CGTI Mountain Bike Club

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by PeeJay, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Joe16v Forum Member

Frames are the good parts, some of the components let it down but it seems to be a good base. Forks are a bit ****, wheels not the lightest.

Im planning on new wheels and a rock shox revelation post soon. Then eventually find some fox 32s.

That was my suspicion with the Passportes. But recently some people have mentioned it. I remember getting free beer at one of the stops in champery that we used for refreshments while on the champer's dh track. thought turn it into a **** up but maybe too far!

2. G-Man Forum Junkie

Bit of an old thread but picking up a Giant ATX 1 DH this weekend and cannot wait as I've always wanted these back when I was a teenager.

Sadly the frame is currently coated in primer ready to paint but it's the same bike in principle:

[​IMG]

Anyone every owned or had any riding experience on one of these?

Also it is actually worth taking it to a local bike shop to service or do people tend to do it themselves?

3. rocco2litre

rocco2litre Forum Junkie

i have a giant ac2, can ride it cross country, but downhill is brilliant...check all the pivots you can buy a complete kit off ebay

4. PeeJay Forum Junkie

That's a deeply cool retro ride.

Personally... I think Bike Shop 'services' are a total waste of money, TBH I'd never heard of such a thing till a few years ago when commuter cycling really caught on and the MAMILs turned up, back-in-the-day if you were new to it all and a bit nervous you took your bike into a shop and asked them to "check it over" a mechanic would wiggle all the moving bits, and usually tell you your BB was shot, or you needed a brake bleed or a wheel true and you'd book it in - nowadays they offer "services" where they usually change the gear cables (3 each, retail) because new cables always make a bike feel nicer, dab a bit of grease here and there and THEN tell you your BB is shot, or you need a brake bleed or a wheel true and ask you to book it in.

5. aid

aid Forum Member

Its a shame that most of the young lads riding these days have no idea of the history of the sport that lies in that bike lol

There was a guy racing at glencoe on one earlier this year for the sda.

6. PeeJay Forum Junkie

Was up at the new Bike Park Wales yesterday - HOLY TAP DANCING JOHOVA.

It's pretty mental, great fun, but you need your wits about you, the blue trails up there start at about the level the red ones on normal trail centres end. .