Tsr cadwell

Discussion in '16-valve' started by loach, Jul 1, 2010.

1. loach

loach Forum Member

Tsr have fitted a modded metering head , and when i mentioned the wur they did not seem to keen on doing this mod , i know not why ! The engine conversion is a tried and proven one , and i take it they know what they are doing . I'm very much in their hands and with what they tell me . They say that the pressure checks out ok , but it could be that not the right amount of fuel is not getting there , does this make sense ?

2. jamesa Forum Junkie

Yes ... have they checked the lift pump and all the pumps` wiring ?

What`s the static ignition timing set at ?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  3. G60RCaol Forum Member

You can't get enough advance? Doesn't this point to the cam timing being out?

4. loach

loach Forum Member

Don't know , but like i said i assume they know what they are doing . I've used Tsr from the old days when Tim was in charge and have always received good service off them .

5. jamesa Forum Junkie

TSR - so have I but not since the last ownership change, not sure if any of the old team are still there ?

I just wondered how far away from the standard KR 6` it was / was trying to be set ?

The experience that chrismc referred to I also know about, that`s why I said to check that the lift pump / wiring is 100%

6. loach

loach Forum Member

I've had problems with the lift pump before , and it's usually easy to spot because the main pump becomes noisy as it struggles to suck fuel , not happening in this case . They are replacing the main pump today , will know more after lunch . Cant really see what else it can be because everything else is in the fuel system is new . Will post when I've spoken to them , here's hoping !

7. Gambit

Gambit Paid Member Paid Member

do they have the gauges to check the fuel pressure?

8. loach

loach Forum Member

Yes all been checked and ok , they seem to think it's the amount of fuel been delivered not the pressure that is the problem

9. vwp6n Forum Member

it will be interesting to see what the actual problem is with your car,
    if the pump was faulty wouldnt it show up when the metering equipment was connected?

also why wont TSR adjust the pressures from the WUR?

do you know what they have done to the metreing head to upgrade it or is it top secret?

10. loach

loach Forum Member

11. chrismc Forum Junkie

Whilst the system and control fuel pressure may appear ok at idle, it's further up the rev range that needs looking at.

If the supply is weak and cannot match demand under heavy load it will go lean and the system pressure will be seen to drop off...

If the fuel pressure is holding fine then it would point at the metering head itself or duff injectors.

Not being able to add sufficent ignition advance could be an incorrectly timed exhaust cam, wrong dizzy bolt holes being used, though the fuelling system needs to be proven firstly

12. loach

loach Forum Member

I understand what you are saying , but wouldn't they know this as well ? It is a tried and tested conversion which they have carried out numerous times before. With all that the car has had done to it they were expecting for it to make good figures ! To put thing in prospective the car as run a pack A head with no other mods for the last 15 years it rolling roaded at 150 when fitted . I have now had a full conversion with everything under the sun been done to the car , and it's only making 152 !!!!!!!!!!! well peeed off !!!!!!!!!!

13. chrismc Forum Junkie

I'm sure they will get there with it.

Quite well down the line of fault diagnosis to changing a fuel pump though!

Keep us informed with any updates...

My jetta 2L 16v with a stock head and kr exhaust cams made 165bhp and 140lbs/ft so something is clearly amiss with yours..

14. loach

loach Forum Member

Thanks for your valued input , and will keep you posted .

15. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Loach, could you post your plot of whatever measurements where taken on that day.

16. loach

loach Forum Member

Sorry no , the car is 150 mile away . Either way solved or unsolved i will ask for a print out and post . Thanks for your interest .

17. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

You can PM this to me if you wish.

18. chrismc Forum Junkie

Have TSR made any progress yet?

Must be frustrating for you, as their engine conversions arent cheap[:^(]

19. Newey Forum Member

there is no progress as yet :( just waiting on the call.

20. loach

loach Forum Member

Phoned this morning , Rob was out and Tom was working on a car and unable to come to the phone . So waiting on a call , will post as soon as i know anything .