bodybuilder

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by joeb, Sep 12, 2007.

1. seanlazyass Forum Member

Good advice generally Matt but I would have to disagree with -
    I don't see how you can put a distance on it. Its totally subjective.
    I use SIS http://www.scienceinsport.com/ And have done since I was competing in Cross Country Mountain bike races lasting 45+ minutes.

I would say that unless you are competing you don't need anything special, but if you are and want to be competitive then they are a must.

When I was racing I got all my supplements and energy drinks for free, so I've no idea how expensive SIS is compared to other manufacturers. [:$]

2. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Sean - Not sure I totally agree.
    Managed 5th out of 700 at 44m07s for a seriously hilly 10k run the other day (my 2nd ever race) without a single supplement or flashy drink (except Lucozade afterwards).
    I think too many people rely too much on kit (especially MTBers) and supplements.
    Just train hard!

Tony's post suggested his rides are currently just for fun, not racing. I don't reckon anything beyond Lucozade is needed.

3. Tony20VTurbo Forum Member

don't think I will ever be at a competition type level, but I do enter cross country events, 30k cross country etc, but from what people have said, I dont think it warrants protein etc type drinks.

on the 30k ride I did, all i drank was water and a few energy bars, and that did the trick

4. seanlazyass Forum Member

Matt-
    I agree in Tony's position I don't think there is a need for them.

But when I was competing they were needed.

I was sponsored by Leisure Lakes Cycles and ranked 4th in Great Britain at my best, 3 times Welsh Champion, etc. So for me to be competitive it was necessary. Everyone at my level was using some sort of energy drink during the races.

I'm positive you would benefit from an energy drink during your races. 44 minutes running is endurance. You said it helped you to recover. Why was that? The same logic is applied during your race.
    Do you pay particular attention to your diet the day and morning before your race?

What I didn't agree with was your distance requirement for them.

Ps. Congratulations on your race. Thats good going!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2007
  5. seanlazyass Forum Member

Just so you know Tony, I was only reffering to energy drinks during exercise. Not protein supplements.

Having the energy bars will have helped you a great deal. I don't want you to think all you need is water during a 30K race!

6. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Blimey - Nicely done (only thing I have ever gained a UK ranking in is a sprint beach race for surf life savers called "flags"- 2nd in UK and 4th, middleweight kickboxing) on the ranking!
    Ate properly the night before and for brekkie (wife is a cracking healthy cook). Just feel the Lucozade helped - seems to quench thirst better than just water - Only guesswork though.

7. Seraph Banned

Remember that freak thread a few months back - with the guys with muscles saturated with fluid!

8. prof Forum Addict

you do not eat enough.

add 250 calories per day every day, then tell me you can not put on weight.

it's easy really

9. superden Forum Addict

Lard pie.

10. b'locks Forum Addict

i wouldn't say it's easy tbh but maybe it depends on how busy your life is. i find it very hard to make sure i meet my eating goals, especially with all the exercise burning off calories. it's hard to find the time to eat enough and keeping it varied enough too imo. all doable though.

11. The db

The db Forum Junkie

Yer I'd agree with that too as I work in an office and dont have the luxury of any time to prepare meals/cook stuff. You kind of have to factor things in as best you can. Atm I've taken to cooking an extra bit of chicken at night some nights and eating it cold as a meal during the day at work.

12. prof Forum Addict

if you are not hitting your calorie goals cheat

get some more energy dense foods, buy some natural peanut butter [where the only ingredient is peanuts] and use it as a dip with raw veg and apples, drizzle veg in lots of flavoured olive oils etc. or get some freezer bags, fill with a serving of protein powder and milled flax seeds and make shakes up at work through the day.

1 table spoon of peanut butter is 100 calories, so use 2 and dip in apple slices, and there's an easy extra 270 cals straight away which is enough calories to add mass slowly. Do this for 1 month then measure yourself, if little change add more

Last edited: Sep 18, 2007
  13. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

14. prof Forum Addict

aye Pete that's the one, tastes great.

15. b'locks Forum Addict

i need to get me some peanut butter actually. 100cals in 1 tablespoon is damn good.

16. prof Forum Addict

i tend to eat it last thing at night with some raw veg and the mandatory fish oil caps

should help keep your body from starving overnight.

however it does make for some crazy dreams

17. b'locks Forum Addict

i already have crazy dreams so that's not an issue for me

18. prof Forum Addict

add in some ZMA [zinc magnesium and B6] and it's a wild ride of nocturnal imaginings

19. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Vitamin B6 gives you the most mental dreams ever....

20. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Guinness gives me interesting dreams. Iron content?