trade insurance

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by rocco2litre, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

I'm surprised that the legality of seizing a vehicle based on the evidence of an independant database hasn't been challenged. I'm not saying that the DVLA's database is 100% accurate but it is at least operated by one agency whereas the MIB database is updated by hundreds of seperate companies.

The worst part is that you are unlikely to get your money refunded even if the car was insured & therefore shouldn't have been seized.

2. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

I wonder what would happen if I got pulled, I showed them certificates which they would then most likely ignor due to its just abit of paper, so they decide to impound the car, I say I'm just gona grab something from the car and lock myself in and refuse to move until the insurance company was open so that they could call up to confirm I'm insured, they wouldn't tow or load a car onto a flat bed with me inside, H&S would not like that, would they just smash the window and pull me out? (Sorry about bad english and spelling I'm posting off my phone)

3. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

Yes they would eventually smash and grab then you would get in a whole lot more trouble :thumbup:

4. skint_golfer

skint_golfer Forum Member

attempting to pervert the course of justice possibly??? I believe there is also an offence relating to a refusal to obey a police officer when given a reasonable request or comand.

moot point realy as the police have the power to stop and search and if you dive into your car and refuse to get out untill the insurance office opens then they could simply claim they need to search you for drugs as only a druggy or mentalist would do such a thing....

5. skint_golfer

skint_golfer Forum Member

seem to remember someone being convicted a few years back for refusing to help aprehend a suspect when a copper asked him to,

his (valid) excuse of being soley in charge of a small child and not wanting to leave them alone and in possible danger didn't wash and he got bent over for it!

6. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

What a police officer asked a member of public to help and when he didnt help he got convicted:lol: thats got to be bull, police cant ask members of public to get involved and risk injury, might be a bit more to this story but the way you've wrote it makes it sound like total cr@p.

My old house mate was walking down a road in cardiff late one night when a bunch of guys in a van asked if he would help lift a barrier as it was broken, he lifted it, they drove off. In the morning loads of police all over the place as it had been robbed:lol: He did eventually go tell the police what happened but he was worried he might get in trouble though.

7. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

Think of a better way to avoid 200 pounds worth of impound fees when your totaly innocent? Dont have to be a druggy or a mentalist to make a protest about a stupid system that doesnt work properly yet.

8. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

looking to set up a small motor business, would like some trade cover to cover my own vehicles and also customers vehicles when they are in?

any up to date suggestions? could I also add my main car under this type of policy and myabe my mrs'?

9. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

any up to date recs then?

10. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

I had a trade policy which covered up to four private vehicles and any other car I sat in. Give quotemetoday a call as they came up best by far for me. Only issue with trade insurance is that there is no windscreen cover so if you have an awkward car such as a Corrado as I had at the time it can be expensive sourcing the screen and someone willing to fit it.

Edit: oops seems like I have already added my 2p worth on this thread - must be going mad.

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  11. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

Quotes so far:

27yrs old
    CF62 postcode
    10yrs driving
    7yrs NCB
    Part time trader, buying selling, servicing including LPG
    Fully Comp
    Max 5000 per vehicle
    Demo cover
    Unlimited number of vehicles

Pitstop 1790
    The Insurance Factory 930 (through Trident)

Got a local broker on the case and going to try quotemetoday, catterrall and tradex

12. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

I apologise it wasn't Trident who were cheapest but Tradewise, looking to set up next week

13. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

That's who I'm with, same set up as you and can't say iv had a problem with them, also no one else came close on price. Worth checking out what's not covered, was annoyed that I have no windscreen cover.

14. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

email received following discussion:

I have sent an email reply to clarify the following points:

1. Can you confirm I able to drive other people's cars i.e. customers.
    2. Does this have a liability amount?
    3. Is there a fee to change vehicles
    4. Do I accrue a NCB on this?

15. LregG

LregG Paid Member Paid Member

i have had trade policy for four years now.....mine was up for renewal on the 24th of this month through quotemetoday/qbe at 780 for 5k indemnity with 300 excess for fully comp for trade, social and domestic use with protected no claims, legal cover......

I then searched around and got 750 for 7.5k indemnity with 250 excess through lionheart/markerstudy

I'm 34, work as a vehicle tech full time and have the insurance based on fixing/servicing of freinds and family cars with no business address to speak of, it's based on my home address,

A quick mention of what to look out for, the indemnity means you are covered up to that amonut for a single claim.....if you have three cars parked outseide your house and one catches fire and the other two go up in flames as well then you only have cover for your indemnity limit and not three times that amount.

Also, if you crash a car and write it off then you will get trade value and not makret vaule for it if as you are seen to be in the trade so replacing that car shouldn't be an issue!

Bar that, it makes sense as anyone in the trade (and who is honest with there insurance in respect of being in the trade) to get trade policy as you do not get drive any other car 3rd party on a private insurance policy if fully comp

16. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

where did you get liability cover from?

17. andipandi Paid Member Paid Member

be very cairfull with trade insurance, most will not take mods into the write off pricing and like said above will only pay trade money.
    i had a demo car for when i was self empoyed that cost 12k to build and it was on the trade policy, they knew the spec but would not give agreed value, and u guessed it, it got hit,

they paid out 2.5k,

also if u ever leave trade insurance the no claims cannot be carried it back to normal car insurance

so in having my busness i lost 9500 in a car and 6 years no claims,

18. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

I was not aware of the loss of no claims, something I need to look into asap I have 8+years so...[:s]

The modded car thing is a bugger, they will only give me 3rd party on the Mk2 due to a engine swap but as its a sub 2k car I can live with it especially as its worth more in parts anyway. I wont drive the cabby on it thou as book value is like 300quid and its cost more than that to put together!

19. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

It may have cost you 12k to build but that doesn't mean it was worth that though surely? Still not fair I agree

What book value do they go on? Surely if you can prove what similar cars have sold for what's the issue?

20. andipandi Paid Member Paid Member

it was a mr2 turbo had everything done i built it as my company demo, when it got hit i struggled to get it back they said i didnt have salvage rights,

there sugestion was it should been put on normal insurance with agreed value, not what i wanted to hear as i was covered on anything upto 50k

what also put me off was knowing that they would only pay trade values, so if i was driving a customers car that got drove into i would allways have to add around 2.5k of my own money just to replace they car,

i dont want to try and put u off just show u the pit falls,

just think of this as a example u drive your mates show car to do some workand it gets hit, and they pay u out for a standard mk2 gti say 750 it cost 5k to build could u realy just find them a std mk2 back???

i know i couldnt,