wideband o2 setup?

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by alexisblades99, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

I saw the latvia guy too, but for another tenner, I`d rather buy from the UK.

I find the gaue easy to see out of the corner of my eye, the coloured LED`s round the outside of the gauge mean you can see when it goes lean/rich, without having to focus on the numbers.

2. turbotommy Forum Member

Is it easy to wire in then Nige???
    (very important lol)

3. alexisblades99 Forum Member

the latvian may have an american connection, thus avoiding import duty? anyway latvia's only just down the road and he'll ship to finland for free, from the uk it's an extra tenner plus 15 quid postage.

right on though, peripheral vision, the innovate doesn't have the led dial. could help the driver notice more quickly if something goes wrong. fuel pump fails at full throttle could this do one to the engine if it isn't switched off quickly enough?

4. s1m0n Forum Member

I've had good experiences with both the AEM & the innovate stuff, pretty accurate and easy to wire-in, program etc

5. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

yes mate, its only two wires to connect and you have to put the pins in the plug, took about 15minutes

6. alexisblades99 Forum Member

well i've gone for the innovate lc1 from the latvian. it doesn't have a visible dial effect but it does come with the software to capture data on the laptop which the aem doesn't as far as i can tell. the controller's separate from the dial too, so if i decide to change dials or whatever it's easier to do. should be with me by the end of next week, and i can have a play with it.

thanks for all the advice chaps :thumbup:

7. d3ggsy New Member

personally I`d have got a gauge, always handy to see how its going when driving. Too late now :lol:

8. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

True. Can see what going on, when it's happening.

9. alexisblades99 Forum Member

it does come with a gauge, but only a numeric digital readout. the aem kit came with an led 'dial' as well as the numeric readout, but no software for the laptop.

i'm hoping to mount the gauge fairly close to my field of view, i was even (stupidly perhaps) thinking it may be possible to integrate it into the dash clocks somehow.

10. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

there is software for the computer available for the AEM,

good luck trying to squeeze a dial in the gauge pod

11. alexisblades99 Forum Member

i was thinking of one day trying to use one of the original dash gauges to display afr. it's probably not something i'd actually be able to do though.

12. alexisblades99 Forum Member

arrived in the post yesterday. looks good, nice quality materials, good solid leads. i'm a little disappointed about the finish, i didn't expect to have to do any soldering to get it to work but it's not the end of the world. going to try and get it fitted today.

[​IMG]

has anyone got any tips for fitting these things? i'm a little confused about where to earth it to, they recommend straight to the engine block for a noise-free signal path but would the battery -ive not be a better idea? also the only place i have to mount the sensor in the exhaust is within a foot of the cast manifold, i can't put it any further back because the syncro downpipe comes encased in a metal heat-shield, and behind that the propshaft restricts access. will it be too hot there?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  13. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

not it should be fine there, it looks like a bosch lsu4 sensor.

looks a bit more difficult than my VEMS unit, try to mount the plug on the sensor somewhere where it wont see too much water

14. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Keep all earths together and yes they can go batt- i hadit wired like that for a while

Do not leave sensor in exhaust unpowered and run engine as it will ruin it

Do not plug/unplug terminator plugs whilst unit is powered up

15. alexisblades99 Forum Member

cool, cheers guys. i'm going to run a cable through to the batt -ive for the earths then.

16. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

The wires are left bare so you can terminate them into your installation. Any decent earth will do. Even inside the car. It makes it easier as gauge doesn't sit near the battery.

The programming terminal are just in the drivers footwell by the centre console.

17. alexisblades99 Forum Member

so i could just earth it to the chassis near where i mount the controller? i'm planning on putting it in the service booklet compartment.

18. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Yes. As long as paint has been cleaned of etc.

19. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

As above, just make sure earth is as good as possible and a thin smear of copper grease helps maintain good connection and keeps oxidation away

20. alexisblades99 Forum Member

super, cheers fellas. it's just about soldered up now, going to weld the boss into the downpipe tomorrow, then i can plumb it all in.