CGTI Mountain Bike Club

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by PeeJay, Oct 5, 2010.

1. vwp6n Forum Member

Aid. Saw the Rocco parked at the Nevis range a few weeks ago. Think it was the 1st July we were up. Small world, it was the sebrings that drew my attention.

Hopefully be up the end of this month again.

Are you a local?

2. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

No, must have been someone else chap :)

3. aid

aid Forum Member

Yeah im local :) im racing here this weekend. Bit of fun and we get a bit of the world cup woods
    Is your polo dark green?

4. mk1 valver

mk1 valver Forum Member

Few shots taken over 2 jumps by the gf today in Morzine.
    Last day tomoz, :cry:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. PeeJay Forum Junkie

6. Joe16v Forum Member

You lot are just making me jealous.

I used to spend my summers in morzine. Be going end of august! Can't wait!!! First time on dh bike since destroying my knee out there in the snow in 2010.

If anyone is around morzine then let me know!

7. mk1 valver

mk1 valver Forum Member

Got a new Gopro Hero2 this week so went out this morning(in awful, muddy, wet conditions) and did a quick test run which I did a tiny amount of editing to.
    [video=vimeo;47770286]https://vimeo.com/47770286[/video]

8. aid

aid Forum Member

today is the last day of Nevis Range downhill. im heading up in a bit, after i get my new tyres fitted to the car.

heres a video i finally got uploaded, its of my last race run.
    im on a better bike now so hopefully next year i can hit the season hard, and not spend half of it recovering.

turn the sound and bass up, and enjoy :thumbup:

[video=youtube;g0Mz6dyPhg0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0Mz6dyPhg0&feature=player_embedded#![/video]

9. mk1g60turbo Forum Member

Anyone fancy a massive saving on a Ibis Bike???

I am the Jersey, Channel Islands agent for them. ;)

10. Admin Guest

how massive? as they are bank breakers!

11. PeeJay Forum Junkie

Sorry I didn't reply to your PM on the matter, I read it on my phone and then forgot about it.

I might be interested, sorry I AM interested, but it will depend on the - had my Spicy stolen and our insurer has given me the "sorry pal" treatment.

I assumed they're VAT free in the channel islands, I'd rip your arm off for am SLX spec HD 160, but frankly the frame-only price would be tricky right now.

Do you have any 'last year' bikes or slightly less 'boutique' brands?

12. lufbramatt Forum Member

Got this about a year ago, 2011 Trek Fuel EX8, got nearly 600 off the list price as the bike shop were clearing space for the new 2012 bikes :) can't believe how much faster it is than a hardtail offroad, and how much less stress it puts on your back! I was a hardtail advocate for years but my mind has defiantely been changed by this.

[​IMG]

Had my old Orange Evo2 for 10 yers now though and it's still going strong, did the london to brighton ride on it this year and it's just had a pair of Salsa Cromoto rigid forks put on it so I can use it for training rides over the winter and not worry too much about maintenance

[​IMG]

13. PeeJay Forum Junkie

Nearing the light at the end of the tunnel in regards to replacing my stolen bike, or perhaps it's a train coming.

The end budget is undecided as yet, but looking at Transition Converts, Santa Cruz Nomads, or if I can find one - a Cove G Spot, so far I've found 3 second hand in europe - 1 was a frame only and he wanted virtually new money for it, another was built to a insanely high spec and way over budget - one was slightly rougher in terms of being a bitsa bike built with parts spanning 3-4 year - but I would have taken his hand off at the price - only it was the wrong size.

Anyway, as you can see, since I've not been riding I've taken up rambling...

Anyonw planning any Alpine / North American Trips next summer? I 'should' be Morzine bound next year, but it will depend on finances after our Wedding in spring.

14. mk1 valver

mk1 valver Forum Member

Already planning my Morzine trip, even though word has it the Pleney lift will be close due it being replaced. More reason to head Avoriaz/Chatel direction:thumbup:

15. PeeJay Forum Junkie

Really! Don't they have enough of an off, off season!

That would be a shame, it was closed the first day we were in Morzine this year, and broken the next morning for a few hours (which it did a lot this year I hear) - Chatel is mint, but it would cut-off Les Gets and it's Bike Park from Morzine and making staying in Les Gets a proper pain in the ****! It's hard enough getting back to the digs after a day on the trails and 3 Mutzigs worse off without that ******* climb/push up the road!

I'm hoping to get down there towards the end of the season this year - went early this year to do Passportes - not doing it again...

16. mk1 valver

mk1 valver Forum Member

Yeah, getting to Les Gets would be an ****, but it is only around 4 miles by road, and they would probably run buses as an alternative. Staying in Les Gets would be a real bad idea, but then we always stay in Morzine anyway.

17. Joe16v Forum Member

Pleney should still be open. Most work will be going on in off season and they'll have the chairs to use if not.

what was wrong with the passportes? Despite spending donkeys there, I've never done it. Was thinking about taking the pitch for a short weekend of it then a dh rag in August on my Sunday.

btw, have you looked at pitches pjay? Got mine for 850, 2011 pro with one scratch and reflectors still on. About to get a dropper post and it'll be sorted.

18. mk1 valver

mk1 valver Forum Member

Taken from pinkbike.

Regarding the Pleney lift.

I spoke to a guy who works for reach4thealps and he reckons the pleney lift is going to be down. But they will apparently be running the Viking chair and possibly the one above the tobbogan and possibly some other one that i've not heard of.

19. Joe16v Forum Member

Lots of ifs but nothing confirmed officially. My friends at riders refuge, plus someone who works for serma has no idea.

Yeah, there's the toboggan that gets near the top and another that starts just down from it which takes you over the start of pleney. Cant imagine they'll use the small one next to viking as it's probably more ancient than pleney!

20. PeeJay Forum Junkie

Passportes is Gay, there, I said it. I'll say now I'm not the fittest rider in the world, but some of my riding buddies are super-fit and didn't like it ether.

It's Long, very, very, very long – 94km (60miles) if you do every check-point, and it’s designed that way by the Tourist People to get as many riders to as many towns in PDS – but to do that they’ve come up with a route that’s crazy/nutty/downhill/technical in the Morzine/Chatel/Avoriaz/Les but it’s the places everyone knows and rides anyway then a lung busting, looooooooong and leg destroying in the Northern half, we did see the odd good descent (literally 2 or maybe 3 decent ones) on the Swiss side, I know there are more, but they’re not on the route, it’s miles and miles and miles and miles of the same thing – HUGE long climb on rocky road, or tarmac – never ‘trail’ the odd lift and then super fast, rocky fire road decent down – you go very quickly, but the only technical part is trying to read the road at 40-50mph to make sure you don’t hit a big rock or rain channel and smash yourself to a million parts – LOTS of Heli’s flying non-stop all day because of this. It’s exhausting – the scenery is mind-blowing of course – but it’s not a sight-seeing trip. Honestly – once you’re away from the usual places where you’re riding the usual routes between towns it’s a lung busting, brake melting, fork eating rattleathon
    That all sounds pretty negative, we did really enjoy the day, but the riding wasn’t worth huge amount of time you spent just getting around – I’d do it again (despite what I said yesterday). There’s a good craic going on, lots of riders from lots of places chatting, it’s the ‘vibe’ that makes it – but I’d stick to the lower half of the map, beef up the set-up and concentrate on the optional downhill bits – judging on the way the crowds dropped on the northern parts I guess that’s what most people do.
    The ‘worst’ part, by the time we’d rolled into Robbo’s we were utterly wasted – even the super-fit guys were wasted the next day from a combination of tiredness, sun burn, dehydration and bikes that needed a lot of TLC we didn’t ride that day – so we lost a riding day out the 4 we had and it ****ED down on our last day.

Yes Pitches are very much on the list, my Buddy rode his on Passports, all the DH / Park stuff and a week in Whistler Bike Park and it never went wrong once, I’ve ridden a few and really liked them , it’s the ‘cheap’ choice.