whats this noise? with video

Discussion in '16-valve' started by G60KG, Feb 26, 2009.

1. jamez Forum Member

I think its more likely that its the con rod bearings you need to look at as these are subject to greater wear and this wear will cause play in the rod to crank bearing, set engine to tdc or 180 deg. from tdc , you can get a pair at a time, and the caps have to back to the same rod they came from and also the right way round, watch out for oil and bits of shell falling from the caps when you remove them, oil stings like hell when it gets in your eye, been there, done that.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  2. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

oops I was opening the 'main bearing' caps and not the 'big end' bearing caps [:$]

3. Mike_H Forum Addict

I've seen mains break up like that too. Ideally you want to check both sets though.

4. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

ABF fitted still sounds the same

I have fitted an abf in my corrado and it still sounds the same as the original video. I refuse to believe that I managed to source an equally sh*te engine as the original producing the same noise, anyone got any ideas??

Also getting oil light flashing and audible beeping but only if the car is revved more than 2k. If the car is left idling then there is no flashing oil light.

engine seems to rev quite freely otherwise

5. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

help anyone??

6. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Where did you get the engine from?

You may well be unlucky and ended up with another duff engine if its knocking and there is no oil pressure!

7. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

sambo you are like the grim reaper when it comes to diagnosing my engine troubles [xx(] Im going to run it without ancil belts again and see what happens with regards to the noise.

engine was from an E38 forum member, he said it ran well so Im still hoping i have not been conned as that will make me very angry....You wouldn't like me when I'm angry! ha ha

8. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry bud, not trying to get your spirits down

Its just the fact most engines we use for conversions have loads of miles under them and most have uknown histories if in scrapy

Couple that with fact sellers can be dishonest and you get recepy for disaster and beign riped off!

I do hope its somethiong else and not the engine bud

Have you reused your alternator, pas pump, if you have one, water pump etc?

Could be one of them causing racket

9. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

I have also bought abf from ed38 and my engine wasnt all it was advertised to be

Ment to have schrick cams in it but surprise surprice, NOPE, standard!

I made up by not paying for all other extra bits i got of him same time, but from now on i dont trust anyone but close mates!

10. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

I hope its not the engine, otherwise it was a waste of a couple of days and scraped knuckles/fingers etc... I got loads of extra bits with it including air con pump pas pump full wiring loom and ecu so will probably sell that stuff to raise some money.

11. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Sh*ter it is knackerd engine

I would demand my money back with interest![:x]

12. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

I found the noise!!

Its the pas pump making all that racket. I didnt check this with the old engine as the pully bolts were butchered. Now out of sheer frustration I cut the belt to the pas pump started it up and no more noise. To say that Im upset is an understatement.

I now have a low oil pressure warning light and beep when above 2k revs where as I didnt with the old engine.

The new engine had oil in it and I have not changed the oil or filter yet. Please can someone tell me the best course of action when diagnosing the low pressure problem.

P.S anyone got a pas pump for a 9a corrado or equivelent

13. Mike_H Forum Addict

Well, it sounds like you've got at least one decent engine, but it might not be the one in the car!

Suggest you start by ringing the seller, and having a calm discussion with him - ask when he last rang the engine, how long he rang it for, and if he checked for warning lights or anything. Did he rev it over 2k, or just run it on tickover (if he never drove the car).

I'll try to get round with an oil pressure gauge, so we can double check it (I've got another one). Meantime, I suggest you try swapping the wires around.

14. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

Im not going to contact the seller until I know for sure that it is fcked. I can live withit being oil pump etc... Also what can I expect from changing the wires around? just so I know what I am looking out for

15. Mike_H Forum Addict

If none of that works, it's time to whip the sump off for a look and check the oil pickup. Does the oil look ok, or old and horrible?

16. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

the oil didnt look that bad to be honest, so am I right in thinking if its not the pick up then its the oil pump, any way of testing the pump? also could it be anything to do with the oil filter?

17. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

what about fitting the oil pump from your `old` engine to try that ?

18. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Oil pressure gauge usually always tells the truth and alot about engines health

I think i may have a p/s pump from my last corrado, i'l let you know, you can have it for postage money if it helps at all

19. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

to Sambo: pas pump would be great let me know

to NigeP would the 9A pump fit the ABF?

20. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

er, I thought they were the same [:s]

Now you`ve asked, i`m not sure [:$]