HD DVD or Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by PhatVR6, Jan 1, 2008.

1. b'locks Forum Addict

hd-dvd had the edge mainly due to it being cheaper as it had less capacity and a lower bandwidth speed. also some gui features i think which bluray didn't have but now does have.

anyway at this moment in time, bluray is the better format technically, it's just a matter of the price coming down.

2. pRot3us Forum Junkie

I am slightly annoyed that the consumer has lost out on this one,HD DVD was the better format and deserved to win, personally it doesn't really bother me as I'm dual format.

Have a read back through the thread for my views on HD DVD vs Blu-ray.

One good thing that has come out of the 'war' though is that Blu-ray is a much better format because of it, basically through copying HD-DVD's superior features that were there from day one.

If it was only Blu-ray from day one we would have a very poor HD media format indeed.

Theres absolutely no need for anywhere near that capacity for 1080p movies, even with uncompressed LPCM sound.

3. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Not untill 1440p anyway....But i still dont think that will be near 100GB!;)

4. pRot3us Forum Junkie

1080p is a large as the home will ever need really, unless 200"+ screens become the norm, which they won't

Although the next logical resolutions would be 2k and 4k which would be getting near to 35mm film quality. ;)

5. golf2 Forum Member

I predicted it because it's higher resolution than HD-DVD and the PS3 is Bluray only. This dramatically increased Bluray sales which is why the big movie names have swayed towards it.

6. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

does that mean they'll bring transformers out on blu ray now?

7. b'locks Forum Addict

8. andypaterson Forum Member

Maybe you're being shortsighted. I remember when i was younger, i couldn't see how TV quality could possibly get any better. What could be better than my cousins 28" Square Panasonic CRT and a VHS player with dual heads or whatever!

There will always be people who are bitter about this, because they probably bought HD DVD players, same as people who bought Betamax units even though they were 'superior' in some ways. Really would have been a better idea to sit it out until a winner was decided eh!

It's good that there's standardisation now, everyone working on the same format will make that format better and better. Will be interesting to see what happens to the x-box 360 though. Wonder if they'll bring out a Blu Ray drive for it?

9. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Thats one im waiting for too[8(]

10. pRot3us Forum Junkie

What the hell are you on about, they are both the same resolution [:s]

Most people who bought the PS3 neither have the hardware to do HD movies justice or indeed give a damn about the fact it can play HD movies, its a games machine that happens to have a Blu-ray player. How many people bought playstations to watch dvds?

A few fat back-handers from Sony more like. The Blu-ray hardware sales were totally wrongly skewed/biased though, counting PS3 sales as Blu-ray player sales (see above). Toshiba really went wrong with its marketing though (or virtually complete lack of) while Sony got right behind their product.

11. Aphex Forum Junkie

Hey, the bluray player is part of my excuse to buy a ps3. It's a media station, honest :lol:

12. Nordoff Forum Junkie

I guess i'd be bitter too if i hadn't sat it out till it was down to one format

13. pRot3us Forum Junkie

Whos bitter? [:[]

I own both formats and my HD DVDs are hardly going to stop working overnight.

In fact I'll probably be buying a lot more as HD DVD bargains/sales are inevitable :)

14. golf2 Forum Member

Sorry getting confused with 720p and 1080p bollox :lol:

And btw, the MAIN reason I bought a PS3 is because it's a Bluray player!!! I wanted to make the most of my 1080p TV and the PS3 was the cheapest option for Bluray as ive said many times before in all the other threads.

Thats why im so pleased they've scrapped HD DVD because ive been buying loads of Bluray movies for the PS3 [:D]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008