Insurance...

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by Dietrich, May 20, 2004.

1. AndrewF Forum Addict

is indeed...always a big moment when you get to 4 yrs NCD, cause they let you protect it [:D]

2. edc1 Forum Member

Re classics:

One of my mates has the worst accident record I can think of. He drives a Cinqucento at the mo but has had a few eligible classics of late including an Imp and a Midget.

He just picked up a Locost (Caterham wannabe, looky likey) with a Ford x-flow engine) for 610. Granted it's not road ready yet but his net spend should be 1k and it'll be ready to rock and roll for the summer. It's a 1.3 and insurance is not that much.

If you want some proper fun then this is cheap and easy (ish) but @ 18 years old this sort of car does not look that cool in the college carpark, no room for ICE (especially since weight is a major factor), and some ppl will think you are an 'old man'.
    Edited by: edc1

3. JEZ

Jez Forum Member

I was paying about 800 TPFT on a mk2 gti 8v with no NCB at 19 (5 years ago mind).

Insurance is just getting so damn expensive nowadays. I did an online quote with elephant 4 months ago for fully comp on a 2001 mk4 1.8T...460 with 3 yrs NCB. Did another quote the other night for same car, but with 4 yrs NCB and it came out at 630 WTF?!!

Think they pick numbers at random...bit of a lottery, especially as elephant also quoted me 600 fully comp on a supra twin turbo...

4. edc1 Forum Member

But risk is not calculated solely on how much power or how fast the car goes!

5. cforehead Forum Member

I'm not being funny or anything, I have great
    sympathy with your plight (although I do agree with
    all of what's been written about un-insured drivers.
    Insurance is all about insuring against the risk of
    you having an accident. Irrespective of weather you
    did have an accident, there is a much higher risk of
    you having one than an older more experienced
    driver).

I think you should put your 140bhp aspirations on
    hold for a while!

6. Gavin J Forum Member

Have look in the back of Max power, its a poo mag but there is loads of insurance companies in the back of there....

Good luck..

7. AndrewF Forum Addict

i always think that bizarre...if you were an insurance company would you want to be insuring most of the muppets who read that?! [:s]

8. edc1 Forum Member

Its business - who cares. They set the premium levels, calculate the risk and make the money and profits.

9. Guests Banned

brentacre want 1000 quid for my mk3 upto 180bhp with any body/wheel mods and my mk2 with wheel mods. i never thought i would be glad to hit 30

10. Dietrich Forum Member

Well I got insured...

...on my step-dad's 1.0 Suzuki Alto. :(

Got a few last calls to make (trying to get Elephant to insure me for 200 per month (2400 per year! :o) but without the 500 they want up front)... Also got a guy coming to look over the car tomorrow to see if he wants it.

I'm a bit gutted really - it's absolutely gorgeous and a pleasure to drive with its luxuries... Perhaps I'll be saving for a few more months and going for the 1.8 MK3, even though it's damn tempting to go for the 131BHP Prelude which is apparently fine for a guy of my age to drive because it doesn't have a GTI badge in sight. [:s]

Tom

11. Claypole Forum Junkie

I can see the argument about collecting it without insurance but I'm not going to comment as I've done it to fetch a car I bought so I'm in no position to sl*g anyone off but myself, I knew it was wrong and I'm old enough to know better.
    Then again I'll get on my soapbox about anyone who drinks anything and goes out in their car as I don't fullstop...

As someone has suggested ring "everyone" no matter how crappy or cheap their ads look.

Bottom line with insurance is to start with your going to get shafted until you are a bit older and have some no claims behind you. 50% off the 2400 is 1200 which doesn't sound as bad?

Kid at work is 17 and has been quoted 1300 3rd party on a 1.3 Toyota Corolla so they are not just out to get you.

I paid 1200 for fully comp on a Corrado VR6 a few years ago, today I got a quote from Elephant for a laugh and could have a TVR Cerbera 4.2 for half that...

Insurance is a load of crap...

12. Guests Banned

try more than they are dishing out free no claims at the mo.

13. Dietrich Forum Member

More Than... Think you need to be over 21. [:s]

Tom

14. Dr Delirium Forum Member

I apologise for getting personal about it but it seemed to me you weren`t adding anything constructive just knocking ghost. You may not have much sympathy but you should do, the reason people don`t pay insurance is because its damn overpriced. Paying for driving when your young is awful, 200 on lessons at least, then its 500 for a car + mods etc. Then they whack you with tax and over a grand to insure it. If that wasn`t bad enough you pay through the nose for petrol and if you do crash they`ll try and find any reason they don`t have to payout, not to mention chastising you for even daring to make a claim. What a great system :clap:
    Your sweeping generalisation about young drivers is only half true, the reason we understand is because we`re in the same boat (unless your parents are lottery winners).

15. Dietrich Forum Member

Final update. [:D]

It appears I ain't gonna' get a good car until I've been driving for a year so...

Selling the car, doing my CBT, getting a 125 (when I know a bit more about them) and going on that until September, at which time I'll have shed-loads of cash and a bit more age / experience behind me to get something I'll be happy with.

Case pretty much closed, thanks.

Tom

16. Dr Delirium Forum Member

Fair enuff, just keep safe on those deathtraps! ;)

17. MrBen Forum Junkie

Who is this 'they'? You complain about sweeping generalisations and then make these strange complaints as if somebody is out to get you!

200 to learn to operate a very dangerous machine doesn't sound a lot to me - virtually any other training you may undertake is cheaper, and is usually far less critical in terms of danger to life. If I send a member of staff on a day's training just to learn how to use a computer system it'll cost that!

Insurance is not overpriced - it's really underpriced if anything, which is why motor insurers generally make a loss!

I quite understand how difficult it is being a young driver - we've all been there, and survived it, and hard as it seems at the time, you find a way to finance it because you want to!

18. mk3anniversary Forum Member

Your not all in the same boat, there are cars out there that young people can insure, and while i accept its not cheap, you have to accept your a high risk. I know how expensive insurance is, I'm only 24 and I think only two or three times have I paid under 1k for insurance, but i've always had insurance, and I paid my insurance and stomached it because I wanted a fast car.(and my parent's aren't lottery winners)

You make it sound like you have no choice but to drive un-insured because the insurance establishment is against you, but do you blame them??? Young people count for most of the money they pay out, so why shouldn't they charge you the earth??

At the end of the day if you can't afford to insure the car you want then you shouldn't buy it. Get a 1.0 like most other people had to to start with and build up some NCB.

19. Dr Delirium Forum Member

Thats the thing i can afford my insurance, i`m only paying 925 thanks to some fluky quote from NU. Not bad for a 1.8 mk2 :lol:
    The they i complain about are those big business fatherless childs, making a loss my ass!
    Young drivers may be more risky true, but when they crash its often only their car that gets totalled because they just end up wrapping it round a tree. I realise you insurance bods will fly right back with "actually, our current research shows...." but it seems to me that there`s truth in that statement, and i`d love to see the figures that showed MOST (quantify most) insurance payouts are awarded to young drivers.
    I don`t understand why you feel the need to stick up for insurance companies the fact you work for one doesn`t mean you have to deny the fact that they`re greedy fatherless childs which give inflated quotes and most of the time do jackpoo for the money they`re given. No way do they make a loss otherwise how would they be floated and expect to keep a remotely steady share price? I wonder what % of their profits come into the hands of the real workers? (not the glorified slavedrivers)

20. MrBen Forum Junkie

Dr Delirium, that post simply shows just how far up your own arse your head is.

I quote some realistic information, and you then simply repeat the same old hearsay rubbish. YES, Insurers make a LOSS on motor insurance. Go and do some research and you will find this is true. They stay in business through investements and through other more profitable lines of insurance (Commercial Property for example).

I am not sticking up for insurance companies, I am simply trying to keep some fact involved in these strange little rants that we get on here from time to time from people who clearly are more interested in what their mate told them about insurance at playtime, than actual truth.