Fish Oil (ish) Advice

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by PeeJay, Apr 22, 2008.

1. danster Forum Addict

All this talk of fish oils [:[]......... I think I'm going to dig my rod out and go get a trout for tea.

2. SKI

ski Forum Member

haha im going to go tesco's in a bit, so will buy some then.

3. SKI

ski Forum Member

Just been to tesco, washed down 2 fish oil pills and 2 vit D and calcium pills with 500ml of pomegranite juice :lol:.

It says 800mg of the vitamin D pills will that be ok?
    Also why take 10? when it says 1 on the pot?, although it seems there is no rda for fish oils.

Ill report back on how my skin is.

4. prof Forum Addict

5. danster Forum Addict

Result!! :thumbup:
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately this pic is actual size, so I put it back. The other one I caught was even smaller. [:^(]
    So it looks like pasta for tea, and the next hour spent rubbing Docking leaves into my Nettle stings and insect bites. [8(]
    Feck being healthy, I cycled for 30 minutes each way to get to the burn, only to find the landowner had installed a pair of beavers which have destroyed the trout's habitat by damming the flow and making the water all stagnant. [:x]

6. prof Forum Addict

so eat the beaver

[​IMG]

7. SKI

ski Forum Member

Well a couple of weeks on them, and its a lot better so far :).

It should hopefully clear up completely soon.

8. prof Forum Addict

stay on them tho, great for everything

9. danster Forum Addict

Is it healthy though? No point taking up yet another beaver munching bad habit.
    Oh, and while you are at it do a check on Chanterelle mushrooms too, I just picked a pound of them whilst out with the dog this morning. :p

10. prof Forum Addict

eating beaver is always good, although sometimes you need to wash it first

11. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

I was hit in the face with a wnole box of Omega 3 supplements once - I was lucky, escaped with just super-fish-oil injuries.[:$]:p

12. prof Forum Addict

bwahahahaha...

13. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

What would I be looking to have to cure my simptoms which are:

Lathargic (lazy)
    Stiff shoulder and back

I go running 3 times a week and to the gym twice.

14. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

First off you need to ensure you get adequate rest and recovery. Ideally you'd want to go to bed ~10.30 and awake naturally. Google 'circadian rhythm and lethargy' etc.

You need to ensure you are having a decent diet. Minimise junk food such as sweets, crisps, cakes etc. Eggs, fish, meat should form the bulk of your diet. eat your veg, limit fruit mind it is not all that healthy.

Maybe cut down running to twice a week? You may be overdoing it on the exercise?

Do you have stress in your life? Could be mild depression. There are so many causes for lethargy and it's not something that can just be sorted by taking a miracle supplement. You could be zinc deficient, magnesium deficit so many variables of what the cause is.

As an aside since I returned from Oz in 2004 I have never felt right, always lethargic, always feel like I'm 'burning up' etc. Been to the docs over the years with suspected 'chronic fatigue syndrome' but they never put a label on it as such as it is not a 'recognised' condition.

Since the birth of my boy (now 2) I can honestly say I have not had one lie in those 2 years. The only time we have a sitter is if we go out drinking and a hangover is not a decent sleep.

Anyway, last 6mths my symptoms of lethargy and burning up have got worse. I know in myself that it is due to lack of 'proper' sleep, taking on too much. I have essentially burnt out. I suspect adrenal fatigue.

My point is, there are so many possible causes. Funny enough I sat down with a good friend of mine and had a good chat explaining all the symptoms etc. and he said it's pretty obvious that I have mild depression. I have since been to the docs and took a paper test and he was right I have 'mild depression'. I would never have really labelled myself as 'depressed' as to be honest I enjoy life, got a lot going for me, good family, friends, half decent job etc. etc.

But it has all become clear now, that possibly all the symptoms I have suffered from all indicate 'mild depression' as it is a chemical imbalance caused by various physical and mental stresses. I'm not sad or upset if that makes sense but feel physically and mentally drained. I used to be well into my sport, gym, football, etc. but looking back over the years I genuinely think I have 'over done' it and burnt myself out.

The only time I have ever felt 'normal' again wa swhen I was in Thailand for 7 weeks and did literally nothing except relax, swim in the sea (magnesium salts) etc etc.

I have now been on a mild anti-depressant for 4 weeks so hopefully things will change if that is indeed the underlying issue.

As for back/shoulder I would suggest seeing an osteopath or sports physio. The shoulder could be a rotator cuff injury, too much use of a computer, bad posture etc etc.

The back could be due to tight hamstrings, weak abs etc. etc. If it's lower back it could be due to 'lower cross syndrome' not something that we can just say take this or do that without seeking correct advice and what the underlying cause is.

Hope that helps, it has at least let me get some stuff off my chest.

Summary - More info is required into lifestyle, diet etc etc. to suggest anything.

15. prof Forum Addict

back/shoulder is probably from shovelling sheite all day

you probably need some preventative maintenance and to build some muscle up around the areas that hurt

16. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

Been on the fish oil 2 weeks now, 2 a day, no noticable effects...

17. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

you won't have any 'noticeable' effects after 2 weeks certainly not with just 2 caps anyway!

18. b'locks Forum Addict

i'm currently on 1800mg of omega 3 a day, is that enough Prof?

19. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

That would be enough if it is indeed 1800mg of Omega 3. That would be 6 x 1000mg standard strength fish oils (ie 30%)?

20. b'locks Forum Addict

yep :thumbup:

I'm reading in some places to take like 3000mg but that seems a bit excessive? [:s]