Bad R32 write up -EVO mag

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by sutherlandm, Apr 5, 2004.

1. mk3anniversary Forum Member

If i had that kind of money I don't think i would spend it on a car. Although if I had to, I'd wait until I could afford an RS6 (is that the right model)???

2. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Altern8 - Now that is one older car I would consider!
    There is one around here in white and it looks gorgeous.
    Dad had three Quattros in the 80s (last one a Treser) and nearly got a SWB Quattro Sport but they were not far off 70k then!
    Mk3 - RS6 is my next target- Would be an Avant. Walk past Docklands Audi every day and often hear them growling. Fantastic [:D]

3. ZapBranny Forum Member

Fair play for admitting it.

I personally couldn't afford one, but it doesn't make me jealous about it either.

I can appreciate a car from all the evidence presented to me i.e looks, performance, manufacturer, image, noise, style,association, commonality, its a bit ike art. At the end of the day its all down to personal choice, and to be honest I buy cars primarily because of the heart than the head.

Hence why I'd have the Alfa 147 GTA, it probably breaks down and the dealers are crap, but I just want one though. If someone were to criticise it or say they wouldn't want one, I wouldn't take it personally because I would be happy with my choice.

Why do you want the R32 to be the paper champion in a magazine? Your decision to buy one doesn't need to be justified.

RS6 :hug:

Edited by: ZapBranny

4. jjarvis Forum Junkie

Phew - Has everyone settled down now?
    Hate to see you lot after a load of beers! :lol:

5. Admin Guest

a lot of hugging a kissing goes on! don't be fooled by the banter! :hug: just one big happy family!

6. birchie90 Forum Member

I'd have to take a long hard think about what to do with that kind of money - think I'd keep the Mk3 (that all of you seem to love [:^(] ) and put the money down as a deposit on a house..... Jesus I've just said something sensible, my G/F will be impressed!!!

7. M1K VW Paid Member Paid Member

That's what I'm getting shut of mine to do. Sort of.

8. jprocter Forum Member

Well b4 you do get rid, i wanna hear it on throttle!!! i keep seeing it around it is lovely!!!!

9. edition38 Forum Member

i only got 12k in the car paul had to put full frontend and side in it but ive done a good job and looks like ive got somebody on it already only been done just over aweek :lol:

10. burton New Member

Ive just ordered a R32. Should be ready for collection Next week.

Why did i go with a R32?!?!?! Cos i have plans... No really.. MPG doesn't bother me! Im getting about 27mpg at the mo due to the stop start traffic driving that i do to work and back! So the TDI doesn't have a chance to get better! I don't have a g/f now and the ex live about a 30mile round trip! My mum is moving back to this way from N.Norfolk!

Yes.. the sound!!! hehe.. Iv owned Every Mark of Booted Jetta there has been. Most engines aswell. So iam used to power etc.. But now im used to build more so than a few years ago.

Im sorry but i would not buy another make of car! Even a friend of mine who is a Jap man at heart.. Well most of my mates are loves the R32! RX8 is not nice inside! Things just seem abit too Playstation not a grown up feel to a car thats over 20k!

If you spending this sort of money you want to feel that your getting your moneys worth, some might say now ahh yes Tom but thats not what its all about. Well im affriad it is for me.. You can keep the Scoobies and the poosubishi's... I want to get into a car i can feel proud of and think yes this is my car, god this feels lush! etc..

Im not saying that the other makes are bad!! and if your saying that the R32 is bad or not for you then fine.. But remember this.. Do you think that its goin to end here? Do you think that the old men that work in the old VW Motorsport section of VW are thinking hold up what have we done since the Golf Limited.. Nothing.. I know lets go take W8 Brakes and a Phateon Power plant put mate it all to a Mk4 golf. make the styling better and stick these seats in......... etc..

You get the point?! This is the start of something! Lets hope its the start of somthing good! VW is now listening to US!! Saying wheres the good old GTi etc!! Their trying to answer you.. Did poosubushi get it right first time with the EVO1? Hmmmmmm Is this why were at the EVO 8 at this stage?!?! So does this mean this is a new Rallye for the 2000's??? Who knows but looks like its goin to be good..

11. edition38 Forum Member

same as mk2 16vs ten years ago then !!!!!!!!!! ;)

12. Yorkie Forum Member

The R32 is not really my cup of tea tbh. I would rather see VW make a raw GTI instead and go more back to basics. They won't do this, cause this won't sell as many cars, and at the end of the day, VW are only in it for the money. The R32, appears to me to be far to "soft" and to "easy" to drive. The look doesn't really do it for me either, as the Golf over the years has really put on more and more weight. However, this does not make it a bad car. Just a car that doesn't do it for me.

Personnally VW's are really starting to bore me now (with the exception of the mk1 GTI), and I'm in the market for a new car and I know it will be fast, sporty and Japanesse.
    But at the end of the day, we all move on.

Cheers

Jamie

13. lewiscypher Forum Member

problem for me about spending 20k one one car( which I dont have spare at the moment- KIDS!!!!)

is there are so many that I want Im not sure i could blow it all on one

I know Id end up with a collection of old ones!!! but thats another thread...

But then I am a yorkshireman which for those of you who didnt now is defined as a scotsman stripped of his generosity. so IM not so keen on't partin wit t brass tha nus

If you love your car and happy with what youve spent on ityour in motoring nirvana anyway so who cares what anyone else thinks "journalists"
    (hawk spit!!) in particular

14. andymark1 Forum Member

All i was saying is what the car is built for :) not sl*gging it in any way, as i used to own a MK3 vr6,but it would be nice to see a R32 going round castle combe on vw day ;)

Ps all my cars are bog standard!! :)
    Edited by: andymark1

15. Guests Banned

Why oh why does this same point get taken up eveytime a newer make of golf is mentioned. In every post i read on the newer golfs, its always that the people who own mk1 and mk2's cant afford a newer car, and there is always a several page arguement on the whole thing!

Yes its a nice car, but for the money, no i would not buy it. i would personally have the rx8, or a few year old evo for the same money.

I can say that cos im not a VW enthuisast. I have owned many different makes and models, but im not drawn to one make all the time, so none of this narrowed mined VW only branding please.

Rant over, but interesting read.

16. shadowman Forum Member

Not all of us can't afford a newer car, some of us just don't want one.

The R32 is the next generation VW Hot Hatch, desirable to some and not to others and to those who own one I hope you love it.

I to have driven many different cars but only VW have that special family too which all owners belong.

17. Rallye Forum Junkie

R32s are LHD E39 M5 money[:*:]

18. Claypole Forum Junkie

Is anyone going to question why what should be the top of the range performance VW Golf is so slow for it's spec. ? [:$]

I'd like them (VW) to have a go at kicking their boy/girl racer siblings at Seat. They have the seemingly racier image while VW are wasting a brilliant engine with a fat donkey chassis.
    While the crackpots at Alfa put more horses through two wheels VW go the safe route of 4...
    When the R32 was drifting out of the pages of the mags I thought I'd a car to aspire to but it's not what I wanted from it.

Hell I'd love to be able to afford one and good on anyone who can it's your money you buy what you like. :)

19. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

yeah but what sort of idiot wants a LHD car in England?

Oh.....errr.... [:$]

I love teh R32, the way it looks and sounds etc, but as other have said if I had 20K cash in my hand, I wouldn't be off to the VW garage....I'd be off to buy me an R34 Skyline. The only Jap car I'd happily own....
    Edited by: RallyeVR6

20. lewiscypher Forum Member

The "problem" if there is one is the dissapointment that vw have strayed from the successful formula of the early gtis,

The r32 is a very fine machine but it wont sell in the kind of numbers that the gti did something like a third of mk2s were gtis, the formula was a simple lightweight entertaining car well built and affordable.the r32 is a completely different kettle of fish you cant really compare it to the mk1s and 2s.

its a pity vw havent also put out something like the peugot rallye or clio cup, lightwieght no frills sports machines at a good price, a lightened lupo gti without the frippery with cheap price tag would have sold like hair restorer( well id have bought one)

look at the success of the saxo/106 gti- ok an unfortunate image but a very successful package I think theyve missed an opportunity there, they could build brand loyalty as people work their way up the range