How much quicker IS a stripped car ?

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by GVK, Dec 8, 2005.

1. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Whole point of the thread really Simon, was how much quicker could a car go on track if you stripped it to the bare essentials..., if it's only a few tenths, I'll leave it as it is so it's no more uncomfortable than it already is now for road use.

2. altern8 Forum Junkie

gary whats left in your car anyway [:$]

3. GVK

Carpet, door cards, standard passenger seat, headlining, dash, all the pillar trims , centre console.

No rear seat/shelf/supports and OMP RS side mounted race seat.

4. fthaimike Forum Addict

When you say carpet Gary does that include that thick soundproofing especially in the foot wells? because this can weigh a bit & also retain damp over the years that also adds to it.

5. GVK

There is some soundproofing in the front foot wells Mike,and probably damp too as you say.

As I said in the other thread, it's all each to their own with these track day cars and how far you go with them,but just how much quicker would the car go, and how much more horrible would it be on the road?

Not worth putting up with the increased noise for a second a lap, not for me anyway. :)

6. ianb Forum Member

It really will be like a tin can removing the carpets,,more civilised with them in. Certainly be hard pushed to see much of a performance gain on removing just carpets....looks like your heading towards a total track toy

Ian

7. fthaimike Forum Addict

Gary how noisy did you find mine when you drove it? as that had no carpets or main soundproofing but still had the secondary sound proofing (that tar stuff poured on the floor & bulkhead in the factory.

I can live with it but then again it's just a weekend fun car mind as i run a 2nd car.

8. I V - mk1 16v Forum Member

What? what? sonny you'll have to speak up. :lol:

Anyway thats what earplugs are for. ;)

Actually tbh the other day i was thinking about putting a carpet back into my mk1, can't see it making a lot of difference performance wise and it might make the car a bit more bearable for the journey upto Oulton and tidy up the inside a bit.

Didn't go any further with it 'cos A. i already threw it away and B. i think it might look a bit odd with the rest of the interior missing. [:s]

As for your car I personally think you should leave your interior how it is now, even when you get a cage.
    Mine must weigh heaps less than yours, but whilst it might be a bit quicker, in all honesty there's not a massive different and most of that is probably down to my superior driving anyway. :p

9. iguana Forum Member

Yeah been pulling all the carpets out to fit the cage I've just wipped out my soundproofing from under front & rear carpets (left the stuff on the bulkhead)& I'd had a leak for ages & even tho I'd dried it out & the carpet was dry, all the soundproofing was still damp & pretty heavy, but not much really in the overall scheme of things.

But then again if i was after ultimate weight loss I'd not still have a huge heavy diesel starter motor, central locking pump, sunroof, corrado seats, steel bonnet & boot lid, & glass instead of plexi etc etc :p :lol:

10. barny Forum Member

There is a lot of weight that can be removed from a mk2, but as GVK says how does x amount of kg's = what difference in speed.

When lumpy was on the road, taking all the weight out made a hell of a difference, but the cage added a lot back in and i didnt much driving time between the two.

For a daily driver i found the noise quite discomforting. I think lumpy cams a very stiff suspension wasn't as bad as the very load drone from the exhaust and hearing every single stone hitting the floor.

I must be getting old ... [:s]

11. I V - mk1 16v Forum Member

And lardy lizard :p
    Edited by: I V - mk1 16v

12. GVK

:lol::lol: :clap:

You do pedal well mate

Why do you think I'm always after tips from the Finchmeister? ;)

13. GVK

I might have to lose some weight to couter-act these new heavy mofo ARBs,arrived today - they're monsters! :lol:

14. iguana Forum Member

You shut ya noise finchy, lard lizard wagon was still was glued to the rear of the fly weight AND lsd equiped finch mobile 'eh ;)

15. GVK

Mike, didn't take much notice how noisy the mk1 was, as it was only a short blat up the road and back, what with my regular 300 mile round trip to Claire's (A14/M6/M42/M5) it's something that has to be taken into consideration. [:$]

16. GVK

Yeh, wonder why? :lol:

17. I V - mk1 16v Forum Member

I was having a off day [:|] , probably tired from the lizard keeping me up all night with his incestant yakking. [:x]
    Edited by: I V - mk1 16v

18. iguana Forum Member

Gary just had a thought- why does CGTI use your holiday photoes as smilies...

GVK with a bit of sunburn- [:$]

GVK with lots of sunburn- [:x]

GVK seasick- [xx(]

GVk with sunglasses on [:-B]

etc etc

:lol:
    Edited by: iguana

19. iguana Forum Member

Dont worry finchy, now with the new slimline lizard plums im sure the normal track order of things will be restored & I'll be back to being almost as slow as GVK :lol:

20. GVK

Yeh, yeh yeh :lol::lol:

Anyway, everytime I saw you at Cadwell you were 'on a cool down lap'

Get back on your rock :p