2 litre 16v rebuild

Discussion in '16-valve' started by GVK, Feb 28, 2006.

1. chrismc Forum Junkie

Be prepared for 20-22MPG with the ITBs Gary...If/when :)

Sure that will all go hand in hand with (more) Schricks if & when the time is right..

268/276 Combo good for max power @ 7300, holding to 7650 in B6...

Would be ideal on lightened/balanced & fettled bottom end which you can rev hard with confidence. Extra Compression will work in your favour too....

Only downside is the financial burden to make the swap [:s]

Sure this new motor will make for a stronger/swifter GVK, even on trusty K-Jet & KR exhaust cams ;) :)

Looking forward to seeing how it comes on!!!

*Newsflash* Ive finally invested in some track rubber for B6!! :clap: 195/50/15 R888's at a good price. Track work should be fun this year!! [:D]

2. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Mart,sounds good and if the imbalance is more or less eliminated it should save on bearing wear that can be a problem with knife-edged cranks. Excellent.

Ian, it all sounds fancy... but as long as the customs don't sting me too hard, the JE pistons shouldn't cost me as much as a set of 'normal' 9A pistons from an engine reconditioner here in UK :)

Same goes for the steel rods, you'd fit ARP bolts (100-130) to the normal rods , but these rods are about 200 WITH ARP bolts. So yeh, it's costing a few quid but still cheaper than a transplant. Hopefully!

Well thats if they have any in stock. [:$] :lol:

3. GVK

Chris, good news on the track rubber you won't look back :p I've got a set of 888s I still haven't fitted to the wheels so I can't offer any input what they're like yet.

That's the plan.

As I say, this year will be still running on k-jet, I still want to be able to afford to do track days as that's the whole point of it all. :thumbup:
    Edited by: GVK

4. chrismc Forum Junkie

Should be out @ Combe for a shakedown on the Scooby day (10/04) :) Got to refit flywheel/box later [:$]

Are you looking to Dowel your flywheel before it all goes back together? Simple, piece-of-mind mod worth considering :)

Avoids potential heart failure for yourself if it all goes poo Shaped too [:$]

5. ianb Forum Member

Good bit of advice there Chris

Gary I would highly recommend the extra dowells on the flywheel especially if later you increase 'top' end power especially as it's all apart.
    I expect you will be getting very healthy torque figures with this spec anyway puuting more strain on those pesky bolts.

Look forward to seeing the end result

Ian

6. e12_mat Forum Member

Been looking at the scat rods for my 20v and i didnt think they had the hole to supply the wrist pins with oil? or is this on an issue on 1.8t?

That engine is going something special:), i know how your feeling with all the gasket cost thats whats doing me in at the mo.

7. GVK

Toga list rods for the 1.8T , link on the last page.

IPP haven't got back to me yet to see if they've any for mine. :(

Chris/Ian - I'll have a look at the flywheel when it's apart, what material did you use, or did you use more of the stock type dowels?
    Edited by: GVK

8. corradophil Forum Member

Sounds like its going to be a very good set up. Hmmm 268/276 schricks, hope you have more luck this time!

When you were trying them in yours a couple of years ago, I was also trying a set and had similar results to you. Now sticking with KR spec cams.

9. GVK

I remember that Phil, I will probably go for a lesser cam than the Schricks TBH.

10. chrismc Forum Junkie

Some milder Schricks may be a compromise...260s or a pair of 268s?

A lighter/balanced 2L+ engine is going to want to rev & i've always thought KR cams run out of puff just that bit too soon on a 2L (although performance figs from Brunters tell a different story[:$] ) Not sure how Ians/Grahams cars seem to like the schricks whereas yours didnt get on with them [:s]

Worth compromising a little low end torque for some more top end fizz IMO, especially when you have an 8v F.D so its gonna be easier to keep on the boil :)

With the flywheel dowels, olly just used some O.E style roll pins, with Flywheel & pressure plate drilled to give an interference fit. Car now has x6 dowels instead of 2 ;)

As a footnote to Brunters, with my new Steve Greenald map, B6 will Vmax at a R.A indicated 141mph. Bit of a step up from the 132.9 @ Brunters :)
    Edited by: chrismc

11. GVK

I've been looking at the Cat cam grinds :lol: (cheaper than Schrick, but still a nice quality cam) :)

Sounds as though the Greenald map did the trick with your car tho. :thumbup:

12. chrismc Forum Junkie

ah yes...Cat Cams....

Mr Brockbank can advise/do-a-deal no doubt :)

13. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

Also have a look at crespo cams mate. They do a few grinds from mild to mad!!
    These are what I have and the quality is spot on. And best of all, only 200 sobs for a pair!

14. H8SV8S Forum Member

Coming along great Gary :clap:

15. altern8 Forum Junkie

Sounds like you have done your reasearch :) where did you get a pricce for the JE pistons from ?

16. GVK

Craig , there's a few places in the USA that do them, I'm dealing with http://www.importperformanceparts.net There's also Cox import, but they don't accept card payments over the phone from non US countries.

17. mk1. Forum Junkie

spotted some on ebay last week with free postage,dont know how this price compares to yours gary?mines starting to use a bit of oil,will do a cyl leakage test when I get the time so in 2 minds to rebuild or source a low mileage engine http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd= 1,1&item=8043065426&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

18. rradogolfman Forum Member

good to see this all shaping up Gary :clap:
    gonna be one hell of a motor ;)

more rods here Gary,,

click me please
    Edited by: rradogolfman

19. ianb Forum Member

There are some blimminn good products from the States.

With the likes of EIP and ECS there's some good products for the MK2.

I've source many of my bits recently from the US mostly Neuspeed and tghe quality and fit are excellent.

The mapping done by APR recently has really improved the original map.

I reckon you'll love some extra duration for that extra oomph at the top Gary. Once the bottom end is built and balanced for a nice smooth revvy unit the cams will compliment it.It also gives greater flexibility on track holding higher RPM when needed.
    You don't necessary need to lose torque as my old chariot proved good torque and good top end zing on K jet. It did have that 'thing' fitted though.

If not TB's I have a fettled Kjet metering head in my garage off a very quick 16v with a new airbox..all ready to go

Ian

20. GVK

That's cheap [:^(]