Insurance...

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by Dietrich, May 20, 2004.

1. Dietrich Forum Member

*Scroll down* - *LAST PAGE*

I got my new car today - ended up getting a bit lost and having to do 200 miles to get home. [:D] First time on the motorway, first time in a quick car for any extended period of time, etc...

Anyway, I got mum to call Tesco earlier to get my insurance sorted out. They laughed. :( Gotta' be 21+, apparently.

So anyway, I got a MK3 GTI 8v. It's listed as a group 14 car (I did check that much before I bought it)... Where's the problem? Mate's insured on his group 13 through his dad with no NCB for under 1k, and his old group 14 Civic was only 500 through his dad with 5 years NCB.

I'm up for paying anything in the region of 1.5k for the privilege as a named driver... Admiral quoted me about 1500 on my own for a MK2 (also group 14) but I don't think mum could get anything out of them on the phone earlier.

Obviously I've got a lot of ringing round to do tomorrow, but do any companies like young drivers with 0 years NCB and fast cars? [:D]

Tom
    Edited by: Ghost

2. Claypole Forum Junkie

Those three little letters - GTI ! ;)

3. Dietrich Forum Member

But... It's got an immobiliser. [:D]

Damnit, I should probably have looked into this a bit more. [:D]

Tom

4. dooosuk Forum Member

Immobiliser won't stop you crashing it though!

Good luck getting it sorted. I was 21 when I got my car and insured it through my mum. It was insured with Sabre at the time. My mother and I both had 0 no claims at the time.

5. V6 Baby New Member

I found Elephant.co.uk good, also you may want to try admiral...

a couple of things that lowered my insurance:
    - say you do less than 8,000 miles a year
    - have named drivers that are older than you - like your mum, sisters + brothers
    - if you have a garage, always say its parked in there overnight!

Good luck! :)

6. b'locks Forum Addict

i bought a mk3 16v when i was 23 and that cost me 1200 to insure.....a year later the premium HALVED. [:s]

7. Andy_T4 Forum Member

True for some, but then many companies base the premium on the youngest named driver - then it helps to add a female driver who is a year younger than yourself! ;)

8. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

insurance is a mystery mate, just gotta keep ringing around and hope for the best.
    and as regards to young drivers on fast cars:
    o ncb
    p reg rover 200 with:
    k series t16 turbo engine and engine mods, mg zr bumpers, etc etc

all declared for 1200 quid, think thats tpft, not sure with adrian flux.

but another mate with a rover coupe turbo- same engine with adrian flux, 2 yrs ncb, sp30 pays 1800 quid on limited mileage!

whereas i pay 450 quid @ 19 on the mk3 driver with 2 yrs.....

good luck!

9. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

actually that could be tesco for 2nd lad, so they do insure young drivers, it's group 18!!

10. Dietrich Forum Member

Bah, this sucks.

What do they have against me?!

Cheapest quote for me on my own is 3200. Cheapest quote for me as a named driver is 2700. Gonna' be doing a lot of calling round tonight. I don't even mind paying slightly silly money until I hit 19 / have had my licence for a year in September...

Mum's been speaking to insurance companies about it and basically because I'm only 18 nobody will touch me.

Still, I'll say it's garaged (it will be if nobody insures me) with a Laserline Thatcham 2 immobiliser on < 8k per year. To be honest, all of the above's true.

Whhyyy meee. [:s]

Tom

11. AndrewF Forum Addict

wow, thats pricey..i'm 23 and pay 590 FC on a vr6! [:s]

12. V6 Baby New Member

where do you live - perhaps change your postcode :lol:

Sounds like you are getting shafted.. What about doing just 3rd party? That probably wont make that much difference though!

13. b'locks Forum Addict

i only had 1 year no claims and been driving for only 2 years, which is probably why.

14. alunwm Forum Member

Oh, the joys of being old!!

230 TPFT. [:D]

15. MrBen Forum Junkie

Why did you buy a car without getting a quote first?! At 18, you are always going to struggle to insure a Gp 14 car. Have you tried Elephant?

16. golf1.6cl Forum Member

Spot on. just get a girl friend from college/work/ whatever thats slighty younger than you, put them as a named driver, it'll knock it down a load.

17. Dietrich Forum Member

Because... Planning's for girls.

My argument is: my mate's had both group 14 and 13 cars insured (at ages 18 and 19 respectively) without any problems. He paid 500 for the group 14 with 5 years NCB as a named driver and 1000 for the group 13 with 0 years NCB as a named driver. All I want is a quote with me as a named driver 3rd party for less than 1800 (that's 150 per month! :o).

I'll start calling around... Anyone got any numbers handy?

Tom

18. Dietrich Forum Member

Right...

Just before I advertise my car for sale (I bought it yesterday) I'll have another go at this insurance lark.

I've been calling and calling... Elephant will do it for 2300 per year or 500 up front then 211 per month.

If I had the money, I would. I don't.

I can't understand why the hell they're being so anal. As I keep saying my mate's got decent cars at my age. [:x]

Is there anything I can try? Anyone who's likely to do it 3rd party limited mileage for < 2000?

Either that or I have to sell it ASAP, as I need to be on the road to get to work / exams etc.

Tom

19. muppet Forum Member

did you get a quote before you bought the car? If you did ring them back and tell 'em what they quoted you.
    It worked for me, i was 19 and they said i had to be 21, I told them they gave me a Quote the previous day, They checked their records and said they had to honour it.

MK1 GTI at 19, no points, 2 years NCD = 950. :thumbup:

Edit: Fully comp.
    Edited by: muppet

20. superden Forum Addict

2k for insurance ? F*ck that ... get a bike [xx(]