Fish Oil (ish) Advice

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by PeeJay, Apr 22, 2008.

1. b'locks Forum Addict

I think you need to take more tbh

2. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

I took them for ages, ran out and forgot to order more, felt a bit low for a bit and my neck started cracking again from crashing too many cars. Started back on ten a day, neck is much better and the shoulder that has been really bothering me for a while when I split wood is near enough normal now. They do my mood and joints a load of good, shame I've grown gills though (non-functional).

3. mk1. Forum Junkie

4. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

I linked to the best value ones previously

5. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

here

6. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

7. b'locks Forum Addict

princes mackerel fillets contain between 3-4g of omega 3 in just 1 tin. surely eating one of those a day is far better than necking loads of expensive tablets???? :/

8. PeeJay Forum Junkie

No doubt, I'd guess the only advantage of the pills is the conveince factor.

9. WillG

WillG Forum Member

I couldn't eat a tin of mackerel every day! [xx(]

10. b'locks Forum Addict

you get mega amounts of omega 3 in just one tin though, 3000 to 4000mg!!!! why go berserk popping ridiculous amounts of pills just to get 2000mg when you can get double that just by eating a tin of mackerel? plus surely it's better to get it from the actual fish itself rather than processed into a little gelatine pill? not to mention the protein.... i don't understand [:^(][:^(][:^(]

11. PeeJay Forum Junkie

I think the best advice to anyone is to eat a balanced diet containing lots of fibre, omega3, protein, vits, mins etc etc - that's probably why most Doctors I've met are pretty anti suplements all together, but sometimes it's just not practical. I love fish, but my OH can't stand oily fish so making a fish based dinner for the family just won't work.

12. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

you are correct, but as the oily fish come from the polluted waters of today's world and toxins are stored in the fat of animals it is best to get your omega 3's from purified sources.

13. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Mackerel shouldn't be too bad though - the main concern is mercury. And that means that large fish like tuna are loads worse than small ones like mackerel, because the large fish eat the lightly contaminated small fish, and the mercury builds up in IT'S body, then you eat the big fish, and get a nice dose of mercury. Can't see small fish being a worry really. But I hate tinned mackerel.:lol:

14. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

I only tend to eat pilchards, mackerel and pollock. the rest are just too damn expensive.

Although I could not or would not want to eat this every day lol

15. b'locks Forum Addict

I have read that mackerel doesn't contain dangerous levels of mercury?

16. b'locks Forum Addict

yeah this is my understanding too.

also how can you be so sure that the fish oil pills have been purified to the extent that traces of mercury are taken out?

17. andypaterson Forum Member

18. andypaterson Forum Member

So just got 3 jars of the Tesco 1000mg Omega3 tablets. Was going to take 8 as above but it seems alot, have taken 4 and everyone in work told me i was going to die, as it says 1 per day on the carten and not to exceed the dose blah blah.

Should I space out taking them or just all at the same time?

19. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

The 1000mg is the fish oil, look on the back and shee how much epa/dha is in each one, you need roughly 1000mg of that apparently, the fish heads in here if you read above take 10+ i'm fairly sure we can't OD on fish oil, even if we freebase it

20. andypaterson Forum Member

Yeah, theres 180mg EPA and 120 DHA. I had read that you need 1000mg of those 2 combined which makes about 3-4 tablets.

My work colleagues will be laughing on the other sides of their faces when i'm a superhuman in 4 weeks. Either that or they'll be crying due to my incredibly stinky fish-breath.