'90 2l 16v(ABF) mk2 (restoration page9, going megasquirt), mk5 ed30

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by beetie, Apr 7, 2007.

1. beetie

beetie Forum Member

yeah, thats what i'm now doing.

hopefully picking up another at the weekend.

have ordered new engine mounts (1.3 solid gearbox, and most expensive rear) as recommended by rubjonny numerous times, including a solid mount from duff.

also ordered some more headbolts,
    tensioner,
    head gasket,
    and other odds and sods.

will put the 'man in the shed' head onto the new block (more than likely an to be ABF).

will update when i get going again. can't wait to be honest. the car is looking sad at the minute, with one flat tyre, no lower chin spoiler and half an engine[:^(]

2. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

Lots of effort but not a lot of luck at the moment :( , keep going mate, all be worth it in the end.

3. beetie

beetie Forum Member

i hope so.
    should still be up at around 170 stealth bhp. just not as revvy.

got ben on the case for some parts:thumbup:

4. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

He needs keeping busy, or he'll end up doing the next crazy thing to that S2 or pimping his lpg Range rover!:lol:

5. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

what are you going to do with the bits of the old one? shame to bin them after you spent all that money.

i could probably borrow a bore micrometer from work if its any use.

6. Adam_16v Forum Member

Car looks great, nice to see you've kept the original look which is always best.

I though my car was a project until I read threads like this, mine was a walk in the park lol

7. beetie

beetie Forum Member

well i've now picked up a another engine, an ABF.

i'm going to rip the head off and put the p&p one on.

but the car is really testing me now. yes more problems.

water in the boot. a f"%king leak, which i think is coming from the aerial.
    after working in the dark tonight, trying to put some silicon under it. i was tightening the nut back up when it was doing the horrible thing of suddenly going loose every few turns[:x]

i now need to get a new aerial as this one is very loose. i hope it doesn't rain too much tonight and tommorow, so i can get to GSF after work and get a new one.

i'm losing the love for this golf[:^(]

8. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

check the rear light foam gaskets and the seams on the rear suspension turret

9. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

thats cos you have never miss a beat rice rocket that you can jump in at anytime,m and you havent had a good drive in your golf for ages!

I know how this feels the auto is getting on my tits and i keep borrowing the mrs' fiesta for something better to drive[:s]

10. beetie

beetie Forum Member

managed to get a new aerial and it's now fitted. hope it was the only leak.

was definately from the roof as the headlining is peeling due to getting wet. hopefully i can stick it back down, otherwise it's try and find a new one (i have a pic, i'll try and post it later.)

started to strip and clean the block ready for painting. should be painted by saturday. might even have the other head on it by then.

11. gillm

gillm ***** User

man that car is giving you so much grief fair play for sticking with it . when i was doing my engine swap in my mk1 it was doing my head in . soo many bits were shot and i nearly threw the towel in .

you will be chuffed as nuts when the thing fires up again .

12. beetie

beetie Forum Member

the peeling headlining.

it should stick back down (fingers crossed)
    [​IMG]

13. Blue MK2 Forum Member

good project. shame about the engine problem.

That headliner will not stick back permanently. A tiny bit of heat and it will peel back off again.

Have it retrimmed or stuck back down by your local retrimmer. They stock the strong stuff. Do it once!

14. beetie

beetie Forum Member

so it all starts again.

i started to strip down the ABF that i bought.

all i needed to do was to take off the oil cooler, knock sensors, breather pipe and the cylinder head. also the flywheel and clutch.
    once done i gave the flakey paint a good scrape to remove it. then washed the block using a steam cleaner.

then i gave it a quick paint up using mart's(hotgolfs) tip, of putting the paint tin in some warm water to make it runnier.

it definately went on easier.:thumbup:
    [​IMG]

the bores look good. with the original hone marks still visible.[:D]
    [​IMG]

the 'man in the shed' (9a)head was then bolted on top of a new metal ABF headgasket, using new head bolts (from vw).

the breather pipe, was put back on. aswell as the rocker cover (for the head used) and the exhaust manifold.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

unfortunately i had to stop here as i had ordered a new cambelt tensioner but forgot about the actual cambelt itself[:$]

i also need to get the old engine out so that i can strip it of it's ancilleries to use on this one.

basically i'm left with only a weekends worth of work:thumbup: , plus fixing the headlining.

oh and then finding a replacement wheel for the one that is buckled.

sorry for the dodgey phone camera pics

15. beetie

beetie Forum Member

got back from work today (work on a saturday[8(] ) and did a couple of hours work on the engine.

started off by rumaging around the engine bay removing the coolant parts and the bracketry for the pas pump.

then i fitted it all to the ABF, along with the inlet manifold. (dodgy phone pic)
    [​IMG]

still got to remove the oil cooler stuff and fit that. might even do it tomorrow.

16. beetie

beetie Forum Member

yesterday and today i got the engine in.
    man it was cold work[eek]

i had to drag it up the sloped driveway to the car. thae plastic guard helped loads:lol:

remove the old block and gearbox from the car and then put the gearbox and mount brackets onto the new engine.

manouvered the engine onto a coulpe of trolley jacks and in it was squeezed onto the new mounts all round (1.3 gearbox, g60/16v rear, and duffs solid front)

still got to get the driveshafts mated to the gearbox, find a missing hoseclip, pick up and put on a new cambelt and oil filter. then feed the engine some coolant and oil, and fire it up once it has good oil pressure.:thumbup:

still can't find another bbs ra alloy. so, if you have a spare 0ne then let me know.
    this is what will hold me up now from driving it[:^(]
    i don't want to put the rs's on in this weather, but i could put the space saver on the rear (won't fit over the front 280mm brakes) for the ultimate ghetto look[xx(]

17. beetie

beetie Forum Member

18. beetie

beetie Forum Member

got it back and got on with it

190 later and the car is now back but at my brothers house.

the wheel arch is now coming off and the inner cv joint is knackered[:x]
    [​IMG]

one knackered inner CV
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

first thing to do was to get the cambelt on so the timing marks were lined up on the head
    [​IMG]

and i found TDC by placing the dipstick down sparkplug hole no.1.:thumbup:
    [​IMG]

place the belt on tightly round the pulleys leaving the slack tensioner side.

tighten the tensioner bolt up slightly and then turned the tensioner to put the correct amount of tension on the belt.

once satisfied withe the tension i tightened the bolt fully

checked the marks and then turned the engine over a couple of cycles by hand via the 19mm crank bolt to check for any interference and to check the timing marks would still line up. which they did:thumbup:
    the 19mm bolt
    [​IMG]

put on the ABF cambelt cover (the 9A one won't fit as it is now a tall block)
    and put on the pulleys and ancllary belts. this is when i noticed another thing was damaged.
    [​IMG]

luckily just the bolt for the belt tension. i found a replacement and added the tension to the belt.
    the banana bolt
    [​IMG]

i connected up all the remaining wires and coolant hoses and found that the coolant sensor terminal was broken but thankfully the one in the ABF head was the same. so i replaced it with that one.

after reading marts (hotgolfs) threead i went for the 2000yr polo gti filter as it is much smaller:thumbup: and then i fitted the mocal oil cooler properly with some brackets that i managed to 'acquire' from work
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i added the oil and coolant and the car is so close to being done

i still need another ra alloy but i might just use 2 steel wheels on the back for now (they won't clear the 280mm brakes on the front).

and i need to fix that inner cv which i will be doing once i've collected the part on saturday. then connect up the driveshafts.:thumbup:

i also noticed that there is still water getting into the boot so i will add some silicon to the rear lights to eliminate them from the equation. i did also spot this around the rear window.
    [​IMG]
    so i might be ordering a new seal and checking the spoiler mounting holes

anyway one very nearly finished ABF
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
  19. jimmy123 Forum Member

i would check the sunroof drains to make sure they are not blocked if you have water coming in through there

20. harryc Forum Member

Nice one can't wait to see this up and running!