Bad R32 write up -EVO mag

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by sutherlandm, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Rob.gti Forum Member

You could buy a Scooby for 24000 and what do you get... a fast car thats extremely plasticey inside, needs servicing every 7500 miles, is very very costly to run and looks like a throwback from the 70's! :lol:

R32 has been noted in many magazines as being extremely good value for money [:D]

2. muppet Forum Member

Nissan 350z 24000
    Mazda RX8 21995
    Impreza WRX PPP(?)( [xx(] )22095
    Mondeo ST220 21745
    Leon Cupra R 225 18000
    Lotus Elise or VX 220 22995

You pays your money, You takes your choice. no need to get upset and start insulting people if they don't agree with you.

(i'd have the Mongdeo, BTW)

3. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Valid point there Muppet :)

I was unimpressed by the ST220 I drove a couple of weeks ago,no quicker than an old ST24 IMO :thumbd:

4. GVK

Isn't that what UK-MKIV's is for?? :lol:
    Edited by: G_V_K

5. Rob.gti Forum Member

Nissan 350z 24000 - Yes agreed [:D]

Mazda RX8 21995 - Not liking that car [:s]

Impreza WRX PPP(?)( [xx(] )22095 - way to expensive to run

Mondeo ST220 21745 - :lol: nuff said

Leon Cupra R 225 18000 - missing 4 wheel drive plus extras, but another worthy counterpart

Lotus Elise or VX 220 22995 - totally impractical

Not many there to match the Golfs alround package [:D]

6. muppet Forum Member

The Leon is 4 wheel drive. Isn't it?

Mondeo Good car, crap badge?

Edited by: muppet

7. Andy947 Forum Addict

Still say the S3 is the better car :)

8. GVK

Leon is front wheel drive ;)

New S3 is same 3.2 unit as the R32 isn't it?
    Edited by: G_V_K

9. Rob.gti Forum Member

No the Cupra R is front wheel drive only.

The old S3 I can agree with. But the new Audi A3 3.2 is a crock of pooe! Its a cruisers car, not a sporting car like the old S3, plus it much more expensive than an R32. Will have to see what Audi bring out.

Gary - ther is NO S3 yet ;)
    Edited by: Rob.gti

10. muppet Forum Member

Well, you learn something every day :lol:

Back to the drawing board.

11. Golfgirl Forum Member

I've not seen the review, but I've done my own review of the R32 which is why I have bought one. I could have bought any of the above cars, or several others for the same money but I didn't. Why? Because I like Golfs.

People are entitled to their own opinion on what they drive, which is why we have such a diverse range of cars on here with almost all of them completely unlike anyone elses's because of individual mods.

I'm not ramming it down anybody's throat that my car is the best in the world because it's not. It's the best for me, which is why I bought one, but it's certainly not the best for most people on here, which is why you all drive what you do. In return I don't expect people to ram it down my throat that their car or another car is better than mine and I should have bought something else because if it was then I would have got one of those.

It's all about personal choice and what you want from a car and the R32 does for me what the Mk 1/2 does for the majority on here.

12. Rob.gti Forum Member

Good girl :clap:

13. muppet Forum Member

As i said on page 1. Agreed

14. HEARDY Forum Member

Is there going to be a mk5 R32 or not?
    The only thing with buying a brand new R32 now is that it's like buying an old model if you get what i mean but you're paying brand new money for it.

15. Rob.gti Forum Member

There will be an R32 version of the MK5 but its not due till well into 2006. Its is rumoured to be more powerful too as it will be using VW's new FSI technology[:D]

16. ViCk Forum Member

The R32 is a very nice car, I love the darn thing! It is totally different to the Mk1, Mk2's as it is more a quick luxuary cruiser rather than a raw hatchback. Some of like the rawness of the older cars, some of us don't.

Obviously a lot of the Mk1, Mk2 owners cars on here are not standard and would give an R32 a run for it's money at a fraction of the price.

But if you do want the quickest factory produced Golf to date, then it's the R32.

17. muppet Forum Member

did someone say MK1 campaign ;) :lol: ;)

18. GVK

I hope Bosch give VW a better system than they've given Ford - the SCI system on the new Mondeo is a load of crap, was on a course last week about it [xx(]

19. GVK

That just about sums it up I think :thumbup:

20. vealige Forum Member

I personally love the R32. I think VW has done something special as it doesn't look cheap, tacky or overstated like its competition. (Scoobies, RS focus etc.) I've sat in one and been driven around in one and to be honest i would drop the keys for my MK2 in exchange for it. Its not the quickest car i've been in and it certainly aint the best handling either, however i think it does everything it sets out to do with top marks. Its comfortable, its refind, it sounds georgous, it looks sooooo good without being over the top and they always seem to turn heads. It looks like you spent 23K on it, not like a plastic scooby, and to finish it off they painted some in that amazing blue colour (Nothing wrong with the silver or black but i think the blue is the best.)

At the end of the day its not set out to be a noisy back to basics hot hatch, otherwise it would be something like a CTR. It is a luxury hatch which is in my eyes the Dogs of all the MK4's. Now someone lend me 20K so i can go and get one.