trade insurance

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by rocco2litre, Aug 27, 2008.

1. rocco2litre

rocco2litre Forum Junkie

been quoted about 500 for trade cover fully comp.
    as have 3 seperate cars insured, budget want to cancel every policy
    charge me 25 just for changing one mk1 to another.
    trade quote allows you to have 10 cars at one time, covers for test drives etc.
    only upto 2500 in one claim though.
    any one else recommend a trade policy or company?

2. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

also does anyone know how old you have to be to get trade cover? Im paying just over a grand a year to insure two modded gti's and a TD. It aint bad but paying less and getting trade cover would be better.

3. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

That sounds bloody cheap to me!? :o

Neil.

4. rocco2litre

rocco2litre Forum Junkie

can pay in monthly aswell they want 120 to hold aswell which you get back at end of year.
    think it is because some dodgy dealers take out a month then cancel.
    only insures upto 2.5k....which is ok in most cars driving to and from mot place.
    poxy pain at moment cause 1 car i only had one month.
    tpf&theft was 390....

5. dooosuk Forum Member

Who was the trade insurance quote with?

Thanks
    Andy

6. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

what does trade insurance cover?

normal day to day driving or just to from place of trade?

i wouldn't mind doing this to get my mk1 on the road along with my daily driver

7. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

any idea on this?

8. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

best thing to do is call around, when I checked it out there where so many different choices of cover, i did find it good priced thou, only catch being as my main car I was only allowed up to insurance group 15 cars with no mods, im waiting to turn 25 in a few months time when I will be able to get better options.

9. rgh7374

rgh7374 Forum Member

10. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

I started calling around today to get a new price as my renewal is up, and wow the motor trade insurance brokers are on the hard sell big time, there all calling me back and all doing so much leg work for me and seem to get better prices than me going direct. Pitstop seem very helpful and so far have got me the best deal. Chuffed at the prices its less than what I pay for 2 cars now and nearly no restrictions:thumbup:

11. skint_golfer

skint_golfer Forum Member

maybe I'm living in the past a bit here but I thought that (historcally) trade cover was invalid if used on your personal transport...

and dont you need trade plates too?

12. GRINGOG60 Forum Member

I was a trader when i lived in the Uk and i used Catterral insurance for the last lot and they seemed to be the best.

One thing to bare in mind is that they will ask you to proove you are a trader and they will also spring this on you at random, and not when you take up the policy, and I doubt very much any of you will be able to proove that. You can use it IF you are a trader for personal use yes but you lot aren't! You will probably get into very hot water if you have a claim that needs to go to court.

No you don't need trade plates. The only problem is that you get the occasional tug from the police when you get picked up on the police ANPR because they think the car is uninsured.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  13. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

iv told them how often I deal with cars be it working on for financial gain or buying and selling, they where happy that I qualify as a part time trader, it doesnt take much, but more than your average person obviously. I already am self employed and motor trade work is listed on my self employment documents, just need to keep accounts of all car sales and paid work and everything should be fine. Im covered to use any car in my name for social/business/and trade use, including modified and sports cars, all fully comp aswell.

Also it seems now that you inform the insurance company of all cars owned and inform them when you sell so they put them on the MID so you dont get pulled all the time.

And the mk1 will have its own policy from now on to keep my no claims discount going as they dont use it they just mirror it.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  14. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

I have trade insurance through Quotemetoday. Guy called Leon sorted me out. For me and the wife I can have 4 personal cars and drive any car fully comp. If I am sitting with someone else driving they are also covered fully comp (demo cover). I left the indemnity at 7.5k because the chances of me owning something of that value are very slim at the moment. I have 3 points on my licence for speeding Im 27, wife is 30 with 7 years NCB. The policy cost me just under 900. Also having the policy on my name or on my wifes name only made around 30 difference. Actual policy is with Liverpool Victoria and then Highway (I think)

15. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

so if you don't actually have a business can you get this?

could i just register as a company perhaps?

16. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

I made up a company name on the spot. you do not need to have a registered company, you could simply be trading from home on a part time basis (as I do from time to time)

17. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

And you'll then have to prove to them that you're a trader, if you can't it'll be 6 points and a hefty fine.

The presumption of innocence doesn't appear to apply to no insurance offences judging by the number of cars seized purely on the basis that ANPR shows the vehicle as uninsured

18. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

When I asked about the getting pulled over all the time and getting my cars impounded (would never worry about the points and fine, you could easily prove innocence but maybe not on the spot) they said about informing them of all cars bought and sold and if driving one before I can inform them make sure I have all my documents on me and that should be enough.

19. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

These problems usually arise out of office hours when your insurers are not contactable to confirm cover, unfortunately if ANPR or the MIB database shows a car as uninsured it often gets seized. Wrong but it's what often happens.

20. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

I know all too well gaz, iv had the same car siezed inncorectly twice, cost me near to 400 to sort out and no appoligies from the police and no chance of seeing my money back, digusting tbh. Any car I own will be put on the MID by my insurer so the only time I'm at risk is driving new cars home in the evening, its a joke that I have to be worried about not breaking the law and my age and apperance normaly mean the police will only assume the worst from me.