How much quicker IS a stripped car ?

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by GVK, Dec 8, 2005.

1. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Thank f**k :lol:

2. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

High 1:16's I seem to remember for one of Maurice's cars (on pukka track
    rubber) and Bill has done 1:17's in beeza on track rubber - although IMO,
    with new engine and Mitch slicks or similar, would now be also in the 1:
    16's. Bills old Jetta, on sticky road rubber (48's or similar) 1:22 / 1:21.
    Never been there myself. 3-4 secs would seem fair on a lap of this length
    for road tyres / slicks and 888's / 48's etc would be somewhere in the
    middle.
    Edited by: RobT

3. ianb Forum Member

Best time at Coombe was 1.22 in CFJ on Dunlop Formula R's...don't know what difference what slicks would have made over the Inters as I never tried them.

Alex...going much quicker than that wasn't possible in my car unless I made further mods making it into a race spec car. Getting into sub 1.20 means a seriously quick track i.e. power/weight...no contest against a MK2 valver road spec.

Gary....Coombe is boring....but it is a nice quick flowing track and local for me....hence my ventures further a field this year...The Ring beckons in 2006.

Agree about expenditure on your car....fun is all about being able to comfortably budget on your car and yet give a few surprises to others along the way.
    My MKIV has cost me alot recently but most of that has gone on the handling and brakes for safety reasons on track.
    Power upgrades are a huge investment of dead money IMO (especially MKIV).I won't be trashing the MKIV as much on track as I did the MK2 and an IHI is out of the question...may consider the JBS K04 replacement..a big maybe.
    As Bill mentioned on another thread one of the best options for pace and road use is Mitsubishi Evo 6 onwards. That = out the box no mods 1.18 a lap at Coombe....to be had for as little as 10k...good value ...not so good everyday..sub 20mpg [:^(]
    As long as you get the most out of it long term and you keep the car for a good few years providing it doesn't break.

Ian

4. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

In me old Jetta high 1m22s laps on 032R rubber from memory. Ibiza 1m17s laps on 205-50-15 R888's on old engine. New engine and something like clio cup slicks I can imagine an easy 2 secs of these times. Tyres are so important to absolute times.. power is handy but worthless and disproportional to lap times in my own experience.

5. badger5

My recent trip for testing (on a TTOC day) was on road rubber.. some old F1's to see what my times are likely to be for next years c'ship where I have to run road rubber from list 1a. 2 secs slower than summer times on R888's but with new pokier engine.. Only shagged F1's on my 16" rims so was quite happy with the times for a cold decembers day, exploring the new engine and power delivery. Was no where near 10/10 driving so feel quite comfortable with my target of 1m16/17 times needed to be competetive next year. Lots of work to do to shave times from weight, suspension, new wheel & tyre combination (phat!) - Noticed bumps I have never felt before tho at the higher power level.. Going to be tricky.

6. badger5

5 secs for slicks? Hmmm. I dont think they would give me that much if I ran em. One day tho I would love to try.

Combe is'nt overly entertaining in the corners front, but having done the ring a few times now, everywhere is boring now. DOH! Cadwell is ok, Oulton is fun and more flowing & faster. Combe is fast and bumpy and always a challenge to go faster, but that goes for any circuit you do lots of laps around.
    The most boring to look at is Thurxton to me.. not ever done it and dont relish the thought of destroying my nsf tyre round the fast back of circuit. fast and ballsy tho.

7. badger5

[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

methinks Ian has a tubsport watch...1:22 LOL....observers on the day say
    it was more like 1:24, still whats a couple of seconds :lol:
    Edited by: RobT

9. GVK

Basically that's what me, Alex and Ianv have been saying, this year we would like to do different circuits instead of same old same old, I will do the odd Cadwell dates as they come up as it's just so much fun to drive and less than an hour from here, ave it!

Very seldom see a track day, if ever at Thruxton, the back end of the circuit (Church etc) looks very ballsy.

10. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Be great fun to see some of you guys at Oulton, my local - some seriously
    ballsey bends (island and druids especially, full track needed though for
    full 'island experience', international circuit, also get to run round shell
    oils hairpin that is almost like the karussel)

11. GVK

We're doing Oulton full int. circuit next month for the first time Rob,really looking forward to it. :thumbup:

Not ideal weather more than likely but,we'll wait and see :p
    Edited by: GVK

12. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

See if any of you get under 2:10...(yes its a long lap if you do
    international circuit)

Hope its a nice day, its a cracking track.

13. ianb Forum Member

Rob

1.22 was the best time I achieved on a clear track at the last RS day and one of the best at Brunters on the 16V shootout.

On average with others on track it hovered between 1.23 to high 1.24 and it was ultra reliable getting me to work everyday 25 mile roundtrip,30mpg and 6-8 trackdays a year.That's what I call fun....all on K jet...cheap as chips.
    Biggest issue's laterly was the dreaded 020 box which gave me grief twice.

Out of interest my valver when it was just a 1.8 with a diff polished head and manifolfd exhaust Koni's etc was on average only 2 secs a lap slower.Set up is key to good times, not just power...just look at Mr Mcintyre's 8V Golf...very light and very track focused..

Still respectable times for an old Kjet wagon with with minimal outlay compared to some people who budget far more than I ever did.

14. badger5

and the odd flywheel falling off.

15. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

just a thought Gary....stop taking passengers out!

16. GVK

It does make a lot of difference Paul, as Nick rightly says in his post :lol:

Last track day at Cadwell I was flying in the afternoon, one up!! [:D]

17. spnracing Forum Member

Can only speak for my Mk1 but roughly 50-60KG = 1 sec/lap on the average circuit. On my first shell I went to great lengths to run below minimum weight and add ballast low down on the car floor - I replaced the remote mirrors with std ones, took off all the sound deadening, even cut some bolts that stuck out the end of nuts etc.

Now I'm older and wiser I just concentrate on trying to stay on the track and keeping the guy behind me behind me.

I wouldn't bother with any of this for a road car. It won't be any more fun going 1-2 secs quicker and you just get a headache driving home!

18. spnracing Forum Member

Thruxton is without a doubt the most exciting circuit of them all - get through the complex and then its flat out hanging on for dear life until the chicane (on a good day...).

Peter N (current CT lap record holder at.. Thruxton)

19. badger5

I agree it looks fast, and thats exciting roudn church etc, but the place just does'nt look like it would float my boat like somewhere like Oulton or Cadwell.

One day I'll go there and see for myself.. might find it my fave track (but eating NSF tyres is a real concern on my car)

20. fthaimike Forum Addict

Gary if your still using your car for daily use i would be hard pushed to strip it mate as my mk1 is ok for a weekend drive but i don't think i could put up with it every day (headache tablets anyone?).

The one plus side i suppose is it's a FREE mod but depending on how far you go there's no turning back.

I'd opt for the cage myself but that's another problem for a daily driver.........will your rear seats fit? will the door bars get on your nerves as a daily driver.....etc

One point mind........

A stripped car should be quicker but does there come a point when there's just not enough weight going into the driving wheels so you suffer from traction or does this effect RWD more?