Fish Oil (ish) Advice

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by PeeJay, Apr 22, 2008.

1. PeeJay Forum Junkie

I know we mock our fish oil and Protien junkie members sometimes. But I wonder if anyone would mind casting your eye over this:

Chondromax

I'm suffering more and more from a sore right knee and sore and week left ankle if I do a full days Down Hill or long cross-country MTB ride. Someone recommended Fish Oil, but then another dude who used to a lot of Marshal arts recommended this stuff. It reads like it's a modern medical miracle. But I want to make sure I'm not buying snake oil, if thou knows what I mean.

2. ambrose89

ambrose89 Forum Member

3. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

my dad suffers from a ballsed up knee but hes too young to have a false one (46 and over the hill :lol: one of our neighbours said there was one she used and it was brilliant, Ill ask him tonight what it was, our neighbour sears by it now! shes never felt better.

corchodamol or something like that rings a bell, but i maybe wrong..

4. prof Forum Addict

glucosamine is good but has some side effects and does mess a bit with your insulin.

Fish oil works on loads of levels but one thing it does is actually reduce your immune function a little, which is great for modern folk as we no longer live in the dirt and eat rotting meat so a lot of modern auto immune type stuff is helped by fish oil

Peejay

10 capsules a day of fish oil and some gluco chond stuff and it should all be good

Exp Biol Med (Maywood). 2008 Apr 11 [Epub ahead of print]
    Related Articles, Links

The Importance of the Omega-6/Omega-3 Fatty Acid Ratio in Cardiovascular Disease and Other Chronic Diseases.

Simopoulos AP.

The Center for Genetics, Nutrition and Health.

Abstract Several sources of information suggest that human beings evolved on a diet with a ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 essential fatty acids (EFA) of ~1 whereas in Western diets the ratio is 15/1 - 16.7/1. Western diets are deficient in omega-3 fatty acids, and have excessive amounts of omega-6 fatty acids compared with the diet on which human beings evolved and their genetic patterns were established. Excessive amounts of omega-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA) and a very high omega-6/omega-3 ratio, as is found in today's Western diets, promote the pathogenesis of many diseases, including cardiovascular disease, cancer, and inflammatory and autoimmune diseases, whereas increased levels of omega-3 PUFA (a lower omega-6/omega-3 ratio), exert suppressive effects. In the secondary prevention of cardiovascular disease, a ratio of 4/1 was associated with a 70% decrease in total mortality. A ratio of 2.5/1 reduced rectal cell proliferation in patients with colorectal cancer, whereas a ratio of 4/1 with the same amount of omega-3 PUFA had no effect. The lower omega-6/omega-3 ratio in women with breast cancer was associated with decreased risk. A ratio of 2-3/1 suppressed inflammation in patients with rheumatoid arthritis, and a ratio of 5/1 had a beneficial effect on patients with asthma, whereas a ratio of 10/1 had adverse consequences. These studies indicate that the optimal ratio may vary with the disease under consideration. This is consistent with the fact that chronic diseases are multigenic and multifactorial. Therefore, it is quite possible that the therapeutic dose of omega-3 fatty acids will depend on the degree of severity of disease resulting from the genetic predisposition. A lower ratio of omega-6/omega-3 fatty acids is more desirable in reducing the risk of many of the chronic diseases of high prevalence in Western societies, as well as in the developing countries.

just take the damn fish oil ok

this bit

In the secondary prevention of cardiovascular disease, a ratio of 4/1 was associated with a 70% decrease in total mortality. A ratio of 2.5/1 reduced rectal cell proliferation in patients with colorectal cancer, whereas a ratio of 4/1 with the same amount of omega-3 PUFA had no effect. The lower omega-6/omega-3 ratio in women with breast cancer was associated with decreased risk. A ratio of 2-3/1 suppressed inflammation in patients with rheumatoid arthritis, and a ratio of 5/1 had a beneficial effect on patients with asthma

more fish oil makes you 70% less likely to die of heart disease and lots less likely to die of bum disease

5. vrbanana Forum Junkie

Also, keep them in the fridge [:$]

6. prof Forum Addict

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

7. vrbanana Forum Junkie

I think it said take no more than 2 a day on the tub I had

8. prof Forum Addict

it will, doesn't mean it's right

9. andypaterson Forum Member

10 a day? Is there time?

which oils would you reccomend specifically?

10. prof Forum Addict

fish oils, not cod liver oil

11. vrbanana Forum Junkie

[:s] [:s] [:s]

12. andypaterson Forum Member

So local health food shop and ask for fish oils. If you're taking 10 a day, do they come in packs of like 1000 or something?

Sorry for the retarded questions but my joints are falling apart. My neck started clicking every time i turn my head left or right, which is odd.

13. DarrenH Forum Member

thats a pain killer, albeit miss spelt

14. PeeJay Forum Junkie

Not co codamol? That's a powerfull pain killer. Not really what I'm after, and Tbh I had a bit of an incident with co codamal on Holiday last year. :lol: :lol:

Had a reasonably big accident on the 1st day riding down a trail in the alps. Took a lump of mud to the face and instead of riding around a berm (a big banked turn) I rode straight up and over it, took some pretty good air by all account and landed in a heap on top of my bike. Battered myself so I was taking 4,5,6 maybe 8 Co Codamal a day so I could keep riding, couple in the morning so I could start moving and the odd one through the day to stay loose. Anyway after 4-5 days of that I shat about 1/2 a ltr of blood (and some poo). Decided to stop self medicating at that point and had a day off to chill. There's a leason to be learned there probably.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  15. prof Forum Addict

For Andy

well what is the rest of your diet like?

you are a computer guy IIRC so you might want to go http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1546556 warning may be pictures of hot girls and blokes in pants all over the site, but the info is good

16. andypaterson Forum Member

I dont think my diet's too shabby reeeally, but i dont watch what i eat at all. Dont eat breakfast apart from on weekends when it'll be a bowl of shreddies or something, dinner will be some form of sandwich affair with a salad and probably a cookie/scone or something. Tea usually something like sausage/mash, chicken curry & rice, stews, home made soups etc.

I do tend to splash out on dohnuts and cakes every now and again though.

Oh and a few bottles of wine a week.

Will have a look at that site now :)

17. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

I never said it was spelt right :lol: and Ive just been and looked in the medi box and saw the pain killers so im guessing thats where I got that name from :lol: it was something that started with a C im sure,

18. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Crack?

19. prof Forum Addict

chondroitin

20. PeeJay Forum Junkie

I'm off to Beanfreaks after work to slap a hippy into selling e some fish oil. I may even break out the fish fingers for tea.

These 10 tablets you take a day, can you do the lot in 1 or 2 sittings? I don't want to have to drag them around all day and a typical working day for me means 12 hours out of the house.