Tsr cadwell

Discussion in '16-valve' started by loach, Jul 1, 2010.

1. loach

loach Forum Member

Looks like the Newman cams could be to Blame for the lack of power , the car is back into TSr on Saturday for new cams to be fitted . This time with Piper 274/276 ultimate road , lets hope this sorts it . Watch this space !

2. vwp6n Forum Member

what was the car getting with the newman cams? whens the car gonna be re run to see the power figures?

3. loach

loach Forum Member

Was only making 152 , with the spec of the engine should be around 180 . They seem to think that the profile of the cam as been ground wrong which would explain why the car is so down on power has everything else checks out ok . All been well should have the car back midweek.

4. Mark_B Forum Member

As a note, My GTI Engineering RE 1.9 made 180bhp with standard cams.
    best of luck, its all in the timing and fueling.

5. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

My ABF/KR Head 2.0L did 170bhp with KR Cams (RE2000 42MM inlet) .

Interesting about the Cams

i would go for CAT Cams i know they have had issues but most people have used them and they are now tried and tested. :thumbup:

6. loach

loach Forum Member

Thanks for that Mark , impressive figures on standard cams . The car as also had a new fuel system , new metering head injectors etc So to be honest I'm hoping for a figure around 190 . They were also unable to advance the timing far enough , which again could be a result of duff cams as the ecu , distributor etc checked out ok .

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  7. Gambit

Gambit Paid Member Paid Member

when they change the cams get them to check the timing marks on the newman ones - as per my reply in your ignition thread

8. loach

loach Forum Member

Yes thanks for that i mentioned it when i spoke to them on the phone.

9. Mark_B Forum Member

Be very interested if you made 190, Mine did 167 before WUR, but My RE 1.9 finaaly just let go! so I have a 9a bottom end now, hopefully i will make 180 again.

So nice to see another original clean RED mk2, makes me miss mine while its off the road.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/barrell/

10. loach

loach Forum Member

Thanks for the comments . The car is exactly the same spec as the 5th gear car and i think that made 187 when it had loosened up. Mine has only covered 2000 miles since the rebuild , so perhaps 190 is a tad optimistic , be nice if it did though , but be happy with anything close to 180 !

11. loach

loach Forum Member

Help!!

New cams fitted , and have made little difference to the bhp [:^(] the car is still running lean at the top end ! The car as a new modified metering head and injectors. Tsr are now looking at changing the fuel pump although the car does not splutter or seem to suffer from fuel starvation . Would this cause such a drop in bhp if the pump was faulty ? The car as previously stated pulls well low down , but just runs out of steam at around 5k !!

12. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

You bhp junkies eh?

If it is running lean up top then it will not make any torque. If the torque is dropping as the revs are increasing then your glorious BHP figure will be low and you will not be happy.

13. Gambit

Gambit Paid Member Paid Member

see the vernier you are using - did you's check that the timing mark lined up correctly. i had a vernier for a 2.0 16v and its timing notch was a tooth out in comparison to the KR std pulley.

so had to remark the vernier and start all over checking timing again

though im guessing TSR would be checking all this as they went along, rather than just trial n error in a home garage that i had!!

14. loach

loach Forum Member

Too right not happy ! but what the hell could be causing it everything , ecu , distributor etc checks out fine [:x]

15. loach

loach Forum Member

Everything as been checked and double checked , like i said they are replacing the fuel pump , but would this cause such a loss in power ?

16. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

According to you, that is driving the problem.

17. loach

loach Forum Member

You've lost me ! the cams were replaced as Tsr thought that they could be faulty ( Newman 272's ) and this was causing the problem , this proved not to be the case . My question been the car drives fine no misfire etc so could the fuel pump be causing such a drop in power ? 30 bhp down on proven expected figures .

18. chrismc Forum Junkie

In a word, Yes.

A lower than optimum fuel pump output will show up as a lean mixture at high rpm. I have known a high spec 2L valver to be 30bhp down for exactly that...

Should be relatively easy to diagnose with a fuel pressure guage though.

Not being able to advance the ignition timing far enough is an odd one though. It won't make any power without suitable advance either..

19. loach

loach Forum Member

Thank you !

20. chrismc Forum Junkie

Is the WUR known to be good and working correctly too?? It will most likely have been modded to adjust the control pressure to richen up the top end as well..

Pretty sure the mixture will lean out if it goes belly up...