Gwendoline the golf

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Cressa, Aug 14, 2021.

1. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Well I sourced a replacement starter motor and had already purchased a new Bush for the gearbox housing. Tried the Bush on the shaft and it is too small so didn't get to fit either. I found the Bush was quite easy to remove by screwing an old bumper bolt in. A simple job that cant be finished
    20221124_123154.jpg

2. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Well what have I attempted to do recently....
    I bought some new driveshafts from GSF and must say I was very impressed as they came well packaged and with new bolts and gaskets.
    I thought I could then fit the hubs but it turns out i have the incorrect size balljoints which I actually purchased last year. So if anyone wants a 19mm pair, it will only cost the postage for you.
    I have started putting replacement hoses on after repainting all the hose clamps in a jade green that I had matched for the rear of the inner spotlights. Not quite got all the hoses yet. Starter motor Bush in and a new old type starter fitted.
    I am hoping to put it all back to the standard look but am unsure on some of the wiring routes on the engine.
    I replaced a front brake pipe that I had accidentally cut and thought I would get chance to bleed the system, but couldn't find the front pads I had to fit..
    Its definitely been one of those weeks where no matter what you try to achieve, everything is a slog. Something familiar to us all at some point I am sure. So I shut the bonnet and walk away.

Attached Files:

Zender Z20 and erreesse like this.
  3. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

I know what you mean by those weeks, two steps forward and three back…. Shutting the bonnet for a reset is a good idea. Keep going it will be all worth it in the end.
    I’ll take those ball joints off you please.

Cressa likes this.
  4. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Painting the hose clamps..

Now that's dedication.

5. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

sad I know. I'm clearly in no rush to get her back on the road

6. MJA

MJA Paid Member Paid Member

I know what you mean when you get the phases of needing to shut the bonnet and take a break. Do look back at what you have achieved to date. I always underestimate how much i can achieve and I also have issues on waiting for parts that I loose motivation becuase no progress is made.

On my mk3 i only need to do the cambelt, waterpump etc and service and it's ready for MOT but lost the motivation currently and what makes it worse is that I'll probably sell it (as have the mk2 16v) so I don't even have the motivation of using it when it is done!

7. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

Yup... sometimes it's a struggle, colder weather now, parts taking an age to arrive, things not quite going as hoped, list goes on.

It's restorations like yours that I've the greatest respect for - working in the restrictions of a home garage, no access to a proper lift and a limited range of tools yet still getting the exceptional results you are.

Stick with it, take your time, but know it will be finished and you'll barely even remember the harder times.

8. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks Gents. Today I may have just picked up a bargain. A front and centre box Magnex stainless steel exhaust, unused and for only £50.
    I think it may be a good deal, but if there are issues with this system please shout up. The 1st box is longer than an original and the 2nd seems slightly smaller
    If all okay then only a back box to source one day. No rush eh

Attached Files:

erreesse likes this.
  9. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Like most this month, not much happening. I did manage to get another manifold, have it blasted and said painted it at work yesterday. I used Eastwoods high temperature paint and it does look good. Whether it last though, who knows..
    Maybe over xmas I may get some time on the car as I don't finish my last night shift until xmas morning
    20221223_110340.jpg 20221223_110328.jpg

10. PhilRyder

That looks great. What colour did you paint it, hopefully clear?

11. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

I wish. After blasting it still looked a dirty cast colour so thought I would try the eastwoods paint to give it some bling.
    Sounds daft but this was an easy to use spray which covered very easily

12. PhilRyder

Oh! Is that the paint finish in the picture? Looks excellent :thumbup:

Cressa likes this.
  13. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks . I was definitely impressed with the paint finish which had very good reviews and better than the VHT I have used before.
    I intend on doing the same with the downpipe but was concerned it may be cracked, so... I sealed up the manifold end with some gasket sealant and a block of timber. Fitted some hose to the exhaust end which I connected to a breathing apparatus cylinder at work and dunked it in a big barrel of water. All on xmas eve!!! No leaks so this is good to go.
    The only reason I did this was my concern that it may be blowing, due to me letting the exhaust hang freely one day. Maybe the manifold was blowing as that needed a weld but I have swapped it for this one. Or maybe the joint to the 1st box was rubbish as i definitely heard it blowing. Maybe next year things will get easier with this car

14. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Today I found some time and managed to fit the downpipe, heatshield and manifold. Luckily with the manifold off the downpipe went straight down, result. I bolted them all together and to the cylinder head and found that I couldn't fit the damned heatshield in situ so took it all off again and started again.
    Unfortunately I can't get a decent picture of it. I did think about fitting the exhaust up to it, but as usual couldn't find the hangers I purchased. Talking of hangers, it just seems strange that from the downpipe until the end of the 1st box there are no supports...... I just expected something at the front, or have I missed something?
    Pics to follow

15. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Pictures as promised 20230108_144116.jpg 20230112_152127.jpg 20230112_152127.jpg

Attached Files:

caddyboet likes this.
  16. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

And I have started stripping down the fuel regulator/housing and fuel distributor. This is going to be fun
    20230113_204355.jpg

erreesse and caddyboet like this.
  17. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Progress after a clean and paint, clear lacquer on the aluminium air part.
    Just need to find some circlip and start the important strip down. The aluminium parts were gummed up in places with a varnish coating, from the fuel I suppose

Attached Files:

Zender Z20, erreesse and caddyboet like this.
  18. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Managed to fit the inlet manifold today and realised I wont be able to fit a heat shield to the bulkhead now that it is on Not that I can seem to locate the clips on these that fit around the brake pipe clips. Surely someone reproduces them!
    Things are slowly going back together

Attached Files:

19. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Some parts have arrived so I need to pull my finger out. The fuel distributor is back together and I decided on getting new injector hoses. HEL has been the choice ( not many to choose from really)
    I put a note on the order asking for black coated to the WUR as that is what they are originally and stainless for the injector lines, which they were happy to do. Turned up within 5 days, so great service. The only downside with replacements are that they do not do the exact bends etc. No disrespect to HEL but I may cut their logo rubber tags off as I want it original looking, sorry.
    I also had a sump decision to make, do I get new or refurb. New being easier, but a skinnier lighter metal against powdercoating which he charged me £20
    I have also received a lower bulkead heatshield that needs some TLC before fitting. I don't want to ruin the paintwork due to lack of protection

Attached Files:

caddyboet and Zender Z20 like this.
  20. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

I thought I would try to get a little further with the car. I fitted the powder coated sump with some 16mm stainless bolts, but one snapped on me last weekend and delayed this being fitted. Damn that was a ball ache to drill out and re-tap. Anyway, all fitted and I removed the rocker cover to fill it all up with 4 litres of VWs 10w40
    I then decided to fit some of the brake vacuum hose system and this too was a pain as I had to drain and remove the brake fluid reservoir to fit the first hose I also found that the upper bulkhead heatshield I had fitted is no good as it is in the way of the pipework, so this has gone. In doing all of this I have managed to break a plastic one way valve connected to all of this ...come on, give me a break. And the new master cylinder has rust around the brake pipe connections, so that ain't good.
    But it can all be overcome, so we shall see if I can make a little better progress tomorrow, fingers crossed

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2023
    PhilRyder likes this.