Few questions for ABF MK2.

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Gup16v, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Gup16v Forum Member

hi guys - long post sorry!

brothers doing an abf in his mk2 1.3 driver (which had a early 8v engine in it). Engine is in fine and car is back on all fours.

so far im stuck on the transponder and key, how does this plug into the car? Ive got a green plug which goes to the fusebox, only place free is socket d, would that be the right one?

The set up is from a mk2, he gave me the whole car loom but i fiqured id just use the engine loom and use the rest of my loom, any issues with this?

the starter does not power up though, cannot hear the injectors priming, Can hear something in the engine switch on though.

ill post a pic of the transponder, if any one can help me identify the wires that would be great.

any help on the other areas would also be great.

thanks (ill update this as more and more issues arise lol).

2. Gup16v Forum Member

3. Gup16v Forum Member

ive read through most guides on here but its not clicking for me lol.

4. Chrisrpal Events Team

For any wiring issues speak to Toyotec or Rubjony!!

As for transponder when I did it, black went to earth from memory and grey went to ECU. That's it, plug transponder loop in with chip taped to the loop and you should be ready to go. Don't forget the VAG com lead, alot of people forget to wire this in. I am not 100% but check with one of the chaps above.

Cheers

5. smokinrider New Member

Black eyelet which turnes into brown wire is earth, other black wire is switched live. grey goes to ecu. red white diagnostic plug wire goes to live grey wire loops to diagnostic plug via 2x2 jumper, yellow i guess is the loop for diags for airbag and abs. ign barrel receiver goes over ignition barrel and chip goes in the key (or tape chip to ign barrel receiver and hide under dash.
    immobiliser only effects spark once engine fires so it isnt the cause of your fuel injectors not priming.

Rubjonny helped me out loads. it is quite a simple wire up once u get head round it.
    All info is on here. i would not worry about immobiliser yet, get rest connected correctly so fuel primes when key turned. "engine will fire but wont run" and then sort out immobiliser.

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

black wire just needs ign live from somewhere. you could use mk3 d plug and jumper block, or just find an ign live elsewhere. chunky black with ring is earth, i used the stud on the a pillar near the fusebox

you have 2 diagnostics wires on immob box, one goes to ecu the other goes to the diagnostics jumper. plugs are different so you cant mix em up so no worries there

7. Gup16v Forum Member

thanks guys, ill be trying to get through his loom on saturday..

the starter kicks in now, turns out the car had some switch which stops anything from happening (current wise).

starter has a bad earth atm will need to sort this out, think its bcuz its rusted to death around the bolt.

still no fuel prime. i know on my 1.8t. the ecu earths the fuel pump, id pressume its the same for the ABF Ecu?

fuel relay was tested on my car and its fine, might check the smaller fuse havent done this yet. Any ideas as to how many earthing points i should have?

ill also check the earth wires to make sure theres no breaks.

...arhh thanks dude, as long as i can rule out the immob for the car not starting ill look in other places now.
    my money is on a earth...also on the back of the ECU, i have the slot to plug the loom in to the ecu, next to it is a vaccum type nozzle ?? any ideas as to what its far?

thanks again guys its starting to make sense now.

8. rubjonny

yeah the ecu has an earth trigger to the fusebox, g1/3 on 90spec, d/13 on pre-90. make sure you have a 67, 80 or 167 fuel relay. if its 90spec dont forget to fit ecu relay 30! the ecu has a main earth which i usually run to the battery -ve by splicing it to the tci earth (tci unit and wiring added as part of mk2 coil conversion) obviously check the fuel pump fuse :)

9. Gup16v Forum Member

rightyy..had a look everything stated above.. all in check..injectors priming so ecu is powering up. starter turning over.

g1/3 was down as the earth switch (blue yellow from ecu??) had an earthing point spliced in to it aswell ??:S

anyways i think i know what the issue is..No live wire in plug m lol..plug M had a brown and black&purple pins but no live (yellow and red).

the engine before was a GU circa engine, which ive been told is a very early 8v. The car is a 1.3 shell, so fuel pump live maybe elsewhere?
    Can i go ahead and get a ABF fuel pump?

thanks again guys

10. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

I can update this to non Immo if needs be.

11. Gup16v Forum Member

ill ask him..he may want the ecu deimmob..drop us a pm with prices :)

12. rubjonny

GU is a 1.8 carb, so no wonder there wasnt a fuel pump wire ;)

get yourself a mk2 gti rear loom, or add in the wire. you could cut the plug m wiring out of a mk3 in scrappy, theres loads of those around right now. the plug m wires go direct to the fuel pump so can just cut that section out and run it along side your old rear loom

13. Gup16v Forum Member

i was on the verge of giving up!!

just to clarify is that a live feed plus a ABF pump or could i just add a live to the exisiting pump?

thanks again lol [:D]

14. rubjonny

does the car even have a gti fuel pump at the moment? if it was a GU before my guess would be no! you can use a mk2 gti main + lift pump and all the lines, but if you have a good scrap yard locally it'll probably be easier to switch to mk3 golf setup. if so any mk3 petrol model for the tank, lines, fuel pump loom plus filter carrier, then you need a gti 8v, 16v or vr6 main pump :)

15. Gup16v Forum Member

i havent got under to check but i dont think it has. right thats fine, will source the parts now. theres a vw scrappy here so will go there.

16. Gup16v Forum Member

ive got the fuel pump and tank..

ive got three pipes going off it?

feed, return and whats the thrid? it doesnt come of the fuel pump rather the actual fuel pump ? is it an overflow of some sort?

as for the loom -

ive brought an additional wire to run along side the brown and purple black wire..

does anyone know which wire goes to which terminal on the fuel pump..

dont have the right number of pins on the old plug so will just crimp some spades on for now to test it etc.

any help would be great [:D]

17. Gup16v Forum Member

ive got the fuel pump and tank..

ive got three pipes going off it?

feed, return and whats the thrid? it doesnt come of the fuel pump rather the actual fuel pump ? is it an overflow of some sort?

as for the loom -

ive brought an additional wire to run along side the brown and purple black wire..

does anyone know which wire goes to which terminal on the fuel pump..

dont have the right number of pins on the old plug so will just crimp some spades on for now to test it etc.

any help would be great [:D]

18. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

If the pipe is white / clear, it is the purge line. Guessing this is from a Mk3?

CE2 fusebox plug M (black with 6 pins)

M
    1 - brn - fuel gauge sender pin 2 and GTI fuel and transfer pump earth
    2 - red/yel- GTI fuel and transfer pump
    3 - vio/blk- fuel gauge sender pin 1
    5 - blk - cassete storage illumination
    6 - brn/blu- fuel tank level sender

19. Gup16v Forum Member

cheers dude with respect to the loom..

i meant the puel pump side. normally you just stick the 3 pin plug to it.. i dont have that so im putting individual wires to each pin on the fuel pump..was wondering if anyone knew which each pin on the fuel pump is for.

20. rubjonny

get to scrap[py and cut off a plug, dont put wires to the pins thats asking for trouble. all the petrol models have a fuel pump!
    1 - fuel pump power
    2 - level sender earth
    3 - level sender feed
    4 - fuel pump earth