About time too - GVK head + cams job!

Discussion in '16-valve' started by GVK, Jun 18, 2004.

1. ianb Forum Member

Matt miles and a new exhaust me thinks

As for the Schricks..........they do work.....I love them

Track or road

Ian

2. ianb Forum Member

Exhaust choice is a big big factor on 16v's

Made a big difference on my car

Remember Remus/Sebring are used by F1 teams.......speaks for itself.

Ian

3. mk1. Forum Junkie

yep been there,same thing happened to me [:s] ive not got round to looking at the problem yet but will get there in the end [:$]

4. corradophil Forum Member

Just been out in a mates 16v Golf Mk2, its got a remus exhaust, otherwise standard KR lump.
    Obviously his car is lighter than my Corrado, but its faster and mine has Schricks, Magnex, flowed head and manifolds, lightened flywheel & new injectors. Its just not fair.
    On my local test track ;) there is a straight where from a standstill I could get 80MPH in my Mk1 1.6 GTI, my Mk2 8V was always just under that and my Corrado with all these mods will only do the same.
    I'm getting tempted by an Audi A4 2.8 quattro at the moment, maybe its time to grow up.

5. alexc Forum Member

Just read this monster thread and I'm gutted for you Gary, a Vernier pully might help a bit but to be honest the torque gain won't be enough to make it what it was.

On the 9a that's going into the missus' car I've gone for a pair of 264 inlet & 265 exhaust cams, they're regrinds so didn't cost allot but I've been recommended these profiles by a friend who's an engineer as v.good allround fast road profiles.

Increasing & fine tuning the fueling accross the rev-range is useful hence the fully mapable K-Star I've kept from my previous 16v engine. They don't do allot on the standard engines but the 5th injector and timing/fuel adjustment really helps with a modified engine.

Cams can make or break the engine, it's just a case of trying them out, unfortunely this can be an expensive exercise. [xx(]

6. matt d Forum Member

A lot of different ideas which is great but Gary drove Ians car and that's what made him go for the cams just as much as the figures on paper.

7. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

You seem to forget me old mild tuned Jetta ran well on them and its slide throttle for many years.. Its not all about peak bhp, but the delivery of it to.. [:D]

8. badger5

Another reason for Gary to maybe let TSR fiddle with his to get the same results as Ian...
    Its not like they have'nt done the odd one or two is it.. so near. Shame to give up when money has been spent.

re the Magnex.. The rear box on the one I saw was simply hideous. Extremely small pipework internally, and labyrinth passage via baffle slits before it exited in a large pipe. It looks big from the outside, but internally I would'nt put one on a 1.3 engine let alone a tuned 16v. 2.5" zorst is what worked very well on mine. 2" is smaller than stock 16V

9. badger5

For reference/info here are a couple of plots of DTH, cam'd 16v motors:-

Original dyno (a few years ago)Golf Mk2 16v Rally car, running Kent Rally cams (278?) on DTH throttles, DTA etc etc etc

RobT on his Ibiza has a very similar (slightly higher) plot when he first changed from ABF injection to DTH t'bodies...(276 schricks) - Last run earlier this year @ Stealth was 196bhp & more torque spread than K-Jets, which matched his local RR's results on a well used engine. New fresh engine on the way for the pasty wagen which should be good.

[​IMG]

One old Jetta one from splitties (cranes, 260/270) @ wheels figures
    [​IMG]
    Edited by: badger-bill

10. drew Forum Member

Wow. Just read through all of that and learn't a few things too!

Cheers,

Drew.

11. madmk4 Forum Member

Thats why i said to smooth out, nothing about bigger figures Bill ;)

12. prof Forum Addict

bill was the slide throttle still k-jet? or DTA fuelled

13. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Didn't drive it Matt, but Ian took me for a spin in the car when we were at Combe last year, it was as tractable as mine 'was' but let rip @ higher rpm.

Not really got the money to start spending even more to make the cams work TBH[xx(]

14. Sexy16v Forum Member

You must be so frustrated

15. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Interesting read this - shame its not gone right straight away for you Gary, it takes time.

IMO there's nothing wrong with what you have but that its not setup right - schricks do work as do TB's but not if their not mapped / setup right.

Not sure I totally subscribe to the exhaust 'cause' - a couple years back when I first fitted mt TB's, my car made 217hp on a pair of 276's fitted with a std camwheel (only 1 degree out from schrick specs) and a std exhaust manifold and a home built 2 box 2.5" system. Nothing particularly fancy or 'wink wink'.

Before TB's, 180hp - increase 37hp - EXACTLY same as what Bill got with his Jetta when switched from Kjet to TB's.

There is plenty of data out there that shows that these mods work if applied correctly.

Stick at it.

Cheers

Rob

16. Sexy16v Forum Member

I hope you haven't been pulling your hair out over this though Gary - oh no - sorry - you didn't have any to start with!!!!!!!!!

;) ;) :p [:D] :lol:

17. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Shut it cheeky! :lol:

18. badger5

DTA'd & electronic injected... same as I ran when I changed to the DTH throttles

19. badger5

Been there to mate...
    Loadsa work to pocket out pistons for larger lift 300 degree crane cams, fitted em, dyno'd em... and hated em.. :( Waste of time, money and effort. One step backwards in exactly the same manner you fine now m8... higher peek power but massive loss of torque and power spread. It is'nt about headline numbers as we know. Stick at it tho mate... It is at least proven to work on a few other similar spec'd cars (unlike my 300 cranes at the time)
    Evolution & Development.. stick at it.

20. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Too late -- he's sold them.