0 to 60 in a GTI 8v 2.0

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by emma3533, Jan 12, 2004.

1. Phil

Phil Forum Member

I wouldn't have a Mk3 tho' if it didn't have a VR6 in it. It just dosen't seem right revving the nads off a Mk3 valver.... it just sounds like it shouldn't be done! It's just not comfortable for me. The 8V I thought, did drive slow and I just would't entertain it! Sorry 8V owners! The VR seemed just right - plenty of power, no effort to get the power, and despite what people say about it being nose heavy (which i think is crap) it handle's very well on the right suspension. It's still no GTI though. That's what I have a MK2 for....... ;)[:D]

2. mark_vr6 Forum Member

Mk3 vr and mk2 gti - lucky sod - I do miss my mk2 [:^(]

Well said Phil........people slate the vr without going in one with the suspension sorted (which most people uprate on the golf anyway) but its not a gti like the mk1 or 2 as you say. :) You can feel the extra weight of the mk3 even in the vr until you extract a few more ponies IMHO. [:D]

3. S1MMA Forum Member

Ahh, but what you have to understand is that for those of us who are young and have zero no claims bonus, a VR6 is too expensive to insure. The 8v is slow, but at least its got a gti kit on it, decent brakes, and compared to a GL/Driver/CL/etc... it is still a hell of a lot better/faster, with more standard kit as well.

The 8v mk3 is good to insure for the exact reason: its slow. Which gives people with insurance problems access to a half decent car. Would u have a GL over an 8v? No. Would you have a VR6 over an 8v? yes.

As to the badge engineering question, I think that it was done on the mk4 quite obviously, but the mk3s? The mk4 2.0 didnt have the uprated suspension, and was easy to badge as a gti as there was no extra bodykit for the 1.8t. I think the 8v mk3 is a gti, with the brakes/suspension/bodykit/seats/etc... but in an insurance friendly slow package. Thats the reason I bought one.

Doesnt seem so bad when you look at it that way. I didnt buy one over a 16v/VR6, I bought one over a driver/gl/cl/etc....

4. Phil

Phil Forum Member

Nice One mate. :) Good response. :clap:

5. Golf_BlokeMK2 Forum Member

I hate to take a leak on everyones chips here with the mk3 but here goes

[​IMG]

The list is in :

ins grp/year/0-60/topspd/bhp/price/funny comments

I like the mk3 comment :)

6. Jeff Forum Junkie

edit, ignore me.
    Edited by: Jeff

7. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

Its not a weight problem but a power problem - now thats sortable! MKIIs indeed - Nice car - Yes, fast -Yes but not as half as comfy as a MKIII!In saying that I never have should have sold my Jetta! [:^(]

8. mark_vr6 Forum Member

Golfblokemk2 : You can quote 0-60 times till the cows come home but they have little meaning in many situations (ie. I have a test of the mk3 that breaks 9 secs to 60 from VW Mag - so what). In gear is where you feel it most. Also, I could not get over 120 when my mk2 8v was standard yet alone do 125!

If the point your trying to make is mk3's are slow, not gti's etc etc, a stnd mk2 8v is slightly quicker than the mk3 8v in my experience (big deal - not much) it just 'feels' more responsive to drive. See SIMMA's & G60Dub's comments for why all people dont drive mk2's ;)

9. mark_vr6 Forum Member

PS - Im bored and could give a rats ass about mk2 vs mk3 but sorry to continue this thread [:D] ;)

10. Golf_BlokeMK2 Forum Member

So why bother...Schnoooogens

Also its not my fault if your Mk2 couldnt get the 125..mine can ;)

And if you ever raced two standard mkii and mk3 youd see the massive difference...anyway im bored and coundnt give a rats ass about this but sorry to continue this thread