CGTI Mountain Bike Club

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by PeeJay, Oct 5, 2010.

1. welshwizzard88

welshwizzard88 Forum Member

Hi just noticed the thread i am up for a get to gether atleast my bikes in a better state than my Gti.

Did south downs last summer was epic in 2 days:lol:

2. oldnick

oldnick Paid Member Paid Member

How we all doing?

Just got back from the Dirty Dozen at Gisburn Forest, 12 hours, 11 laps, 75 miles, proper hilly and technical mountain biking.

Winner did 19 laps, 129 miles :o

How am I doing? Fooked.

3. Admin Guest

my bike computer told me i had hit 87mph the other day, thats going to take some beating now

4. tinydubs

tinydubs Forum Member

seriously? i`ve managed to hit 60mph at fort bill coming down the motorway section and dropping in to the elevator shaft before, but 87MPH is a serious feat. where were you?

i wanna go!!!

5. Admin Guest

no, i did managed 32mph on the flat with a bit of a following wind, i can't remember at what point along the road it had thought i had hit 87mph[:s]:lol:

best i have ever got was 54mph on a hill in Yorkshire on a fully rigid bike, was a bit of a white knuckle ride, hitting that speed in a corner on stutter bumps.

6. danster Forum Addict

Bump.

As TonyB points out in this thread linked to below, mountain bikers may be interested or want to respond to this. This is possibly already known about in MB circles, but linking it across may still be useful to let folks know. :thumbup:
    http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=239170

7. bigbeat

bigbeat Forum Member

Quick post about the Olympic mtb track on Hadleigh Farm. There is an inaugural race being held this sunday to see if it can cope with the crowds. Gates open at 9am.
    I'll be attending i'll try and get some pics if people are interested.

8. mk1 valver

mk1 valver Forum Member

Just won this frame on EBAY. Well chuffed, 10" of titanium sprung travel [:D], now I just need to sell my Tomac frame to cover some of the cost.

9. Admin Guest

thats a monster!

10. PeeJay Forum Junkie

Jeez! 10" single pivot frame, that's going to take some taming!

11. mk1 valver

mk1 valver Forum Member

Not quite single pivot. Some difficult to capture gubbins going on in the rear triangle. Just took a couple of pics and played with the levels to try and show the linkage, pretty unsuccessfully.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Did a fair bit of research and at the time it was regarded as a great frame, very plush, but also heavy, but seeing as I wont be riding it up and hills that is not such an issue for me.

How it looks with a front wheel on the back until my new one arrives. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  12. Admin Guest

I built up a new bike and took her for a blast today, she rides really well :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. VR6T

VR6T Forum Member

Here's my old Kona Lava Dome which has served me well for the last 18 years!!
    [​IMG]
    Now that the old bones cant take a battering like thay used to i upgraded to this a couple of weeks ago!
    [​IMG]

14. PeeJay Forum Junkie

Here's my '11 Spicy 516 in Chatel (ish) last weekend.

Had it 6 months now and it's been a brillaint ride. Pretty much as it came, apart from switching the shifters from Deore to SLX, there's nothing wrong with the Deore ones per-se, just they had big gear indicator windows you can't remove and mean I couldn't get the brakes where I want them.

Also changed the standard flat-wide bars for slightly narrower / higher ones, I know this is totally against current fashion but I've got a buggered elbow with limited range of movement and flat bars give me a lot of pain.

Also ditched the Conti OE ditch finders for a set of proper Maxxis rubber.

[​IMG]

15. PeeJay Forum Junkie

Hey Smudge, is that shock meant to be that way up?

16. PeeJay Forum Junkie

[​IMG]

Flying high over, Avoriaz

17. Admin Guest

Nice, I hope you have a great time if you are still there, I'm off to the lakes next week and yep, the shock is correct in it's upside down position, it's how it left the factory.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2012
  18. aid

aid Forum Member

Im a downhill rider, Nevis range local.

Not rapid, rapid bit if anyone fancies a blast down a wc course then givs a shout.
    Come say hey if you ever see me in the car park unpacking my bike from the rocco.

I have a yeti dh9. Though this weekend I have to use a bighit because I dont have shock bolts and im not sure theyl arrive in time :(

19. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Had no idea so many people on here rode :thumbup:

Been out of the game for a few years now with uni/cars etc but looking to get back into it. Used to race a bit of DH but recently started doing a bit of singletrail etc to get a bit fitter. Had a few bikes over the years including a 223 but always kept my trusty GT hardtail in various guises (must have had this about 7-8 years). Just need to get some mud tyres back on it.

[​IMG]

20. aid

aid Forum Member

Jmsheahan were you at Nevis range a few weeks ago? I borrowed Allan keys off a lad with a red mk2,just saw the pic in your Sig is all haha