Dodgy driver

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by dodgy, Mar 7, 2021.

1. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

David Attenborough is going to be making a TV show about the old seal. 20220313_113518.jpg makeshift paint oven.
    20220313_124103.jpg
    New seal fitted 20220313_113450.jpg

Usual inspection by site manager 20220313_125135.jpg

New headlining 20220313_144258.jpg 20220313_144306.jpg

Aerial and new orange indicators 20220313_161724.jpg 20220313_172027.jpg

And main part fitted with repainted trims 20220313_161709.jpg 20220313_161802.jpg 20220313_161709.jpg

Oops 20220313_164918.jpg

Attached Files:

Vinnie likes this.
  2. Vinnie Paid Member Paid Member

What was the headlining fitment like

dodgy likes this.
  3. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Good progress there Dave, looking good :thumbup:

dodgy likes this.
  4. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

I offloaded the last 5 headliners i imported from Poland, only today.
    Though yours is probably a Myrtle, Dave?

dodgy likes this.
  5. dodgy

Really good, holes drilled for roof bung clips, visors etc, grab handles were a little bit of a pain but was losing light and cold so more my fault.
    Nice material and plenty for panel.
    But yes, recommended by me.

Yes Myrtle @Tristan , I did look at the polish ones you said about but didn't see them in the store plus not on fb myself. Myrtle seem to have several sites, jagheadliners I think, plus ebay, and with the discounts etc it worked out just over £110 delivered.

6. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Bargain, I’ll have to get me one of these

dodgy likes this.
  7. dodgy

Made the most of the day, feel like I've got a lot done in the time.
    Also ordered the material for door panels, modern gti tartan, just have to pop over to Vandalised which are about 2 miles from me, they sell van lining materials, glue etc so will get some adhesive and 4 way stretch carpet, plan is carpet on lower bit at pocket level, tartan main and probably black vinyl top, electric window gear so no handle and may lose the mirror adjuster if plan works.

Vinnie likes this.
  8. dodgy

Go for it, do several colours too. Went in well, like I say I managed it all on my own, which was probably easier as it's a 5 door so could rest it on front headrests and get in back and slide it into the doorseals.

9. dodgy

Plus the trim spray seems to have worked well on all except the sun visor clips, but I've ordered black ones now, and replace drivers visor.

10. Savagesam

I'll be going for black, black and black to match the rest of the GTI trim

dodgy likes this.
  11. dodgy

That was one thing our bmw had that we did like, black headlining and black leather seats.
    Mrs Dodgy approved when she saw it earlier.

12. Savagesam

Mrs Savagesam doesn't care about cars, which has its perks but also it's drawbacks

dodgy likes this.
  13. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

110 is crazy good value.

dodgy likes this.
  14. dodgy

Was 150 plus 34 post, got 10% in an offer and then had 20% off code and the nectar points accumulated converted to vouchers, all in about 70 off.
    For fabric and glue it was near £100, plus an unknown quantity as to the state of my board once start removing it,

15. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

You are right, I wouldn't repair and recover an old one again at that price, too much hassle and time.

Vinnie and dodgy like this.
  16. dodgy

New visor clips in black have arrived, to replace the scratchable sprayed ones, waiting for the seatbelts to come back, and some more bits to arrive.
    One of the things enroute is a volvo sunroof motor, found an old thread suggesting one or a Vauxhall one to fit a mk2 as same manufacturer, found a cheap one to play with.
    Obviously I'm going to need a switch, and have had a couple of polo window switches turn up for the new regulators, realised yesterday when drove the mgf that they look almost identical in that.
    Bit more investigation needed but land-rover freelanders have a sunroof switch that looks from the same maker and may fit a mk2 golf switch hole.
    I'll look for one in scrapyard.

17. dodgy

Bit more time on the golf today, put some carpet from an old polo glued to the inside of the sunroof, was a bit shocked in the week at the condensation on it , hopefully will act as a bit of insulation and sound deadening. Then covered and reinstalled the inner cover panel along with the new black visor clips. 20220320_131204.jpg 20220320_124541.jpg 20220320_124552.jpg

Next up was the rear seat, its a mk3 colour concept one, I got them as was local and cheap, to tie in with the front seats, but they had yellow centre panels, plan has always been to dye them black overall.
    Had some vinyl and trim spray arrive, and after removing seat scrubbed it with a scotchbrite pad and isopropyl alcohol, looked like I'd caught minionitis. 20220320_124528.jpg 20220320_124523.jpg 20220320_131308.jpg

One tin of spray later, and it's not too bad. 20220320_125642.jpg 20220320_125638.jpg

Dried less shiny, but still a bit more than I would have liked, will see how settles and may get the same spray I did the trim and visors with as that had a more satin finish.

No more pics, but have fitted the new centre console with switch holes, moved the heated seat switches into it (discovered one switch is kaput) and made and installed the electric window loom, terminating at the doors until I fit the new regulators, all relayed and thermal fused as per the oem loom. Plus a supply is in for possibly fitting sunroof motor, if I find a working one (!) As the volvo one I picked up appears to be seized.
    Wiring sorted for self dimming interior mirror, and just have to figure mounting it well.
    Lower dash trim is fitted and just waiting for seatbelts to return.

Seem to have another electric oddity, when I reconnected the battery, one rad fan fired up, and will even run when the switch is unplugged on the radiator, most strange, so need to look further, so far have had lights on, then auxiliary water pump running, and now radiator fan, investigation due.

Other problem was the 18 relay needed a bit of wiggling as the wipers, heater and some switches were not working, found another so will swap in week.

18. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yep look for landrover sunroof switches on ebay, come up dirt cheap and you often get 2 of them in a little console thing. pinout and shape is identical to mk2 golf and a much cheaper alternative to the polo openair ones which are 30+ quid each usually!

if oyu want to mount your switch in the roof though look elsewhere, they're far too deep. go for an early corrado type sunroof trim and switch instead much easier to work with

dodgy likes this.
  19. dodgy

Spare hole in centre console so will utilise that for sunroof switch, thanks @rubjonny for confirming that fits, presumably one landy switch does open and close?
    Polo open air are two switches? One open, one close? I Do have a pair of them if anyone wants them, with plugs too, 'much cheapness!'
    Rebuilt the seat switch with a mk4 golf board swapped into passat casing so that's saved me a tenner.

Another question regarding the sunroof motor, it has 3 wires, so 1 ground and then is it the other 2 are one open, one close?
    One wire is obviously earth to body as has a ring on it, then one red, one blue, volvo 480 motor, but if I put it on a battery I got nothing, but motor seemed rusty.

20. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the landy ones do open and close, they're identical to mk2 window switch right down to the connector/pinout on the back. the polo openair is a single switch also, again exactly the same as a mk2 window switch inside just bloody expensive

note theres a couple styles of switch, one which has triangle shaped recesses in the switch. has a different plug on the back but would probably still work? main issue is sourcing a diagram. this is the one you want, with the more square shaped recess
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391882134122

heres one showing a piccy of the back, see its got a mk2 golf plug but in green (may be handy so you can easily ID the right plug in the loom?)
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173944757452

heres the triangly shaped version, very similar but different plug on the back:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255068259269

dodgy likes this.