread left. They normally have a few 'rubbery blobs' around the inside edge (im guessing from when the tyres have got warm?) but this soon disappers after a couple of laps. Only problem is they are a 195/55/15 - Don't get any problems with them scraping on outer arches but they do catch on the inners slightly when on full lock.

They are in quite a limited supply but he usually has enough to keep me going (I don't do that many trackdays and they don't wear too bad) Id recommend them to anyone but wouldn't pay 500+ for a set!

18. m477hew Forum Member

Rich had similar problems. His fitter struggled to get the R888s on his race wheels, required massive psi.