'90 2l 16v(ABF) mk2 (restoration page9, going megasquirt), mk5 ed30

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by beetie, Apr 7, 2007.

1. beetie

beetie Forum Member

well it's been a long time coming but it is now a car again.

everything is now working as it should after nearly 2yrs of hassle.

i managed to put all the stereo back in after a year, due to removing it for the nurburgring trip and then having the 'problems' it was left out.
    stereo now sounds good
    [​IMG]

while i rewired the aerial i took the dash fascia off as it was well and truly battered and letting the car down. plus most of the screw holes were smashed, so was hanging on.
    [​IMG]

replaced with a good solid non broken fascia.
    [​IMG]

and that left one thing left to finish off after collecting it yesterday. can you tell what it was.
    [​IMG]

yep it now has a headlining again. just needs a quick wipe over.

car still needs a good wash though.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

gave the engine a quick clean as it's still working. plus it's feeling as quick as ever:thumbup:
    [​IMG]

roll on the show season[:D]

then i will get on with refurbing a rear beam:thumbup:

Last edited: May 24, 2009
  2. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

I'll keep my eye on this, planning to do this myself.:)

3. beetie

beetie Forum Member

now it's all done and after 5 or 6 years of ownership i'm having thoughts of selling[:^(]

would be gutted, but i'm thinking of moving it on and praying it doesn't get wrecked. loads of people have said they want my car but when push comes to shove will they live up to it.

maybe i might just find out. i'm still undecided but i'm swaying more to the 'sell it' side

4. nealey Forum Junkie

i should imagine if you were to sell that it would go to an enthuasiast who would look after it, it obvious its had a lot of time and money spent on it and i should imagine the sale price will reflect it

What you looking at replacing it with?

5. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

just to settle an argument from monday night, is your car oak green??? nealey thinks its black....

dont sell it, its a great car in great condition

6. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Its black.

7. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

i see this car every day.. im sure its green! thats it im looking on the way home!

8. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

from the 1st post it looks black [:s] [:s] [:$]

9. beetie

beetie Forum Member

it's green

not really it's black (resprayed in LR9V, not the black it used to be LA9V)

10. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

Did you ever get teh ABF / P&P head on the Dyno ? Wondered how much it gave...

11. nealey Forum Junkie

Alan i hate to say i told you so but well.... I told you so! :lol: :lol:

12. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

:lol: My money was on black!

13. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

arghh i was sure its oak green.... you dont have two of them do you??

14. beetie

beetie Forum Member

no not yet nige but will do soon enough to make sure all is upto full power and reliability etc

and no i don't have 2. you're just colour blind alan:p

15. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

i must have seen that car on the way to work hundreds of times over the last 3 years and now i find out it thought it is a different colour to what i thought it was! feck

16. beetie

beetie Forum Member

thought i'd do a quick update as i haven't done one in a while.

found some pics of the rs alloy refurb proceedure so here they are:

when i bought them
    [​IMG]

rs's have nuts on the back of the bolts being 3 picece, whereas the rm's (2piece have the bolts winding into the barrel.
    so with these you need to get a spanner/socket onto the back whilst undoing the front.
    [​IMG]

i undone the bolts in a cross pattern to remove pressue evenly (don't know if you have to do this, but they are expensive and i wasn't going to take any chances)

once the bolts a re undone the silicon will be holding the pieces together so grab a knife and cut it out
    [​IMG]

then bash the rim off with a rubber mallet
    [​IMG]

then do the same for the centre.

1 done, 3 more to go
    [​IMG]

all done ready to go off for finishing.
    -outers to pureklas for polishing
    -centres and barrels to a friend at leicester enamels for pwder coating, after i had removed all the paint using nitromors. i used nitromors as there was no danger of damage like blasting could do.
    [​IMG]

i got some new bolts and nuts from http://www.titanium-touch.de/shop/

once all back i set about assembling them using loctite on all the bolts. torque them up in a cross pattern to 22-24lb ft (for rs's) for info rm's are to 14-18lb ft

then add a bead of high modulus sealant to the joint pushed in with a wet finger[:$] . leave for 24hrs then add a thicker bead over the top.
    the sealant used is critical as it needs to bond with the rim and have good flex
    it took me 2 attempts as the 1st sealant just didn't work.
    the one that did was this bondflex from rs http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=3410955

all done
    [​IMG]

with black centres
    [​IMG]

since then i have also had the ra's refurbed as they were getting a little tatty.

i had them blasted at a local farm who wrecked them by using sand[:x] but now powdered they are ok

powdered by my friend again in the lightest, brightest gloss silver he had.
    [​IMG]

he had done a great job but i was not happy with the colour as soon as i had seen them. they looked like primer grey. putting them, on my car didn't change my mind either.

a new lad at work (who is begging me to sell him my golf) said he knew a guy at alloy wheel repairs in melton and could get mates rates and that they would also remove and refit the tyres, blast and powder within the price. also that they have got bright metallic chrome powder:thumbup:
    http://www.alloywheelrepair.co.uk/

lets say i'm more than happy with the results
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  17. beetie

beetie Forum Member

still got a few more things i need to do.

-get a new connector for the radiator fan, it has always been 2 spade connectors and i think it's not a very good connection. my plan is to hopefulky find a breaker and cut the connector off back a bit along the wire a solder it on to my wires.

-from a breaker find a few of the clips that hold the trim up at the back of the roof lining (top of the boot hatch) as mines sagging as the middle ones are broken.

-sort out the troublesome drivers side remote central locking solenoid (new one has been ordered)

-finally get down stealth for a set up on this engine.

also i've just bought my first house so i'll be moving soon. there's a garage (all be it a crappy wooden one) and a massively long driveway with a car port. oh and the house is alright too:p

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  18. nealey Forum Junkie

Nice to see you have kept it, the clips you need are they the rectangular white ones? I may have some but will have to double check, if ive got them you can have them, how many do you need?

19. beetie

beetie Forum Member

yeah those little white ones for the trim that runs across the car boot opening. think i need 3 of them thanks mate.:thumbup:

20. nealey Forum Junkie

Just thought as well i think the fan switch has a small connector loom that joins to the main loom so you could just get that piece of the loom instead of cutting and soldering, it will be much easier