Golf Mk3 VR6 Track Car Build

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by vr6smith, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Millhausen

Millhausen Forum Member

Look forward to seeing what these look like on the car when you get to it. What tyres/sizes have you decided on, if any?

2. aminder

aminder CGTI Committee - Webmaster Staff Member Admin

Are those Wings off the guys from Milton Keynes? Any idea how much wider they are against originals?

3. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

White wheels. Glutton for punishment lol

They do look ace, but oh the brake dust !. Arrgghhh [:x]

4. aminder

aminder CGTI Committee - Webmaster Staff Member Admin

Taks has been running white rims on his Mulberry Highline looked brilliant when clean.
    Got dirty very quickly just keep on top of them

vr6smith and Nige like this.
  5. vr6smith Forum Member

Thanks guys. Only goes out on track so hoping to keep the wheels clean lol

Looking at 215/40r17 federal rsr's have them on the 15" at the moment and good grip and longevity on track for the price of them.

Don't think the wings were from the guy in mk. I bought them from millhausem not sure where he got them from. I did get the bonnet from the guys in mk, good quality and the fit and finish was really good... But in fairness, so we're the wings. They are about half inch wider then the originals roughly.

6. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

I'm glad your panels were good. Mine had to go back twice to be re made. In the end had a refund but was still left out of pocket.

Tyres if you have the 8x17's I'd run a 225 all round And recommend Dunlop DZ03G.

Love the Pro Race 3's as well, have a set on the MK1

7. vr6smith Forum Member

Was that from the guys in Milton Keynes?

8. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Yes it was. Car has been sat in the bodyshop since November waiting for this to be sorted, kinda de ja vu all over again. Decided to go all Stella now and be done with it.

But on the upside had these delivered, Original Bildon ITB's

[​IMG]

Toyotec likes this.
  9. vr6smith Forum Member

Sorry 'stella'? Is that a typo?

Itb's look awesome! :thumbup:

10. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

lol Yes should be All steal, bloody auto correct.

11. vr6smith Forum Member

lol what happened to all your fibreglass parts?

12. RoccoMatt New Member

Hey there, we met at the Javelin day at Brands in Feb (I'm the fool that had the Touran diesel). I'm finally trying to get my VR back on the road and as part of that have been looking at the Iztech fibreglass wings for mine (as the standard ones have rotted out at the bottom like most)and now see that you've got them fitted (wish I'd had a proper look at the track day...
    Anywho, mine's going to be a 50/50 road and track hack, but as a result I'm wondering what you've done about arch liners/extra undersealing if you're not running them. Any info greatly received.

Also, how much was it to get the wings painted? Just so I've got a ballpark figure when getting quotes.

Matt

13. vr6smith Forum Member

Hi mate, I remember you yes lol not the weirdest thing I've seen on a track day but it went well!

As my car is only track going I don't have the wheel arch liner protection, it didn't fit with my fibreglass wings as the wings are wider and have not fittings for the liner.

I think I paid 200 for both wings to be painted, but opted for the fibreglass primer rather than universal.

I'm sure we will bump into each other on another track day, really itching to get mine on track again but can't plan any yet due to house move... Which is taking far too long. Never move house!!!

14. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Hi Matt,

I have a set of brand new mk3 fiberglass wings here and you can have them for 100 if you can pick them up

15. RoccoMatt New Member

Hey guys, thanks for the replies and sorry for taking so long to reply myself - life has been a bit bonkers recently!

@vr6smith, thanks for the info on paint. I'm going to go have a word with a local coach works place that VW Heritage used to use (as it was round the corner from their place in Burgess Hill before they moved to Shoreham a year or so ago) as it's next door to the place that's been recommended for paint mixing (the joys of trying to get a semi decent match to 20 year old LC4P...) and will see what they say.

RE the arch liners, I may offer up the inner arches to the fibreglass wings and see if I can glass in some fixing points to give me the option as I plan to still use it on the road in all conditions a fair bit and would like to limit the inner arch damage.

@Pascal, that sounds mightily tempting. Where abouts are you based and are you looking to get rid of them imminently? I've got a long list of bits that need sorting and a finite amount of free time and money at the moment but am very much interested.

16. nezzi21 Forum Member

Just read this front start to finish. Car looks awesome and some amount of work has gone into it. I am about to start my own VR6 track car.

One question is have you weighed this? Interested to see how light you have got it with the panels and weight saving inside.

17. vr6smith Forum Member

Hi, thanks for the feedback.

Not had it weighed at all so can only guess to the savings. Good luck with your build, be sure to start a thread on it :thumbup:

18. nezzi21 Forum Member

Will do, just waiting on my other mk3 arriving so i can transfer my wheels amd interior over. Then i will start the stripping process ready for the cage etc.

19. RoccoMatt New Member

Me again! Mine is finally coming together as a first track build (with more engine work lined up for next year) ready for it's first outing at Brands on the 1st Dec (booked due to 30th birthday present Javelin vouchers need using and not due to wanting to shun the CGTI event on the next day).

I managed to pick up a cracking deal from another CGTIer damper-wise and have ended up with a slightly oddball mixed setup front to rear from an ex mk2 racer allegedly (shouldn't really be an issue, it's never bothered me with downhill mtb setup). Its a set of seriously low mileage KW clubsport front dampers and Gaz Gold rears. I've opted for the same spring rate as a few other people run on mk2's as a starting point - 10kg/560lb front and 8kg/450lb rear springs - to see how it fares. I appreciate this is different to your setup but mine is still going to be used on the road occasionally and is only on AD08s at the moment rather than you slicks.

After all that, my question is, where do you run your rear damping? I'm just after a ballpark figure as I've got no history with Gaz parts and want to try and tune work nicely with the fronts. I appreciate as mentioned that I'm running different springs, the vehicle weight and balance balance will be different and different wheels and tyres, but something remotely close is going to be easier than starting from full hard and incrementing.

I'm going to try and get off my backside (in between actually finishing the car) and kick off a build thread so I can track progress and hopefully help others as yours has helped me.

Hope it's been going well this year and look forward to catching up again at a track at some point in the future.

Matt

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  20. vr6smith Forum Member

Hi Matt,

glad your car is coming on well, no real progress on mine other than getting ready for a gearbox rebuild changing the final drive and all bearings etc. New Kitchen has taken priority! Planning to start on the box and have it done for next years nice weather to start taking it out again.

With regards to the dampening settings, I have a good feel for the car and adjust to suit the weather on the day and track i am at. This comes with time so you know the car and also in turn the track.

I would suggest doing some runs with the dampening set to the lowest point, feeling how the car handles. Then turning it right up, doing a run (rattling your teeth out) and this will give you a real feel for what the effects of the suspension adjustments are in their complete opposites. Then stick it half way, run the car and you will know from the first two drives if you would like to go up a few clicks or down, and also front to rear.

I always run lower in wet weather and turn it up for slicks in the dry, then tracks with alot of gradient changes like brands, Donington and rockingham go middle and tune from there, too high and the car can skip/bounce around a little loosing grip. More Level circuits like Bedford and Silverstone can take a higher setting.

Hope that helps, your car and driving style will make a difference as initially it will be the setting that gives you more confidence to go faster in the car than the actual best setting for the car. Once you know the car and how it reacts, like where it over steers and under steers, weight shifting when braking etc you can really make a difference with the adjustments.

RoccoMatt likes this.