UK Kamei Mk1 Golf Replica - Prescott Hillclimb on page 53 !!!!!

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by fthaimike, Jun 5, 2005.

1. fthaimike Forum Addict

wont the thinners take any of the paint off?

yeah i accidentlly started digging around one of those discs, whats best to fill the edge back in with in case it starts to lift?

2. H8SV8S Forum Member

Not if you wipe it away fairly quickly. It'll only eat the paint if it's left there for too long... wear some rubber gloves too ;)

3. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I suppose I should stick to my original story on the other thread :p:

- start with Gunk or Brake Cleaner, then onto thinners.

Thiners won't take the primer under the glue off, since it's factory ?baked? paint - much more resilient than a DIY cellulose spray job.

4. fthaimike Forum Addict

OK cheers.

Just remembered that i have some engine degrease in the cupboard, i should have tried that to see how well it worked otherwise it's out with the thinners.....just gotta get someproper rubber gloves as i only have those latex ones [:$].

5. altern8 Forum Junkie

looking good so far kkep the updates comming [:D]

6. fthaimike Forum Addict

Done what you said Chris & heated up the glue with the gun then quickly wiped it with thinners then with a clean rag, i didnt like the waythinners steams mind with the heat :lol:.

The large circle is where the crack is (looks thicker than it is because of the paint that pealed away when it was done).

& the small circle there seems to be a small dent done possibly from below in the past, should i leave this or get it knocked out as i cant see any damage below it?

[​IMG]

7. H8SV8S Forum Member

If the dent hasn't damaged anything or made the primer or underbody sealant crack or peel, I'd just leave it alone.

Make sure you tip some of the rust killer under seat mount. You can vaccuum the excess crud out of there by attaching a paper tube to your hoover and bending it up under :p

Just pour some rust killer through the holes:

[​IMG]

8. fthaimike Forum Addict

do you get much rust in there then because i didnt notice any, just that elastic stuff?

9. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Super job :clap:

Once the adhesive (or the tar) gets too hot, it does start to want to burn, so just need to moderate the heat.

The dent in the floor could be from being jacked up aggressively.

It is worth putting a coat over that primer, much as you'd be loathed to. It's a bit thin, and takes little to have it rusting on you.

Edited by: Chris Eyre

10. H8SV8S Forum Member

Mine had a little bit of surface rust just at the welds. I pretty much lathered the whole floor in kill rust though, just to be safe!!
    Edited by: H8SV8S

11. fthaimike Forum Addict

So you put the kill rust on 1st over all that grey paint then the primer after that.

Does the primer spray on or brush?

Uh Chris i didn't heat it enough for the tar to burn just enough for the tar to get shiny but the metal can get warm& this was enough to make the water in the thinner smoke (steam)for a few seconds& just for you to know.....those round floor discs on mine are metal [:s].

12. H8SV8S Forum Member

You can apply primer with a brush - it won't go on as evenly or smoothly but it hardly matters on the floor pan.

Try and clean up the surface with a wire bursh where you can before applying the kill rust. After the product has dried, you can put the primer on :)

13. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

[:s] I'll check - I'm sure they're a bit soft tho.

14. Carbs4ever Forum Member

looks good! heat gun works wonders..

Car Builder Solutions sell new sound mat - very close to original - if you wanted to re do to the bulk head... works as a heat soak as well

she'll be a noisey beast! :)

15. fthaimike Forum Addict

Only said it Chris because i noticed when i was scraping that elastic stuff away it scratched the edge of it & i am sure it was shiny like metal.

Carbs4ever i aint putting anything back in :lol:.

16. fthaimike Forum Addict

Finished the rear one.....just the same to do on the other side now [xx(].

[​IMG]

edit: i couldn't find a grommet in work to fit that drain hole in the front footwell so i got a bolt the same diameter & popped it down through the hole with a washer either side & 2 nuts below for now in case i have to take it any where & its raining.
    Edited by: fthaimike

17. fthaimike Forum Addict

Ah sod it, a week is too long soi couldn't help but start the other side :lol:.

[​IMG]

edit: i had to drive the car out of the garage to turn it around, it felt & sounded like being sat in a tin can :lol:.
    Edited by: fthaimike

18. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

There are some small bits either side in the scuttle - you've probably seen them.

19. fthaimike Forum Addict

Can't remember ifi havelooked to be honest [:$].

You mean up in here?

[​IMG]

20. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

That's it - there's a patch on each side