UK Kamei Mk1 Golf Replica - Prescott Hillclimb on page 53 !!!!!

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by fthaimike, Jun 5, 2005.

1. fthaimike Forum Addict

Hmmm might leave those then until much later in the plans to do.

One bit i couldnt get at was the waxy chunks inside the crossmember? that the front of the seat attaches too, but it looks ok in there anyway.

2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Yes, near impossible to get in the crossmemeber, even just to tidy the dust etc in there

3. fthaimike Forum Addict

Right next problem i have was that after giving the car a good wash i found water coming into the footwell so i checked the usual culprit (heater matrix) but that was fine:

[​IMG]

But then i found this leak:

[​IMG]

I think? but i might be wrong that this is the other side:(but above has rivets?)

[​IMG]

but then i remembered this:

[​IMG]

Soif water gets in where this single wiper has broken (it needs reinforcing) could it then come out of that hole in second pic?

4. Andy947 Forum Addict

That is clearly had a reinforcement plate welded in place, the rivits were likely just to hold it in place, then welded round the edge, that burned the paint off the inside and caused it to rust.

Need a lashing of jenolite and a good coat of paint on it.

5. fthaimike Forum Addict

Cheers Andy, yeah i remember it being repaired but is the water now getting there through the hole on the wiper?

Could i take the wiper off & put a plate on top & underneath the wiper hole & seal & pop rivet them together to strengthen the damaged piece? as i could do this myself.

Any of the stuff on here any good andy as i need to coat the floor anyway:

http://www.frost.co.uk/productList.asp?catID=63
    Edited by: fthaimike

6. I V - mk1 16v Forum Member

How much has all the tar stuff weighed do far then??

7. greg s Forum Member

And how much faster is the car round a track as a result?

8. fthaimike Forum Addict

Iv'e got one last section left to do before i get a final weight of all the tar (should be on friday).

greg i'd be surprised if it's on track for a while because of the amount of stuff i need/want to do 1st, i was reluctant to get 170 tax today for it as i was seriouslly thinking of SORN it but it's my emergency car if my runaround dies.

I'm debating on gettinga cage made up before getting the new rear panel now?

9. fthaimike Forum Addict

Right i just finished the last piece (rear passenger side) & weighedall of it up & that includes both rear passenger footwells, both front passenger footwells, bulkhead & the center tunnel & it comes too....

6kgs

Edit: pic added

[​IMG]

10. velly_16v_cab

velly_16v_cab Forum Junkie

do you think it wa worth it?

11. fthaimike Forum Addict

you felt 6kgs?...thats a 12lb baby :lol:

Lot more to go yet ;).

edit: that means i have removednearly 50kgs!!! [:D]from inside the car so far &that doesn't include the spare wheel, jack, centre console, lower dashboard, door cards & passenger seat & the weight of the twin lights i removed.

12. prof Forum Addict

shave your head, drive naked and get both your ears removed that'd help too

13. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

:lol:

Pleased I didn't bother stripping 'all' the tar off my floor if it's only going to save 6kgs :thumbup:

Keeps you occupied tho Mike. :p

14. fthaimike Forum Addict

:lol:to prof, yeah keeps me busy gary & when it's all added up it should make a difference in the end i hope ;).

Just undecided on which things to do over the next few months, if i get a cage it means i am safe to cut the doors out &add lightened glass but there's still the matter of the rear panel that needs sorting but with costs i might just get the front end fitted now while i have it but not sure on what paint style/typeto go for as i want it to be cheap but durable & not to rust or chip too easy (maybe extra stone/chip coat finish?)but aint bothered aboutthe finish as it's no show car.

15. fthaimike Forum Addict

Found out how the water was getting in-between the strenghtening plates for the clutch after trying what a few people said i noticed a piece of the tarliftednext tothe wiper bracket in the scuttle tray so i put a bright light inside the car & looked into the scuttle tray in darkness & could see a spot of light so picked at it & it got brighter so took a pic with the camera & you can see this strip of tar that is over the join which just happens to be directly over the top inside replacement plate for the clutch cable & water was going in through here & out around the rubber into the footwell.

[​IMG]

One question for you:

If i was toget a piece of the tar ihave been stripping from inside the car, could i melt this with the heat gun over this gap to seal it?

16. Carbs4ever Forum Member

Just use Tiger Seal.

17. ViCk Forum Member

Mike how about only using 3 wheel bolts instead of 4 per wheel. Might save a few grams :lol:

Nah, it's looking good mate, should feel a noticeable difference once it's all done.

18. fthaimike Forum Addict

I bunged the hole with some silicon for now in case i have to take the car out.

Those discs on the floor that was under the tar, well the one that i had a go at picking away the rubber crap before people said not to bother with them [:$]i have re-sealed over with liquid metal thats set rock hard & filled the edge around it nicely ready to be painted back over (i didn't actually lift the disc, just picked a little around it).

edit: that bracket for the clutch cable is fine on the outside, it's the inner one that has split at the top in the footwell & this opened the gap in the scuttle tray along the join, i am having it looked at this week as it just needs re-welding along the top just above the rubber bung, you can make out the piece that broke away on this earlier pic:

[​IMG]

i have brushed the weld down since this pic & it's just some surface rust but if you look above the rubber you can see th piece that has split away & curled itself just up behind the white plastic (i have flattened it back across since) & if you look you can see in this pic where this piece split up & left from the rubber & across right from it.

Highlighted here:

[​IMG]

19. fthaimike Forum Addict

Just an update.

Had the above part repaired & strengthened also welded from the scuttle tray area.
    Then sorted all the floor that needed doing & had that crack welded up & had it smoothed over & along where the drivers foot well meets the sill also had some strengthening.

Got the car an MOT & had notice to tell me the front braided brake line didn't have a clip & was missing on the (i think) suspension strut so thats the tie-wraps out.

Got the car home after some very heavy rain & noticed water everywhere so had to dry it all out & been checking for leaks.....so far found that i had to recover the door membranes so spent a good few hours doing it properly with some heavy duty tape & thicker membrane.

I then tried to work out where it had also come in from the back (car hasn't seen rain in 8 months & i have had stuff on & off since then) & knew there was some on top of the arch so i put a light up into the rear drivers side arch with the garage lights off & saw light!!! then put the lights back on & realized now that that that arch is bigger than the other side to accommodate the fuel filler pipe too & the light was coming through the captive nut which i think the rear seatbelt was attached & when removed you can see through it into the arch so this must have been where some water was coming through.

Next thing to check is the rear light clusters.

I also repaired the moving battery in the boot as someone had decided to use self tapping screws to hold down the battery tray [:x] , so this is now bolted down in 4 places & i then bolted one of those metal straps? (the ones with the holes along it & is plastic coated) over the top along the middle of battery & had to pull it down hard to get it to match up on the other side of the tray so after i couldn't get it to move at all [:D] .

Last edited: Apr 16, 2006
  20. fthaimike Forum Addict

I have taken the car out in the rain after sealing everything up & no leaks so that's that sorted.

Next thing on the cards was a camera mount so i went to a photography shop & thought bugger paying all that money & made me own:

Now don't laugh at the materials as it works ok :lol: :

I put two strong bits of timber either side of the head rest bars & screwed it all up tight with an extra piece in between them at the mount end & covered this with a piece of aluminum that is screwed in from underneath then has a bolt the right length to come up through it & screw into the camera.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So i popped out & made a quick video only to get back & realize the camera must have been on the wrong settings as all i could see was the dash & the outside was a glare (it was sunny) so next time i will set the camera for the outside (or up the frame rate to darken it?)DOH!!!
    Video didn't seem to jump about mind ;) :
    excuse the bad screen grab:
    [​IMG]
    So what do you think?