24/07/14 Toyotec's 315PS WOLF R. What's next? See Pg10?

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Toyotec, Jan 30, 2007.

1. smillsey Forum Member

1.9mm metal head gasket for 16vT conversion on ABF

Hi again toyo,

I can find the 1.9mm anywhere, do you have the part numbers on the ones you used in your ABF conversion as elring can only give me part no. for 1.75mm max for the ABF engine.

regards, Scott

2. nass Forum Member

Hi Eddy

Very nice set up man.
    Iv'e been busy will give you a shout very soon and meet up keep up the good work

Nas

3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

I guess it is time for a few updates.

Turbo manifold updates.
    My last manifold design worked well and positioned the turbo exactly where I wanted it.
    Initial drive assessments indicated that the EGT temperatures, where much lower on this unit and the engine character would have appeared to benefit from more calibration enhancements. In order to prove the robustness of this new hardware set, the car was driven into work. So out came the laptop and sniffing equipment. However during calibration development, problems started to occur to this new hardware set. The manifold stated to leak near the collector. On the way to base this leak turned into a blast, then a lot of noise! The turbo flange had broken right off the collector. Manifold off and it was repaired only to cracking again on its second voyage. It was noticed though that the area where the breakages occurred seemed to be in the manifold collector and this particular design, this area would contain the greatest heat flux (energy of heat and mass flow). After a discussion with my local fabricator, eaton Mk2, the manifold was patched up and given to a good friend and professional fabricator of mine, who then decided on the appropriate material thickness.
    After explaining my experiences and vehicle application, steam pipe, same ones used on my last log manifold, was used and cut to form the shape of the first prototype tube part.
    [​IMG]
    There were even improvements of the runs on cylinders 2 and 3 while still retaining the original turbo position.
    [​IMG]
    The unit was then ceramic coated. This was reunited with the huffer.
    [​IMG]
    After 700miles including lots of hard development time and validation, the system has been leak and crack free so far.

Injector updates.
    The 440cc jobs worked well when the car was limited to the log manifold set-up.
    As my quest for a faster response vehicle grew and various iterations of hardware updates were fulfilled, the AFR/λ targets required were not being met by the 440cc jobs without breaching duty time > 95%. With these narrow spray injectors there was a lot of port separator wetting which leads to the occasion pop on lift off. Prior to the turbo manifold reinstallation, and to cure the problem, Scott at USRT was contacted directly. After once again explaining my application, we came up with 630 Siemens Deka jobs. These injectors had wider spray cone and will spray more direct on the intake valve and should reduce the wall separation wetting and popping on lift off.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Part of the development work described earlier, was recalibration for larger injectors and a study to determine which λ at WOT was best for max torque for this bespoke motor. Now target AFRs can be achieved at max 83%. Even on stacked gaskets the vehicle can be pushed to 20psi on this particular turbo with no problems.

MS Launch control and flat shift.
    As the car was to be run on the drag strip, it was decided to install launch control functionality to aid the 1WD Mk4 gearbox currently fitted. So the ECU was opened up and a launch control circuit was installed internally. The arming and clutch switches were then fitted to the car.
    Here is a photo of the clutch switch used a.k.a digifant 2 WOT switch.
    [​IMG]
    Setpoints were written to the Megatune interface and tested for operation. Launch control and flat shift now works! I had hoped that specific settings would have been tested this week at Santapod but encounted this...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] maybe next time.

My feelings about progress so far.
    I am very happy the vehicles character. On the road and even at a "low" 10psi boost setting, WOLF R can keep up with most. At my "high" 18psi setting it can become a bit of an animal as it snarls past anything. For regular road use 10psi or even 7psi with (boost controller off) is more than enough.
    As it stands now the WOLF R can out accelerate my old EVO 3 when on the run. Still not the best traction from standstill due to 1WD but it will quickly catch up.
    When driving in mixed conditions, but not really at WOT, my MPGs are as high as 34mpg. I kid you not! Very difficult when there is the constant thought of prodding the throttle, only for the car to become very alive post 3500rpm.
    So far the boost response is:
    7psi full boost from 3200rpm to 7300 rev limit.
    10psi full boost from 3500 to 7300 rev limit
    20 psi from 4000 to 5900rpm then 17psi to 6500 15ish at 7300rpm.

WOLF R Today.
    [​IMG]

Future work.
    Test on dry sprint track
    Bodywork.
    More suspension
    LSD.
    Brake updates.
    New engine (the real deal)
    New turbo

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  4. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

amazing... i hear the car is at work today. ive got a day off, otherwise id have asked to have a look under the bonnet aghain

5. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

unless it has changed since last week I had a short passenger ride in the WOLF R

got to be the fastest thing I've ever been in.. I want that setup in my mk2!!!

cheers for opening my eyes to the world of huff'd vw's :-)

6. bens_cab Forum Junkie

i followed eddie out of santa pod for a few miles then stopped for fuel when he appeared again ot was flying past like an animal sounds the tits eddie i would have tried to keep up but my co pilot was asleep

good to see you yesterday thanks for the upgrade info

7. infinity

infinity Forum Member

awesome Eddie, love the vids

8. Toyotec

A tad more refined on the calibration front, since you last rode in it. Had on R888s for Santa pod.

9. Toyotec

Should hear it when it is in "nutter" mode ( 18psi high boost)

10. Toyotec

All its got is the same engine and a power coated bit. :lol: . They do work more as a team though;) .

11. TurbTech Forum Junkie

Looking good Eddie! Maybe you can put all of this development towards my engine one day ;) ;) :lol:

12. Toyotec

Pop round one day. Will carry you out for a blast. Pampers optional :lol:

13. TurbTech Forum Junkie

Yeah would love to some time soon, even though i don't need any more encouragment to spend more money on the car! Bet its great fun in the rain, and i thought mine was bad :lol:

14. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Very nice set up you got there toyo!

I always fancied properly sorted turboed valver especially 2.0l, turboed valvers sound awesome

Now i'v seen your exh manifold it has prompted me to start looking for simmilar manifold for my turbo, need one of those in my life!

15. VWralley Forum Member

how is the MS launch control working for ya?

16. Toyotec

It is OK. I need some development time to find the optimum settings for various surfaces, tires and switch position.

17. VWralley Forum Member

but as far as the ecu setup/wiring it was pretty straightforward an seems to work pretty reliable?

reason i ask is we are about to set it up on a mk2 rally car an just wondering if you ran into any issues

18. Dan. Forum Member

Looks like a very nice set up / engine.

what id like is a complete big list of all bits needed to build one, infact there should be a section on building project engines along side the normal engine section

got basic understanding of engine and how it all works, am good with hands at building things and spanners, just dont know how you boys match certain parts to gether and make them work (techie knowledge from being in the engine business?).

id love all bits to be listed in one big page pt no.s and description as a kit list. Id then be brave enought to build something like this, as im sure a few other would too who like me havent got the force with in them

Thats if the guys who know how would be happy to share what secret parts fitted to engines and any tips for buiding it [:D]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  19. Toyotec

Nothing is hard if you have the know how.
    You need some addtional circuits built into the ECU and then extra vehicle hardware to trigger this function.
    Reliable? Well when I arm the switch, press the clutch and floor the throttle it is very repeatable to my setpionts.
    No issues so far. As already said will validate time permitting.

20. Toyotec

The part list for this vehicle, even though simple in apparance, is fairly extensive and is specific to my targets and driving style.